YFW today.. First of the season..

Hi all...

I went out for a cast.. First for the season.

Walked the outgoing and incoming left as the wind came in.. Got cold.

Went to a spot I know.. Found where they were.. Only fired up when the sun came out.. as the clouds builded they stopped.. I kept moving/exploring.. about 7ks

They were there in small numbers but very sluggish, wouldnt really commit, all nice sizes which is usual first start of the season. Managed to get 2, 39/36.. nice and golden, fat and heavy.. Beautiful fish.

Lost 3 due to floating weed/stuffing around setting drag, lost a very nice and heavy one. Got it close though.. It was big... Drag was too tight and got all tangled up in the only bit of floating cork weed about, pulled the hooks and was the first fish too! Wasnt happy..

Took everything I new to get them.. They would follow but not commit.. Was frustrating but I know they are starting to fire up.. need some HOT days...Were very active before lunch as the sun was shinning and it was warm.. died off when it cooled down.

Lots of salmon trout, Mullet were every were, bloody pain.. Seen heaps of gar in the shallows as well... Only seen 1 keeper crab but lots of small ones.. Water wasnt too warm.. but getting there.. not much floating weed.. Was a nice way to start the season..

Oh! lost 2 lures.. Bloody wind knots.. It was and old trusty and the other was a new funny one, it worked very well got 2 fish! Always happens with new lures and when I spool new line.. Oh well.. excuse to buy more.. Took 3 spare spools and used 2.. Happy with the new line.. Casted well after it settled down.

Mike

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

7.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

Nice! We went out, mate got 1 good size, plenty there but they were fussy and then vanished. I topped up dinner with a good batch of STs in that mid 20's size. To be truthful I wasn't sure which was the YF and which was the STs, but perhaps that's cos the chef was good.

I have to make myself a tub, the shoulder bag is limiting.

A nice couple of beauties to start the season with Mike.  👏 👍 👏   Great to see you seize the small window of opportunity that there was. 

It really has been poor weather and late start to the season, this year.  And it has since turned to crap again.  I have managed to get quite a few with bait in August this year but have not yet had a surface lure session. 

Hopefully this Thursday.

9 hours ago, Des said:

A nice couple of beauties to start the season with Mike.  👏 👍 👏   Great to see you seize the small window of opportunity that there was. 

It really has been poor weather and late start to the season, this year.  And it has since turned to crap again.  I have managed to get quite a few with bait in August this year but have not yet had a surface lure session. 

Hopefully this Thursday.

Yep.. been crappy weather... Maybee later..

I just found out that the my favourite lure that works that I lost isnt available.. Looked every where.. Bummer.. Not happy... Oh well, will have to find another type..

I decided to have a fish from the beach at Parsons YP over the long weekend using seaweed worms just to see what was about. Had 4 keepers in about half an hour. 2 were in the 34cm range much to my surprise and very fat. If this is a precursor to the summer I will be a happy man. Last summer was a total loss. What lures are you using? I am a bait man myself but getting sand worms isn't doing my back any good, so might have to try the lures.

14 hours ago, Meppstas said:

Looks like there was enough to keep you busy, a couple of nice solid fish caught too, well done.. " Wind knots " don't you just hate them. I know I do and it always seems to happen during a long cast...😡

cheers

Adrian

Yes mate.. Always seems to happen when you want that little extra distance.. But I have found that after a few wind knots on new braid.. It does settle down.. I have to remember not to use my best lures with new spooled line..

Hi all...

I went out today..

Tried some where new.. Really a scout as winds and tides were good for me. Walked the out going and the incoming.. It was a long day.. Walked about 9ks today.

Anyways.. Water was coldish.. No warm bits really. Was clear but a lot of tape weed about...

Plenty of salmon trout about.. Says a lot!... Only found 1 patch where they were... There was a small group of them, all nice sizes.. Got one 36cm. Lost 1 about the same. Very timid/scitish.. They would only hit the lure once and go.. Change lure and again, hit it once. Then they would follow but wouldnt grab it, just turn away at the last minute. Frustrating... I recon I was lucky to get the one I did. Where they were was where I found some fresh noodling holes.. Muddy grew stinky mud..

I Moved on, walked about and as the tide started to turn I went there again on the way back.. and yep, they were there.. But same again.. Didnt get 1.. I couldnt hang around as the tide was coming..

As I was walking back to the car.. I was casting in the fast moving very weedy water, staying about shin deep.. I seen plenty zooming about, but I didnt have a chance to much fast flowing weed....

I didnt see one crab? Plenty of puffers.. Plenty of mullet and gar.. Too many salmon..

All in all it was a good day, found some new areas. Got a fish!.. and didnt loose any lures... Got 2 wind knots, 2 spools.. Ide rather change the spool when I get a knot I cant get out.. Way better than chancing a lure!.

Mike

1.JPG

7.JPG

6.JPG

5.JPG

3.JPG

2.JPG

Good work Mike. I love exploring new spots.

Sometimes it gets me into trouble and deep water 😂 But the rewards are worth it.

They are still a little shy in my spots. Only a couple on lures last couple of trips. I have tested the waters with bait and there are plenty around.

This season has had a slow start. And looking ahead at the weather it will be that way for a while.

Just have to keep searching for those warm pockets of water and the right conditions.

Cheers, Des 

On 11/10/2022 at 2:20 PM, Des said:

Good work Mike. I love exploring new spots.

Sometimes it gets me into trouble and deep water 😂 But the rewards are worth it.

They are still a little shy in my spots. Only a couple on lures last couple of trips. I have tested the waters with bait and there are plenty around.

This season has had a slow start. And looking ahead at the weather it will be that way for a while.

Just have to keep searching for those warm pockets of water and the right conditions.

Cheers, Des 

Sunday might be ok...

Hi all..

Went out for a scout/cast today.. Tried some where new.. Walked the out going and incoming.. About 5 ks.. Not a biggy..

Water temp was warmish, Getting there.. Water was clear but patches of tape weed about....

Found a spot where they were.. Only were about where I found noodling holes... There wasnt too many of those either. They were concentrated in a few patches/areas only.. They were active, but fussy. Lure changers was the key. New lure = 1 fish, repeat.. Managed to get 6,, Not big ones but ok.. From 30-34cm.. Fat and healthy though.. Lost 3.. Weed tangles... At one spot they were hanging in the deeper gutter edge/run off area. I had to cast over some weed mounds to get them.. They were moving around that area.. I just stayed put and when they swan by Ide cast.. I was sight casting them.. Great fun.. They would hit the lure just as it hit the water and I started to retrieve.. Had to be quick as it was very close to the weed edge when they hit the lure..

After a bit they wernt taking the lures, just follow and turn away.. I moved on and found some more in roughly same type of area.. Got 2, lost 1 there.

It died down as the tide went low.. So I moved on and explored the area.. Mapped where I was and did some marks..

Plenty of salmon trout about, again? There every where.. Mullet, and some baby King George whiting.. Little buggers were smashing the lure in one spot.. Plaques of them.. I moved on.. 

I didnt see too many crabs.. Only in the one area.. Roughly the same area where the YFW were lingering about..

Lost another lure to a salmon trout.. First fish of the day and drag was too tight and it went under some heavy floating weed... Im loosing a few this season.. I didnt loose any last season.. Lucky I buy 2 or 3 each time.. Dont tell the wife..

Used 1 spool.. Snapp off.

All in all it was a good day, very promising area which Ill go back to later..

Mike

1.JPG

2 (2).JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

PA151535.JPG

PA151537.JPG

PA151540.JPG

PA151545.JPG

PA151550.JPG

PA151551.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all.

I went out today. Just went local... Walked the out going and the incomming.. Was a long day....

Water was warm, clear and a little tape weed about.. Winds were all over the place.. Was 15ks first thing so a noisy lure was the go. As the wind dropped off I went to my searching lure..

Not many about,, They were not in groups.. Only one here and there.. And they were not really interested in lures. I managed 1 @ 36cm and fat.. Lost 2.. Me stuffing around with drag and weed..

Heaps of nice mullet about smashing lures. Nice sizes to.. 28cm and fat.. Lots of very small Silvers about.. Agressive little buggers today.. A few puffers about...

Seen heaps of decent YFW as the tide turned when I was walking in.. But way too much fast moving weed.. I tried and failed.. Same thing.. One here and there and not really in groups.. But they were big.. And a few nice KGW swimming about as well..

Lost 1 lure and changed spools 3 times.. Wind knots./snap off....

Was a good day....

Mike

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

PB081560.JPG

PB081565.JPG

PB081566.JPG

PB081567.JPG

PB081568.JPG

PB081575.JPG

PB081576.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all.

I went for a cast today. Went some where I havnt been so far this season..

Walked the out going and the incoming.. 8.7ks and 8hours.. Long day..

Water was clear, winds were good and not much floating weed about.

Managed to get 3 @ around 35-36cm.. Nice fat and healthy. Lost 2.

Lots about but they were very scattered and not really in groups... Makes it harder as there is no competition amongst them.. They were not really interested in lures,, Theyd casually follow them and turn away when they got close to me.. Over and over it happened... Kept changing lures and only the 1 type/colour worked today... The ones I got smashed the lure as soon as it hit the water.. Happens often.. Must startle them and they grab it..

The tide was low enough for me to get right out to a sand bar I know there... There were plenty of them, casually swimming about, not a care in the world, but not feeding and didnt really run from me, just kept their distance... I didnt get any here. I tried and tried.. But had to leave as I was out a ways and didnt want to get caught out.. I left that area in frustration.... Next time..

Plenty of small YFW about in large numbers and they were hitting the lure... I kept moving when I found them as they are a pain..

Lots of puffers hitting the lure, Lots of small crabs and a few bigger ones.. Lots of mullet feeding. Lots and lots of small stuff about.

I learnt something new today. I managed to startle a prawn out of its hole.. I got it... This is what we are trying to mimic guys..... I let it go and watched how it escaped me.. I took note how it moved. I did some casts to see if I could do the same.. Got it in the end and the little YFW went spastic. Pitty this happened when I was nearly done for the day as I didnt see any big guys.. Next time..

Used 3 spools and no lost lures.. I tried a new line today.. Very thin and casts for miles..

All in all it was a good day out..

Mike

2.JPG

1.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

PB251589.JPG

PB251592.JPG

PB251599.JPG

PB251605.JPG

PB251606.JPG

PB251607.JPG

On 25/11/2022 at 8:24 PM, MIKECATTS said:

Used 3 spools and no lost lures.. I tried a new line today.. Very thin and casts for miles..

Some just rewards for the effort. But every trip teaches you a bit more or offers something new 👍

What is the new line Mike? Any better than Kastking?

Would love to see a video of that prawn moving. I have searched for some in the past with no success.

Should any one find one, please post it up here.

Cheers, Des

3 hours ago, Des said:

@yellow door 1 finds all sorts of YouTube videos. 😀

See if you can find one of fleeing prawns 👍 🙂

I have looked and can't seem to find any

Maybe try prawning vids - where guys go at night with lights and underwater cameras - you'd see a variety of fleeing I imagine

Or a night wade over the flats would give you a first hand view and maybe get a tasty feed of gars and prawns

4 hours ago, yellow door 1 said:

Maybe try prawning vids - where guys go at night with lights and underwater cameras - you'd see a variety of fleeing I imagine

Or a night wade over the flats would give you a first hand view and maybe get a tasty feed of gars and prawns

Thanks Man 😀 I knew you would find some 👍

Yes I do go wading at night on a few occasions. I always see them skipping along on the surface. However they are the smaller juveniles. 

On 27/11/2022 at 4:20 PM, Des said:

Some just rewards for the effort. But every trip teaches you a bit more or offers something new 👍

What is the new line Mike? Any better than Kastking?

Would love to see a video of that prawn moving. I have searched for some in the past with no success.

Should any one find one, please post it up here.

Cheers, Des

I have the 9lb.. casts for miles and at a good price to. May be an image of text that says "Product parameters LEYDUN 0.4" 100m 7-984437000237 THINNER PEX4LINE 0.4 THINNER Ex4LINE 100m Line No. Length (m) 100/150 0.2 Diameter (mm) Pull Force (kg) 4.2 0.4 Pull Force (lb) 0.06 100/150 0.6 0.10 9 5 0.8 0.12 11 100/150 100/150 5.5 0.14 12 6.1 13.4 Pull Force Do Not Equal Fish Weight, Pull Force For Fish Water Is Several Times Than ts Own Weight. The Parameter Above Measured By Machine For Several Times And Get Average Value"

10 hours ago, Des said:

Yes I do go wading at night on a few occasions. I always see them skipping along on the surface. However they are the smaller juveniles. 

Des.. It was a unique way it moved.... It skipped out of the water, about 1/2 a meter landed and skipped again. I mimicked how it did it.. and wow... The little YFW smashed it when it landed.. Explains why the keeper fish I got hit the lure as it hit the water. I could see where they were and was casting right on top of them.. 

2 hours ago, MIKECATTS said:

Des.. It was a unique way it moved.... It skipped out of the water, about 1/2 a meter landed and skipped again. I mimicked how it did it.. and wow... The little YFW smashed it when it landed.. Explains why the keeper fish I got hit the lure as it hit the water. I could see where they were and was casting right on top of them.. 

Thanks. 🙏

Yes I know how the lure gets hit as soon as it lands on the water. When water is deeper & cooler it often is ST. But in shallower warm water its the large YFW that pounce on it straight away.

I think I might experiment with a new retrieve style. Skipping the lure out and dropping it back into the water. Need to think which lure size and shape might best suit this action.

I feel MMD Splash Prawn might best suit the retrieve.  I am also thinking a couple of others that have not had a run for years: Zipbaits Zoea or Ecogear PX45F. Will keep you posted.

15 hours ago, Des said:

No worries - yeah it seems no retrieve could be too violent when the prawns are in full panic mode.

Fish are much better at tracking stuff through the air than I first thought.

I remember being on a 3 story boat that takes tourist snorkeling up north - my mate left her camera on the second story, near where I was and asked me to get it.

It was a cheap disposable with a float - so I threw it near her, off the balcony - she got swamped by all sorts of reef fish. I could see them tracking the camera as soon as it left my hands.

The staff on those boats throw fish scraps off the side to feed them, so they are well trained to investigate stuff thrown into the water. But from a birds eye view - it was interesting to see how well they can see up through the surface of the water. And how quickly they can lock onto an airbourne target

The way I fish.. I use a fast retrieve..... Always keeping it moving and have the lure doing eratic movements. With the new technique I tried the other day,, It was still fastish but doing something a little different while retrieving.. Seemed to work on the little guys.. Just need to try on the big ones now..

• 3 weeks later...