Expensive squid jigs - worth it?

I was always a user of cheaper jigs. But over time I've bought a few better ones just to see if I was missing something. Apart from build quality, the expensive ones do swim a bit better and don't get snagged as much as they are better balanced.

Then I thought I'd look closer at the barbs. I'll let you decide from the pics below. All are the same magnification 132x, some focussed a bit better than others, and some measuring lines just for a bit of reference.

First up, Duel Dartmaster EZ-Q Search #3.0

image.png.7ad5d574a306992cd07ae54d562eeac2.png

Next is Shimano Flash Boost (poor focus sorry)
image.png.3e5a24777ef211abfcc86da085f41108.png

Then for a bit of difference, a Ebay cheapie
image.png.26ca5c1437381dad4944b60579e8392e.png

Daiwa - the one with a bit of opal in the back
image.png.00ba6fc29dd0acac4261ece93d7e8838.png

Neptune Tackle cheapie - well used I think
image.png.a7b36c58706ed5b27032f5364096ffc2.png

Aliexpress real fish type
image.png.73c25468125880a3ab4c3381e1d73c74.png

Aliexpress bibbed minnow swim type, pointy but soft steel (next 2 pics)

image.png.557582b1f2f96e8fa7d9328be20c9914.png
image.png.4ecd0c1d4d917adaf88c5313a89a149a.png

We get screwed in Australia with jig prices, very tempting to go cheap, but if you do they will likely need a touch up with a diamond file.

Great pics

I don’t pay over $2 a jig

im not what you’d describe as a serious squid fisherman

my cheapies have no problem penetrating squid flesh. A jigs effectiveness seems entirely based on who’s line it’s tied to in my limited experience. 

3 blokes using the exact same $2 jig. 1 guy gets none - 1 guy gets 3 - and the last guy gets 8 over the same time casting at the same water. 

so the guy who got none will go out and buy $20 jigs the next week because the $2 dont work. And he will get better over time and start attributing the suckers to the new jigs.

But the guy who got 8 about as quick as you can catch squid can stick with $2 jigs because it would be harder to catch squid faster than he already catches them

I spend quite a bit of time squid fishing. I have lots of expensive jigs (but I don't pay the expensive prices 😉). If fishing a new area I'll put on a cheap jig until I'm confident that I'm not going to just get snagged all the time.

When squid are plentiful, it doesn't really make much difference what jig you use or even what technique you use.

But overall, I do think the more expensive jigs make a difference, particularly when land based fishing. Firstly, they are better balanced, so are much less prone to tumbling when casting and you get better distance. They are also better balanced in the water, so when working the jig you get a better darting action which can get more strikes from timid squid. The build quality of the expensive jigs is also better and tends to last better, the crowns are less likely to rust and I find the cloths get torn up less (not an issue if fishing nude jigs).

But I'm not paying $20+ for expensive jigs, I'm paying $10-$12.

Another aspect of the expensive jigs is you can buy them with different sink rates, so you can have slow sinking jigs for shallow reefy/weedy areas. This gives the jig more time in the strike zone and also reduces the chances of snags

If on a budget, you can instead use a float rig in these areas. By using a slip float you can set the depth so you don't snag the bottom, cast out and still use a jerking style retrieve, to have a similar effect as the Japanese style of jerking and ripping the jig.

I strongly believe that the more expensive jigs are almost always better in every way, better quality and designed hooks (cheapies tend to rust instantly) stronger construction and more squid attracting ability, I'd go so far as to say this is basically a fact and have come to this conclusion having targeted squid from pre yo-zuri days 35+ years ago including a 6 month stint as a pro deckie 15-20 years ago during which time I'd have caught more squid than I'll ever catch for the entire rest of my life, just so many squid. 

However 2 out 3 times it simply doesn't matter, especially recreationally, because hungry squid are about the easiest thing to catch in the ocean and you're unlikely to be catching so many your jags break.

I only get expensive jigs personally but that's because I know they last longer so it's more about not having to stock up as often as opposed to the odd occasion they work better and given I also only buy when they're on clearance somewhere it probably works out cheaper for me long term this way.

Of course it's true what Rybak said, a meat jag, especially in conjunction with a Tommie teaser will outsquid artificials everytime.

I watched a video recently, they used the old style and the new style with a camera watching the squid. The squid were far more aggressive on the newer style jigs and hooked themselves easily. The old style clearly works but maybe takes more skill.

I will be buying mostly the good lures now, mainly because I've decided the pointy bits are the most important thing when fishing.

5 hours ago, Wert said:

I strongly believe that the more expensive jigs are almost always better in every way, better quality and designed hooks (cheapies tend to rust instantly) stronger construction and more squid attracting ability, I'd go so far as to say this is basically a fact and have come to this conclusion having targeted squid from pre yo-zuri days 35+ years ago including a 6 month stint as a pro deckie 15-20 years ago during which time I'd have caught more squid than I'll ever catch for the entire rest of my life, just so many squid. 

However 2 out 3 times it simply doesn't matter, especially recreationally, because hungry squid are about the easiest thing to catch in the ocean and you're unlikely to be catching so many your jags break.

I only get expensive jigs personally but that's because I know they last longer so it's more about not having to stock up as often as opposed to the odd occasion they work better and given I also only buy when they're on clearance somewhere it probably works out cheaper for me long term this way.

Of course it's true what Rybak said, a meat jag, especially in conjunction with a Tommie teaser will outsquid artificials everytime.

None of mine cheapies have rusted at all..............Just wash straight afterwards, thats it & put into a dedicated squid container. When the cloth has been chewed to bits just get another cheapie...Dearer ones I used previously have the same issue with the cloth cover getting hacked after one day use when the squid are on - there goes your $20 + jig. Not worth it IMO.

With sink rates, you can add a small sliding sinker, split shots to line or the weight on the jag itself, small cable tie a glow stick to top of jag etc etc. 

1 hour ago, Rybak said:

None of mine cheapies have rusted at all..............Just wash straight afterwards, thats it & put into a dedicated squid container. When the cloth has been chewed to bits just get another cheapie...Dearer ones I used previously have the same issue with the cloth cover getting hacked after one day use when the squid are on - there goes your $20 + jig. Not worth it IMO.

With sink rates, you can add a small sliding sinker, split shots to line or the weight on the jag itself, small cable tie a glow stick to top of jag etc etc. 

The cloth is way tougher on expensive ones, when using cheap ones I've had the cloth come off just casting and retrieving (though a jag stripped of cloth can work fine) and no cloth at all on the good old oita in red/yellow with white belly, one of my all time faves, also as my wife says "never pay full price"

Rubbish durability is the biggest issue with cheapies in my experience, had a few just fail, never an issue for better quality ones and for me at the small difference in initial outlay which I make up in time it's an easy decision to go the more expensive jag.

Each to their own I guess.

No worries. I'll just keep buying 4 cheapie jags for the price of 1 expensive one. Actually, I usually buy bulk when the cheapies are on sale or when online sites have them at good prices. 

Bye the way, I bagged out twice last long weekend on the cheapies........😉

• 8 months later...

I have well ova 100 squid jags from free to $30 and have caught them on cheap ones to dear ones but I do have about 5 of my go to. Jags and if used with the technique I wrote up under squid then it don't matter if it a cheap one or a dear one as long as it's right colour as the sink rates don't apply

Cheers and share the ink