DAIWA LAGUNA LT 6000

I've only given them an in shop spin but they do seem nice, I also note that they have the quality drag system found on the higher end reels which is nice.

I do have an exceller which is pretty similar and my only complaint is a bit of body twist under heavy load which my higher end reels don't have, not much but noticeable, I suspect the Laguna will be basically the same.

At the price point though that or a Shimano will be good safe value.

HOWEVER, even though I'm a real (reel?) Daiwa fanboy, at that $100 mark especially matched on an ugly stick for some all round dirty work, I'd be going a Penn Spinfisher SSM everyday.

5 hours ago, Wert said:

I've only given them an in shop spin but they do seem nice, I also note that they have the quality drag system found on the higher end reels which is nice.

I do have an exceller which is pretty similar and my only complaint is a bit of body twist under heavy load which my higher end reels don't have, not much but noticeable, I suspect the Laguna will be basically the same.

At the price point though that or a Shimano will be good safe value.

HOWEVER, even though I'm a real (reel?) Daiwa fanboy, at that $100 mark especially matched on an ugly stick for some all round dirty work, I'd be going a Penn Spinfisher SSM everyday.

Thanks, I checked out the Penn Spinfisher SSM range. The 650 SSM has a max drag of only 4kg and weighs 680 grams (about the same as my Saragosa 10000) At the top of the range, the 950 SSM only has a max drag of 7kg but weighs 978 grams. The Daiwa Laguna LT 6000-c has a max drag of 12kg and only weighs 375 grams. I think I will probably get the Laguna.

32 minutes ago, TENNANT said:

Thanks, I checked out the Penn Spinfisher SSM range. The 650 SSM has a max drag of only 4kg and weighs 680 grams (about the same as my Saragosa 10000) At the top of the range, the 950 SSM only has a max drag of 7kg but weighs 978 grams. The Daiwa Laguna LT 6000-c has a max drag of 12kg and only weighs 375 grams. I think I will probably get the Laguna.

Yeah the drag rating says that but I can assure you that the Penn has all the stopping power you'll ever need on a 7kg outfit you'd probably be good up to about 30lb, drag ratings are marketing as much as anything, though the Daiwa ATD is nice and a bit smoother than the penn HT100 (I fish them side by side often) 12kg is what you'd run for tuna and complete overkill.

The weight is relevant for balance and on the old ugly stik is a heavy rod with heavy components so should balance up nicely with the extra weight, if it's one of the new carbon ones different story.

The Penn is also bulletproof that extra 300g odd of weight is basically structural strength.

At the end of the day it's your decision and you should always get what you feel comfortable with and the Daiwa would be a decent choice, I just thought I'd explain my thought process a bit so you could see where I was coming from.