A sustained warm spell has held the Gulf water temperatures at around 22 to 23C for a few weeks now.

Since Christmas day the water temperatures in the upper gulfs have remained in the high range.

Nice Christmas present !!! This is about a month later than normal.

It is the sustained higher temperatures over a prolonged period that changes the dynamics of these gulf ecosystems, along  with the behaviour and physiological responses of its participants.

Currently the Yellow Fin Whiting have become voracious hunters and predators.

When water temperatures are at this level, It is a rare session when you will not catch a good feed of solid sized YFW.

With high metabolisms and big appetites any water movement in or out of their feeding areas triggers an aggressive response from these fish. So target YFW during these periods of water movement. Even on dodge tides where the fish are concentrated in a smaller water mass. Just a little movement produces a big response from the YFW.

I followed the late run off and early run in tide on this session for some quality fish on this session.

I kept 12 fish over 35cm. Three fish were around 40cm.

They are great fighters in shallow water on surface lures.

I was fishing a new spot so I did not experiment with many lures.

Intending to limit the variables for a good assessment of the new spot.

All fish were taken on the surface with the Sugapen 95 - Colour: MB16.

Happy Hot Sessions to all.

Cheers, Des

20230111_132247 copy.jpg

20230111_202326 copy.jpg

20230111_202356 copy.jpg

20230111_210353 copy.jpg

2 hours ago, mrfish said:

Very nice catch. Did you examine gut contents at all? curious to know what they have been feeding on

ALWAYS !!! 😅   I gut my fish before leaving the water.

This lot ... Haswell Crabs in the larger ones and Lug Worms in the smaller ones. The big morning tide ( in daylight ) would have given them plenty of access to the Samphire beds holding the Haswell crabs. Lug worms are abundant on the sandflats. 

CrabHaswellsCollage.jpeg

If a large morning tide occurs mainly before daylight, there is a higher incidence of Prawns in their guts. Prawns are primarily nocturnal. Although the YFW can access them buried in the sand where they hide during daylight hours and are occasionally disturbed out of hiding. Often by Stingrays. So it is not uncommon to see YFW close to feeding Stingrays. 

I have only caught one YFW on a Cranka Crab lure. I think I have to use them in the Crab habitat and not on the flats.

The Sugapen 95 in Col-MB16 I feel mimics the prawns best. The Ecogear ZX43 blade mimics a disturbed fleeing prawn in the sand. 

PrawnGut.jpeg

PrawnGut3.jpg