Daiwa Laguna reels

Ok after my newest Diawa Laguna reel 2500 size had a malfunction with the bail arm to get it fixed . Need to mail it off is it worth it money wise . So I dusted off the same model from many years ago 1000 size so tiny got her spooled up with 5 lb braid this morning I had a dream before my TBI bigger fish on smaller lighter gear . See if I can do that now ! I’ve noticed again this size 1000 is smaller than shimano sienna 1000.

IMG_8232.jpeg

Ive had very mixed experiences with Daiwa's service department Ranging from 6 months waits - reels being sent back with the problem not fixed but fully charged - reels being sent back with a part missing and them not apologising or taking any responsibility and telling me to send my reel back to them so they could confirm it was their fault - which would cost more than the part was worth ............. but on my last interaction, a new guy sent me a bearing, free of any charges, even though I explained it wasnt their fault. 

I have a suspicion that the reel you send them, governs the level of service you receive. High end reels seem to get a better level of communication and care.

I have found Penn and Shimanos service departments to be much more humble and accommodating. Especially when they make an error like sending you the wrong part. 

These days I try to fix as many problems I can by myself - the price of spare parts and postage is a bit steep - $10 postage on a $7 plastic washer that weighs less than a gram when you buy direct from Diawa, is a bit much - especially when their service department forgot to put it back in when servicing it and wouldnt take responsibility for it- but its cheaper than sending my reel back in and waiting for them to get around to fixing it.

I get the impression that if a local tournament angler - a sponsored angler - a mate of a mate - a relative - or a social media guru shows up and wants their stuff looked at - guess whos reel goes to the back of the queue. Their understaffed service department will get to your reel when there's nothing better to do.

I always grin when I hear sponsored guys or valued customers talk about the great level of service they get from service departments.

Ive seen first hand what happens when a valued customer walks into a boat mechanics and plonks a whole heap of problems on their desk - they down tools on what ever job they were on - charge that time to the other client, who's boat they were working on - and get it done.😉

So in short - its only worth sending the reel off if you have the time to wait and cant work out how fix it yourself. 

10 minutes ago, yellow door 1 said:

Ive had very mixed experiences with Daiwa's service department Ranging from 6 months waits - reels being sent back with the problem not fixed but fully charged - reels being sent back with a part missing and them not apologising or taking any responsibility and telling me to send my reel back to them so they could confirm it was their fault - which would cost more than the part was worth ............. but on my last interaction, a new guy sent me a bearing, free of any charges, even though I explained it wasnt their fault. 

I have a suspicion that the reel you send them, governs the level of service you receive. High end reels seem to get a better level of communication and care.

I have found Penn and Shimanos service departments to be much more humble and accommodating. Especially when they make an error like sending you the wrong part. 

These days I try to fix as many problems I can by myself - the price of spare parts and postage is a bit steep - $10 postage on a $7 plastic washer that weighs less than a gram when you buy direct from Diawa, is a bit much - especially when their service department forgot to put it back in when servicing it and wouldnt take responsibility for it- but its cheaper than sending my reel back in and waiting for them to get around to fixing it.

I get the impression that if a local tournament angler - a sponsored angler - a mate of a mate - a relative - or a social media guru shows up and wants their stuff looked at - guess whos reel goes to the back of the queue. Their understaffed service department will get to your reel when there's nothing better to do.

I always grin when I hear sponsored guys or valued customers talk about the great level of service they get from service departments.

Ive seen first hand what happens when a valued customer walks into a boat mechanics and plonks a whole heap of problems on their desk - they down tools on what ever job they were on - charge that time to the other client, who's boat they were working on - and get it done.😉

So in short - its only worth sending the reel off if you have the time to wait and cant work out how fix it yourself. 

I was actually thinking the amount of money I paid for the reel under $100 don’t  recall exactly maybe $75 or less .  Was it worth getting fixed if we factor in postage . Then I remembered the 1000 which is smaller than my shimano sienna 1000 I thought new braid might be the way to go .

Now I looked at the Laguna 2500 bail arm and my exceller 2500 bail arm . No wonder the exceller cost me the same amount as the Samaki rod I’m using . Big differences Laguna 2500 casts further than the exceller but exceller is made with better parts it looks.

The old sienna 1000 label is peeling off but still performs fantastic .

hmm guess I’m saying the repair can wait 

hopefully the bulk braid on the 1000 Laguna than the J8 braid did on the 25000 Laguna had lots of issues with it 

16 minutes ago, Mickyj said:

I was actually thinking the amount of money I paid for the reel under $100 don’t  recall exactly maybe $75 or less .  Was it worth getting fixed if we factor in postage . Then I remembered the 1000 which is smaller than my shimano sienna 1000 I thought new braid might be the way to go .

Now I looked at the Laguna 2500 bail arm and my exceller 2500 bail arm . No wonder the exceller cost me the same amount as the Samaki rod I’m using . Big differences Laguna 2500 casts further than the exceller but exceller is made with better parts it looks.

The old sienna 1000 label is peeling off but still performs fantastic .

hmm guess I’m saying the repair can wait 

hopefully the bulk braid on the 1000 Laguna than the J8 braid did on the 25000 Laguna had lots of issues with it 

Yeah things are made to break these days - its part of every good business plan😉 And noone seems more enthusiastic about applying the theory than fishing reel manufacturers ;)

A light bulb that lasts for 50 years - only needs to be repurchased once every 50 years - but if you make them last a couple of years - then you can sell a hell of alot more bulbs.

There an intersting doco on "Planned Obsolescence". Its starts with the light bulb - they actually had to work bloody hard to get them to break sooner😮

1 hour ago, yellow door 1 said:

Yeah things are made to break these days - its part of every good business plan😉 And noone seems more enthusiastic about applying the theory than fishing reel manufacturers ;)

A light bulb that lasts for 50 years - only needs to be repurchased once every 50 years - but if you make them last a couple of years - then you can sell a hell of alot more bulbs.

There an intersting doco on "Planned Obsolescence". Its starts with the light bulb - they actually had to work bloody hard to get them to break sooner😮

Thanks for that 

I've had the same problem with several Daiwa reels ( Exceler, Fuego, Legalis ) and had them repaired at a tackle store in Devonport at a cost of $90-00,  every one of those reels was due the bail arm not flicking back. The problem with every one of the reels was because the bail trip levers were made of a soft alloy that breaks at it's narrowest point. Even after having them repaired two of them have got the same problems again after three trips to the river while trout fishing. So those reels are now in their original boxes and that's where they're staying. The only Daiwa reel that I've never had a problem with is the Revros spinning reel which still gets used once a week during the trout season. Over the past four years I've been using the Okuma spinning reels and thankfully never had a problem with them to date. 

1477103518_3-DaiwaExceler2004Hbailtriplevers..faultyparts...JPG.f768cbf38e6ab41a68add9d9920e5bc8.JPG

2 hours ago, Meppstas said:

I've had the same problem with several Daiwa reels ( Exceler, Fuego, Legalis ) and had them repaired at a tackle store in Devonport at a cost of $90-00,  every one of those reels was due the bail arm not flicking back. The problem with every one of the reels was because the bail trip levers were made of a soft alloy that breaks at it's narrowest point. Even after having them repaired two of them have got the same problems again after three trips to the river while trout fishing. So those reels are now in their original boxes and that's where they're staying. The only Daiwa reel that I've never had a problem with is the Revros spinning reel which still gets used once a week during the trout season. Over the past four years I've been using the Okuma spinning reels and thankfully never had a problem with them to date. 

1477103518_3-DaiwaExceler2004Hbailtriplevers..faultyparts...JPG.f768cbf38e6ab41a68add9d9920e5bc8.JPG

Thanks for that 

Ok seeing I’ve dusted this reel off and the weather is not great . Silly question years ago I had probably still have a shimano reel size 750. Are there any reels smaller than 1000 around . And I know there’s a size difference between Diawa and shimano the Laguna 1000 is tiny compared to my shimano sienna 1000.

21 hours ago, Mickyj said:

Are there any reels smaller than 1000 around .

Shimano make size 500 reels in some models for the overseas market, For example there is a Vanford 500 in some overseas markets. But you need to be extra cautious with these 500 size models, as they are not the same as the 1000 size and bigger. The Vanford 500 has a reverse switch on the bottom , much smaller gears and they are not Micro Module 2 gears like the bigger reels, which basically means they are not as well machined and hence not as smooth.

15 minutes ago, MAH said:

Shimano make size 500 reels in some models for the overseas market, For example there is a Vanford 500 in some overseas markets. But you need to be extra cautious with these 500 size models, as they are not the same as the 1000 size and bigger. The Vanford 500 has a reverse switch on the bottom , much smaller gears and they are not Micro Module 2 gears like the bigger reels, which basically means they are not as well machined and hence not as smooth.

Thanks MAH was thinking outside the box