Awesome fish! Interesting fly that, so rewarding to catch on your own tied fly. Cheers on the release.

Those rivers are great at times, but the amount of fertilizer washing into them is a bit of a problem regards weeds, reeds and algae. I'll be up there on the weekend to do some remedial work on one of them.

Historical Adelaide Hills river data says Browns will spawn from the end of May until June or July, Rainbows are later up until Sept. For that reason we don't fish the cooler months as we are no longer allowed to stock those rivers, so if the trout don't replace themselves on their own they will be gone forever.

In this particular system I've caught alot of rainbows this season, which I've never caught here before. Even took one home and ate it. Brined it. Put some fine dining chef skills on it. Still tasted like shit 🤣

Also I've noticed alot of baby's getting around. In schools. Between 20-50 fish in certain pools. Which is great to see. I've been told our trout eggs don't hatch here in s.a because they don't have the prop substrate (stones) to attach there eggs too.. so I assume there stocked fish. Which is great to see. Or somehow the fish have got lucky.. 

Thanks for all your comments. Cracking Male Buck.. very happy with the catch and release. 

None of the hills rivers are stocked these days, we're not allowed to. Luckily the Adelaide Hills is cool enough, salinity low enough, and the right gravel beds form for the trout to be able to spawn. Please be extra careful walking in the rivers during spawning season to not walk on gravel beds as that's where the eggs are. These are likely to be the wider/shallower parts which are where you'd like to cross but should avoid.

I was under the impression our fish don't have much success reproducing here. Just what I've been told.. but if they did. Wouldn't our waters have a much larger population? Some smaller clear water streams I've fished over the years seem to have the same fish every year. And no sign of any new residents/ fingerlings. Surely if they where breeding I Would have come across new fish. 

I'm moving to Wagga Wagga at the end of year for 3 years to support my partner whilst she finishes her veterinary degree. Getting pumped for some Snowy Mountain trout action and some murrumbidge surface encounters. 🤙