Braid - Leader, Who Ties a Bimini?

While sitting at home today watching a Berkley SP DVD they talk a lot about tying a Bimini twist in your braid before you tie on your leader, for Trout, Bream, Kings, Snapper etc, so the braid doubles in thickness to stop the braid cutting through your leader. Does anyone do this? as I'm interested in if it affects the casting and having an extra knot going through the guides? I tied a Bimini once as a practice in some mono at it was a piece of cake, got it right 1st time :D

Guest SuperThahn

I just double my line then trim still get the grip of the diameter but dont have another knot going through your guides. Biminis on my heavier braid though and an Aussie Plat on all my mono reels. Both of these knots tied properly are 100% strength

I use a bimini for everything except light braid(10 lb or less)on threadline reels. I then attach my leader with an albright. Neither the bimini or albright causes any trouble going through the guides. The exception to this occurs with the lighter braid as mentioned above. I have found a greater tendency to have a wind knot occur when using a bimini, I think the double sometimes blows open and wraps a guide, so in that case I use the slim beauty knot and it has been working fine. The advantage to the bimini/albright connection is it's strength, never had one fail, and when you get snagged on something and have to bust it off 90% of the time the leader will pop right at the lure so at least you get most of your rig back. I used to use the uni to uni knot for attaching a leader but I'll never go back.

I use an albright to tie my braid to leader, thanks to Ranger for putting me onto it ;), I have no probs with it at all and same as your self Plankton I've never had one fail ;) although I have had leaders break at the leader knot due to carelessness and not checking the leader ::). I have also used a uni to uni and not liked it. One night here at home I grabbed a spool of mono and tied 3 knots to test which one was the thinnest, a uni to uni, a 5 turns surgeons and a albright, I then ran my fingers along each knot and the albright had the smallest profile ;).