Bear in mind the I don't know anything about nets except a crab net which I seen being used.Today I seen a guy put a net in the port river, it was aprox 600 mm long and about 250 mm high and 250 deep with a hole in the centre of each end.He said he was using it to catch shitties.I am under the impression that nets are banned in the river and torrens island.I was not going to debate the issue as it is not worth getting into trouble for eg I don't need my head kicked in.Question: it this net legal or are all nets illegial in the river ??

Yea see what you mean Ranger..Bit like poaching i guess..Lazy bwastereds..I have a few operas for yabbies (ONLY)..When I lived In Queensland we had pots for the Mud crabs we used to catch, we had a creek right outside our back door..It was unreal..We had some good seasons an a row..little bream used to get caught in it too, poor little tykes..Heres a picc of one once.Posted Image

Said Big Ian: did it look like this?No, it is more like a square card board box about 600 mm high with a hole each end.Not that it matters because from the answers , nets are illegal period.He was there again today so probably only a matter of time before fisheries catch him.

When going for a walk on the jetty here where I am, I'm not racist :P , but I find the Japanese keep alot of under size fish that makes me livid.. :censored: :icon_evil: :icon_evil:Walking along I think "WHERE" are the fishery boys .hissy.I make a comment and a snide remark here and there to them..I hate it..I even had a so called friend, not any more coz I threw him over the jetty :P ;D ;) ( kidding ) who kept a squid the hood being no more than 2 inches, I mean come on.. :oHorrid.. But true bout not being friends any more..

I had to go and talk to a whole family of vietnamese at goolwa a couple of months back. They had a 20L bucket half full of cockles of which I discovered after a quick look were nearly all undersized. They were in the main carpark and there is signage everywhere stating the rules.I HATE how bloody ignorant everyone is, when I spoke to them they didn't care at all. How can you get it through peoples heads? I'm sick of seeing people with undersized fish, killing fish and throwing them back, fishing with 5 or 6 rods per person, leaving metres of line and hooks and bait bags all over the place.End rant

When going for a walk on the jetty here where I am, I'm not racist :P , but I find the Japanese keep alot of under size fish that makes me livid.. :censored: :icon_evil: :icon_evil:Walking along I think "WHERE" are the fishery boys .hissy.I make a comment and a snide remark here and there to them..I hate it..I even had a so called friend, not any more coz I threw him over the jetty :P ;D ;) ( kidding ) who kept a squid the hood being no more than 2 inches, I mean come on.. :oHorrid.. But true bout not being friends any more..

i keep squid that small they make excellent bait. Squid don't have a size limit so its well within his and my rights to take them

i keep squid that small they make excellent bait. Squid don't have a size limit so its well within his and my rights to take them
Wonder How long it will be before they bring in a size limit.. :stir: ;)

I have a couple of those nets and use them as Shrimp traps up the murray.Work excellent as well.Not illegal up there,tackle shops sell them as do places like Rays Outdoors,Big W ect.If you sew up the holes at each end they make excellent livebait keep nets.Cheers

Says Cal: If you sew up the holes at each end they make excellent livebait keep nets.I presume this is in relation to the pic of the trap ?I must be having a " Seniors " moment :D, if holes are sewn up, how do you get the live bait in and out ??There are only 2 holes I can see, one each end.

I have a couple of those nets and use them as Shrimp traps up the murray.Work excellent as well.Not illegal up there,tackle shops sell them as do places like Rays Outdoors,Big W ect.If you sew up the holes at each end they make excellent livebait keep nets.Cheers

Nope, they're not illegal.....when ya use them in the fresh for shrimp and yabbies.

When one calls it as it is seen imho that has nothing to do with being racist.It is a well known fact that people from one particular country will take every thing under the sun.Haven't not seen it myself but was told that one individual takes a mincer with him and fish are minced as soon as caught so fisheries have no hope of catching him unless he does it whilst they are there.Personally had some daggers thrown at me for returning under size fish, fortunately nothing was said.

Gidday calI think you will find those rectangle shrimp nets/traps are legal in the murray river ,one per person with tag or float with your name and address .Not sure about other fresh water rivers/streams in SA though might pay to check it out here. http://www.fishsa.com/shrimp.php SO long as it complies with legal measurements 40cm x20cmx20cm .mesh dia no more than 5mm, entrance funnel 3.5cm, its ok in freshwaterNOTE different story in salt water :police:cheers peelipeeli 14