maintaining your reels

I'm interested to know how you fisherpeople wash down your reels and how often this happens? The reason i ask is i hear heaps of different ways, and some are meant to be better than others?Basically when i get home from fishing i'll tighten up the drags of the reels used, light spray with the hose, and wipe down with an old rag.After about an hour of drying i always back the drags off.Some people say warm soapy water, some say after every few trips, and some weirdos actually take there rods and reels into the shower with them.... {SMILIES_PATH}/shocked.gifcheersBen {SMILIES_PATH}/cool.gif

hosing reels isn't always a good idea. If there is sand on the outside of the reel the hose will wash sand inside the reel. I use a damp cloth to wipe the sand and salt off. I lubricate the main shaft and sometime a lanolin stray to make it look new. I am a slacker though.

Guest Butters

I'll be honest.. when it comes to cleaning my reels i'm slacker than bennyboy line out on the boat.. I usually give them a hose of off with tight drags and a wet rag to wash the rod off.. after most uses.. give them a lube up every so often..

I give my reels a light rinse after every trip and then loosen the drag to let them dry,my mates are the i,ll do it later as i don,t want to spray it group hence they never do it. {SMILIES_PATH}/rolleyes.gifI give a full service about every 6 months,infact i did my crap bream reel today(slade) when i put it back together it was shocking so i pulled it down again and rotated it half a turn ,bingo, smoooth as its ever gonna get.If they are a bit worn they have to be put back in the same position. cheers brenton

I'm a slacko as well, I always say to myself, that I will clean the reels or at least give them a rinse down with water when I put things away, it hardly ever happens. I occasionally give them a spray of WD40 or RP7, if I think about it before I go out next time I will give them another squirt as well, I have had reels seize up on me when I have caught a fish, but I manage to get them going again after a couple of squirts of RP7. Then I promise to give them an overhaul next time when I'm home, somehow i run out of time and give them another squirt of WD40 for good measure.Now this is another thing I have been told and not sure if its true or not. Lube sprays dont do any harm to mono or braid, infact it can help to attract the fish.Can anyone shed any light on that one?.[/color:3bdyipc2]

I try not to get anything on my line except for water and fish. I heard sunscreen on your line can put the fish off the bite. My mother in law puts on make up and perfume when she goes fishing. She thinks her pleasant smell attracts the fish to her baits. She always beats me too. But that's not hard.

Personally i don't think it matters whether you rub stuff on your line, or smoke etc..I've watched smokers catch as many fish as the rest of us and vice versa.There may be some truth to this matter, but form what i've seen i'm not convinved as yet {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif

• 4 weeks later...

i usually clean them after every second trip. i know i should do it evry time but sometimes i get home at midnight and i'm starting work at seven. i should just take the time to do it.when i clean them though' i just tighten the drag and hose them off. efterwards i dry them with a cloth and back off the drags.shaneo

I find using warm mild soapy water with a damp cloth does the trick. I try to aviod spraying water on the reel as most reels are not water tight. then dry your reel with a dry cloth. After the you clean the reel give it a good spray of Inox or tackleguard etc. to repel any water thats hidding in the hard to get places, now leave the reel in a well ventilated area so the spray evaporates and dosnt smell ya house out.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm one of those that stands rods & reels in the corner while I'm showering(no hooks), if i don't they would never get cleaned. Tighten drags, bit of mild soap & rinse under luke warm water. Dried off (after me) & a light spray with Inox, then put away. Re grease each year & check drag surfaces. Never had a reel fail.Fished next to a local down the port once who out fished me 10 to 1. Found a prawn he had dropped in the dark. It smelt like it had been soaked in kerosine. Who knows?

I usualy give mine a clean up after every trip.Reading one of the posts on this site re Inox, I bought a can and gave it a spray as well.When ever I can I open up the reel and give it some "never seize" wonderful gear and guaranteedthat the reel wont seize ( unless something breaks inside).I don't know where it can be bought, I souvenired mine before I left the saltmine 12 yrs ago.But if you can get it, very much recommended. {SMILIES_PATH}/cool.gif

Hi guys,I clean my stuff every time, external wash with freshwater & a sponge only, then a light spray with Tackleguard (made by CRC for tackle) it does not dry out bearings, bushes etc like WD40 or RP7 nor does it damage line like petroleum based sprays.Reel manufacturers (most) suggest annual servicing, as a lot of the more advanced reels now require special lubricants with teflon & silicons, significant gear & bearing damage can occur if incorrect lubes are used. My advice, take it or leave it, DO NOT open gear cases unless reel has been dunked or extreme use ie Yak fishing or swamped beach fishing. External clean only. Finatic