Australian Herring??

What's with the obsession with inappropriate fish names? Not being from here originally maybe it's just me, but why can't fish have their own unique names? Every time I mention to mates around the world that I've been catching salmon I have to explain that, no, it's not the fish that the rest of the world knows as salmon, but the Australian salmon which is completely unrelated. Then there's the more confusing salmon trout, which took me awhile to realize is just a small salmon. Now they want to call tommy ruffs Australian herring. Why change the name of a fish from it's own unique and appropriate name to something more confusing, especially when tommy's are not even a member of the herring family as far as I know? I understand that different locales have always had different names for the same fish, but why purposely make things more confusing now, in the age of information, when the world shares such a common language? I'll still call them tommys, so not really a big deal, but things like this just make me wonder... :huh:

Im not an expert but I think they are a herring. In W.A. they do refer to them as Herring but here we call em Tommy Ruff's.Changing the names of fish is nothing new look at Callop they are refered to as Yellowbelly in every other state and Australian Bass are not a bass at all and in some country parts of NSW they do actually call them Perch as they are.Mulloway are refered to as Jewfish or Jewies in some parts of the country and what we call salmon trout here are referred to as bay trout in Vic. Some call Murray Cod Goodoo small Tailor are referred to as choppers Northern Bluefin tuna are actually Longfin tuna in fact fish names do tend to be change regularly with location.The list could go on but as confusing as it is thats the ways it is. :lol: Dont forget too that the same fish we catch here are also caught in other countries and guess what they have different names for many of these too :lol: cheerssnapps

Definitely different fish Softy but same family. Arripis trutta (Eastern Australian Salmon), Arripis truttaceus (Western Australian Salmon) and Arripis Georgianus (Australian Herring/Tommy Ruff) all belong to the Arripidae family. For the life of me I can't understand why juvenile salmon are called salmon trout though, they are just young western/eastern australian salmon.

I too was disappointed with changing the name, as local names for species have always existed.The official reason was to "standardise" the fish names around the country, but as far as I'm concerned, the Latin genus/species Arripis georgianus is already in place to standardise the name worldwide, and that is there because local names DO differ.So stick ya herrings, and give me back my bl**dy tommies! :P

I think if they wanted to standardize the name they should have gone with tommy ruff, at least it's a bit descriptive as tommys are rough to the touch, and I'm fairly sure they're not related to herring at all. Not sure why I care, seems the older I get the more I feel the need to complain about inane crap :lol:

When sending maggots over to Western Australia, we have always had to print Australian Herring on the back packaging.Also, when we first started sending them over we were requested to not print 'Gents' on the packaging as they don't know what it means, but to print 'Wogs' insteadWe were pretty shocked, but in WA, maggots are called wogs :blink:

aarron wrote:

When sending maggots over to Western Australia, we have always had to print Australian Herring on the back packaging.Also, when we first started sending them over we were requested to not print 'Gents' on the packaging as they don't know what it means, but to print 'Wogs' insteadWe were pretty shocked, but in WA, maggots are called wogs :blink:

What! racist WA pigs :angry:

In WA if you caught a MULLOWAY people would say: "Nice Jewie" (Jewfish) or "Nice Kingy" (Kingfish).If you caught a YELLOWTAIL KINGFISH people would say: "Nice Sea Kingy".It makes it furthermore confusing when there's another magnificent fish found in WA called the DHUFISH (prononced - you guessed it - Jewfish).Though it's not just the westerners that talk funny, I found some of the South Australian peculiarities a bit hard to adjust to at first:"Turn right at the STOBIE POLE." (everywhere else it's called a telegraph pole, power pole, etc)"Would you like some FRITZ?" (over west it's called Polony, over east it's called Devon)And SA is the only place I've found that has decided to do away with a standard measurement system:Imagine my initial disappointment to order a PINT of beer (EVERYWHERE else: 20 ounces or 512ml) and be handed a 425ml container of beer (EVERYWHERE else it's called a SCHOONER). However, I do feel better the next day after consuming 10 pints in SA.

Tako wrote:

Softy wrote:

Well in Melbourne if you have a cold/flu some people also refer that to having "the wog"

yeah but they are a bunch of Tards.
no disagreement there...I was across at coffins for the weekend too. The salmon trout where biting well. not many tommies in the bay. but ST where up to about breaking into the salmon sizing, a couple of nice 30+ cm fish.Tommies will always be tommies to me.
thefunkychicken wrote:

In WA if you caught a MULLOWAY people would say: "Nice Jewie" (Jewfish) or "Nice Kingy" (Kingfish).If you caught a YELLOWTAIL KINGFISH people would say: "Nice Sea Kingy".It makes it furthermore confusing when there's another magnificent fish found in WA called the DHUFISH (prononced - you guessed it - Jewfish).Though it's not just the westerners that talk funny, I found some of the South Australian peculiarities a bit hard to adjust to at first:"Turn right at the STOBIE POLE." (everywhere else it's called a telegraph pole, power pole, etc)"Would you like some FRITZ?" (over west it's called Polony, over east it's called Devon)And SA is the only place I've found that has decided to do away with a standard measurement system:Imagine my initial disappointment to order a PINT of beer (EVERYWHERE else: 20 ounces or 512ml) and be handed a 425ml container of beer (EVERYWHERE else it's called a SCHOONER). However, I do feel better the next day after consuming 10 pints in SA.

Dont forget we call our "Cockles" cockles not pippies, Stobie pole and fritz sounds about right lol.. ;)

In Qld the schooner was your 512ml and a pot or middie if south of the border was your 425. Pints we only got if you frequented a pommy pub. And dont get me started on Sa naming of localities, C O C Kburn Iron K N O B K n o b beach. Cockles. I still call em pippies. I think this is tellin us something. Can someone tell me what is a bloody stobie.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: