2009 Adelaide Boat Show

to some it has never been the same since it put it's stand prices up and lost all the fishing stores that used to go there as well as the boats, then to add insult it even left the show grounds and as said for some that was it :angry: to others it's still a great day/night out looking at a lot of boats and gear with dreams of owning one of the many there one day, or to pick up the bargain's on offer :woohoo: everyone to their own B) But doubt I'll ever go again as i slot into the first example hahahacheers chuck ;)

Chucky, your'e on the money hereA point of contention in itself, sure the show has moved to a heated, central location in the middle of winter, sure there is some lovely boats & accessories on display,there always wasbut,what about Carparking, other than for those on the stands?what about the extraordinate entry fees?what about the hot dogs & cokes that damn near cost more than the fuel to get there?what about the tackle stores that used to display some midyear bargains?what happened to the 200,000 plus people that used to frequent it at the freezing dodgy old hole at Wayville? More current attendances of under 50,000 are of the norm.Profiteeringnot by the trade, but by the organisations coordinating the events is the setback.For mine, do you think it is worth shifting half the shop to a stand of under 80 metres, to then man up 2 shops for that period, in the middle of Winter, in Adelaide?What about Security of stock & cash?The cost of mobile EFTPOS?Restocking over the weekend with everything shut?Hire of appropriate serving counters & slatwall?All for the right to receive a bill of over $6,000 just to be there let alone try & make a dollar at avenue that everybody expects something for nothing.Don't have my words misconstrued here, just to say it is not worth the while of a tackle only store, boats changes things. Sell 1 boat, stand paid for. Sell 5 boats, actually make a profit. Tackle at cut throat prices, good luck.It is not hard to imagine why Pacific or Pitmans were not there, the floor space they need would be over $50k let alone the logistics of moving stock & risk of damage & theft.Thanks, but No Thanks organizers.Finatic

Went to it last year, the first time at the convention centre and to say it was a disappointment was a understatement, few displays, boats on display out of reach of the ordinary bloke unless you had just won lotto, high entry cost, refreshments costs (read beer) were a joke.Didn't see any bargins, appeared that all were out to profit, FA fishing stands, the shows at Goolwa are better value so based on this I won't bother.Should have left it at the showgrounds.

• 2 weeks later...

Totally agree that since it has left Wayville it has never been the same. After not going for a couple of years I thought I'd go along and have a look this year and sadly it hasn't got any better. :( I'm certainly not blaming the tackle shops here as I understand the cost of setting up is a big hurdle but seriously not having any major fishing tackle on display is a joke. Also the lack of boating accessories was also puzzling. :S The boats on display were fine but the lack of fishing tackle and boating accessories was a real downer not to mention the steep admission prices. :ohmy: I think next year I'll pick up a cheap flight to Melbourne and have a look at their boat show which I'm sure would make ours look silly by comparison - sadly ! :blush:

Guest big lizard

Why would you bother going? It's a rip off simple as that im with the others since it left Wayville it's been nothing but crud.... It's unfortunate it used to be a good day/night out....I'd rather save my coin :(

Lizard wrote:

I think next year I'll pick up a cheap flight to Melbourne and have a look at their boat show which I'm sure would make ours look silly by comparison - sadly ! :blush:

Now ya talking Lizard. Was only thinking this same thing myself this morning. Spend a weekend there, take in some footy as well be a much better experience I think ;)
coonta kinta wrote:

Lizard wrote:

I think next year I'll pick up a cheap flight to Melbourne and have a look at their boat show which I'm sure would make ours look silly by comparison - sadly ! :blush:

Now ya talking Lizard. Was only thinking this same thing myself this morning. Spend a weekend there, take in some footy as well be a much better experience I think ;)
I was saying exactly that to my old boy CK - go over to Melbourne for a weekend, watch the footy and go to the boat show. With the cheap flights available these days its now so easy and you know your going to see a great boat show unlike our poor excuse for 1 here in Adelaide !

I would have to say that for the 1st (and last) time I attended this year. Expected all of what people are saying is missing from the show and low and behold they are still missing, I am just glad that my son had better things to do and I only wasted the entry fee for myself. It was sadly very dissapointing. Advised friends to not waste their time and hard earned money. For an event that could have so much to offer, it was dull, boring and entirely demoralizing.Save your money buy some bait and spend your time fishing.

It's a shame that it's gone in the direction that it has given that the shift to the convention centre, adjacent to water, more central, the organizers could have made it into a great show rather than opting for the "gouge" approach which has alienated a lot of the the smaller shops/displays which made Wayville good in it's variety.We can never compete with the eastern states or the west because of the demographics but as long as the organisers have this greed is good attitude we will never escape the "pissant town" label that has been bestowed (some may say correctly) upon us.

It is amazing all the complaints about the Adelaide boat show . How the organisers are greedy ,it costs too much etc. Has any one thought to contact the organisers The Boating Industry Association and get the answers from them. before you ask no I am not one of them just some one who has spoken to them and asked questions.chrish

Unfortunately I've dealt with the BIA before relating to a complaint about shoddy workmanship from one of their members and they did not want to know me. Their attitude was arrogant so going to them to complain about issues with the boat show would be as useful as pissing in the wind.

It would be interesting to see what the attendance figures were over recent times, the BIA website's press gallery recent release about the boat show is dated 2004.It's unfortunate as I used to look forward to going to the show, have bought a lot of gear in the past both fishing and boating accessories as there used to be everything under "one roof".

I think the show serves its purpose, but it is a rip off for those just wanting to go for a browse. If you wanted to buy a new boat I think it is the place to do it as you can get some bargains but unless you have something you want, then the entry price is a disgrace...We went on Friday night, arrived at 7.30, so 90 mins before closing and still had to pay $15 each to get in..

Sounds like my decision to stay at work for the weekend was the right one, didn't miss too much otherwise, by all accounts.Not so long back (those that know me would know), I sat many a cold, windy, miserable Winter day at the Adelaide Boatshow. Helped Camero Skiboats in their heyday & manned a Waterski Tuition stand many times over.Tackle was done well & there were plenty of bargains for all to enjoy.The place pumped. I mean 10's of thousands of punters over the weekend, if you were to believe the figures put out of todays attendances, you should rightfully assume little has changed.Garbage.Others have tried, the "Outdoor & Fishing' expo at Morphettville was an attempt at enabling a tackle show in Adelaide, it went broke & had full backing from the tackle industry. When the organizers actually listen to the people & to places like this, they will actually realize what potential audience is available, sadly they are missing a good bit of it & you guys are being shafted by a half done deal.I wish this not to be a slag at those stallholders attending as they do their best at a limited venue, merely to highlight the void, since tackle was made a non-viable option, in Winter, in Adelaide & at the Convention Centre.Finatic