Biggest snapper

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd never caught a snapper until this weekend. Went out with my uncle and caught 3. My first ever snapper went a whopping 100cm - could not believe it. Going to be hard to wipe the smile off my face f

finally broke the 30lb and mtr mark this year at the stanvac barges (a while ago) we ended up with 6 fish over a mtr that day...

May not be my biggest red but it was certainly my biggest on light tackle, not bad for a Wednesday night after works effort.went 9450mm and a bit over 9.2kgCaught onRod: daiwa sol 2-4kg Reel: quantum

Posted Images

finally broke the 30lb and mtr mark this year at the stanvac barges (a while ago) we ended up with 6 fish over a mtr that day...[attachment=4554]013.JPG[/attachment][attachment=4555]018.JPG[/attachment]

So Manimal, Is it correct to assume your talking about the barges off of Osullies (3 Barges) cos its weird that you fished the Barges when you launched at West Beach...I would have thought it would have been a lot easier to launch at Osullies?These look like down south barge fish to me...LOL.The only other barges I can think of down west beach way might be the Glenelg Hopper barge?Does anyone know if you get good fish on the Glenelg Hopper barge?? I know the Glenelg tyre reef has big fish so would think that the hopper barge would also??
So Manimal' date=' Is it correct to assume your talking about the barges off of Osullies (3 Barges) cos its weird that you fished the Barges when you launched at West Beach.[/quote']Fishing Sullies from WB isnt that hard, especially looking at the water behind what appears to be a decent size boat ;)

They look like lunchtime fish on a slight Nor' Westerly with a falling barometer (looking at the clouds) and is at slackwater before the turn to run in B) :whistle: they would've bitten their nuts off in those conditionsBugger fishing at night or launching pre dawn... I fish gentleman's hours these days and get my snapper after lunch also :)

When the schools were around earlier in the year big fish came off the barges a lot, along with similar spots like clarries etc.We didn't bother fishing early mornings and got our biggest fish in the middle of the day - just under 14kg. Most around 11kg though.Just on where to launch, I fish the port a bit and sometimes if the weather is good I will launch at west beach and drive up. Takes about 25 min on a nice day and saves the hassle of towing through traffic :P Also allows you to collect some bait on the way if you feel like it.

Intresting convo lads, I intend on fishing structure 2morro night, high tide of 2.4m at 8 40. Im thinking fish up tide from the structure ( south of it ) from 7ish onwards, for the run in , or do I head out later and fish it for the run out (from the north. Im assuming you all have diffrent theories and all drops fish diifrentlyHope to improve my PB:Posted Image

Just sit off the structure, so long as your burley trail is drifting toward the structure and you drift ya bait down the trail, you'll get any fish that are there :)Looks in great condition that snapper of yours there ALE :) good luck on bettering the PB tomorrow..... Although I'd be more than happy with a coupla reds in tip top fighting shape like that one :)A month or so back we fished a shallow reef/structure and got busted up big time.... Nearly had us in tears hahahahaha. I will never underestimate a Snappers abilities in the shallows again..... The tried and true 30lb mono trace was useless..... UHF has put me onto the 60lb Jinkai for the brutal structure lovin fish ;)

Hey Jack, thanx mate, funny , u say that, I just put down a couple 6.0's and the 60LB black magic down to type this :laugh: Rigging a few, just in case.The above speciman was great fun, no monster knobbly but still great fun and will taste great next sat with the lads whilst clipsal is on.She was a bit lean tho, I reckon it only weighed 6 odd kg's

. most people think around slack tide is best but I disagree

I think a lot of people "Think" it's best simply because they dont want to fish a harder flowing tide :huh: Agree jack, thh shallow water fish will go hard, even the smaller ruggers. 60lb is a bit of over-kill imo, I cant say Ive ever lost a fish on anything 30lb b/s and often less. having said that, I usually fish a fairly "clean " area tooA big fat stroppy Red sitting 1/2 a metre off a limestone ledge might be a different matter though I guess :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

They look like lunchtime fish on a slight Nor' Westerly with a falling barometer (looking at the clouds) and is at slackwater before the turn to run in B) :whistle: they would've bitten their nuts off in those conditionsBugger fishing at night or launching pre dawn... I fish gentleman's hours these days and get my snapper after lunch also :)

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: You even have "Happy time " on the VHF radio :P

:P Seriously tho' as MW says... you can get big fish during the day in most areas. it just takes a few different tactics to get them on the bite. I prefer an arvo 2 metre plus tide that is ripping thru at it's strongest part. most people think around slack tide is best but I disagree

My best fish??All caught in "Gentleman's hours" with strong tides ;) ;) ;)

:P Seriously tho' as MW says... you can get big fish during the day in most areas. it just takes a few different tactics to get them on the bite. I prefer an arvo 2 metre plus tide that is ripping thru at it's strongest part. most people think around slack tide is best but I disagree

... and you got them without my trusty downrigger and 12 pound weight :clap: :clap: :clap:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: You even have "Happy time " on the VHF radio :P
Once those happy fish start playing on my Navman radio screen I know it's going to be a good day ;)

... and you got them without my trusty downrigger and 12 pound weight :clap: :clap: :clap:
"Grasshopper" has perhaps emerged from the Chrysalis now ( well perhaps one leg).Only got a lifetime + of fishing to learn!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
60LB black magic
My weapon of choice ATM ! Ties brilliantly ' date=' good stretch' date=' great abbrasion resistance, nice and straight of the spool... top all rounder.[/quote'']Jinkai is better when fishing structure. I like Black Magic and prefer using it when fishing non structure spots as it is very supple and not very abrasive resistant as it shreds really easy

Not my PB (that got released to fight another day:) ) but my first ever 1m fish & biggest knobber to date. Was a very special moment that day as it was the first legal Snapper to hit the deck of our new boat only after having it for a month. Pity my oldman did not land his as I would say it would have been in the knobber region too. His fish unfortunately hit his bait as he was untangling a birds nest on his reel.:pinch:

Img002.jpg

Yeah don't normally tamper with my face in pics. but this photo was just a touch average. Fishie, have you tried the Black Magic 'Tough' trace? More harder wearing than the 'Supple'. I personally have always used BM 60lb Fluro for hooks & 80lb tough for the rest of the rig & a 60lb wind on with 20 or 30lb braid. But recently switched down to a 30lb wind on & have not had any problems fishing open ground or near structure (until 2 weeks ago:lol: ). Was on to a killer local snapper session & this fish was a machine, we already had our bag of bigs with two already over 100cm. The harder I went on this fish the harder he went. As I found out he had taken me around the anchor rope once & then into some structure where I felt him come off. Was not rally fussed as he would have gone back anyway, but would have been good to have a look at him.

ive just been watching in for a while and its weird that it gets to this.

I confuse easily! How could you have been watching the "brag board" for awhile when it's not available to site guests and you've only just joined the site? :blink: Care to drop the staff a line and share who you are, or who we know you as?