treble hooks

G"day guys, just wondering which brand of trebles people like to use when replacing them on their hb lures.I cant remember which brand i last used but even washing them in freshwater after use they rusted /corroded pretty quickly.Any ideas or even tips , I"ve heard dipping them in vegetable oil after each use keeps the rust away.Cheers {SMILIES_PATH}/cool.gif

No worries Butters, I shal give them a shot, for my heavier salmon lures and hb mully /flathead lures I personally like vmc hooks, strong and last ages.But it seems to be the smaller bream type lures with chemsharps that cause me probs.Kim down at Salisbury tackle has a good range of owner so I will give him a bell.Cheers {SMILIES_PATH}/cool.gif

Owner stingers 36 for me or Gamakatsu Tr13 ,some of the trebles on the higher end lures like jackal ,ecogear etc are very crappy to say the least their lures are great but the pointy bits are terrible.gets expensive when you use a lot of lures but being straightened by a 40 plus bream or a mulloway makes you cry also....

VMC 3x on lures for cod as if they get hooked in the corner of the jaw owners are history. On all other lures I use owners.I would like to try some diachi on some of my bream lures though as I used them in about size 2's on metal slugs for catching small tuna in QLD, mainly because they were black and sharp as you need to make the lures look smaller to match the hatch but they turned out to be pretty strong. They did rust though. Kym at Salisbury has the biggest range of owners I've seen in SA.Drawn

I agree Drawn on the fresh stuff its 3x vmc all the way,,The barbarian vmc's are also a good choice for my mully lures nice wide gap and very strong ...Been meaning to try them the 2x strong barbarians for my fresh work will do soon and pass on the stats if interested..

• 2 weeks later...

rod is no good {SMILIES_PATH}/huh.gif it may be too heavy but any rod will flick a plastic depends how strong your arms are.You would be better off with a lighter rod fast taper and a reel with light braid 4-8lb or mono/flurocarbon again light around 8lb for mono...Some of the cheap whiting rods are a inexpensive way of getting a good plastics rod.