Can you eat Dogshark?

mate my advice is try it for urself and c if its ny good bcaz people say things are crap wen there not lol like i wasw on brightion jetty last summer and caught sum spider crabs and every1 sed they were crap eating but we tryd them and they were prety good my dad has eaten it and he sed it wasnt to bad

fullysikwog wrote:

mate my advice is try it for urself and c if its ny good bcaz people say things are crap wen there not lol like i wasw on brightion jetty last summer and caught sum spider crabs and every1 sed they were crap eating but we tryd them and they were prety good my dad has eaten it and he sed it wasnt to bad

Reading that, made my head hurt... :laugh::laugh:
Guest AC Hardfronts

Here is the trick..You have to catch it, Clean it, and skin it straight away.. and put the skinned fillets on Ice straight away..Once you get them home soak them in milk for an hour or so.. and then a simple bread crumb mix and deep fry them...Tastes very nice! B)

I'm interested in people's opinion on this also.I have a knack for catching Pt Jackson sharks ( don't want to!) but if they taste nice........... Hmmmmm?Looks like there would be a fair bit of meat on them.How would you despatch them quickly???

Guest yogi

I've been looking into this a bit also, from what I can work out what you call doggies are Tope, in the UK Tope eats very well, I've caught and eaten quite a few, I personally like them, so I will now be keeping any I catch.Mike

hey Yogi.. think you might be mixed up with "school sharks" Scientific: Galeorhinus galeusCommon Name: School SharkOther Names: Eastern School Shark, Snapper Shark, Tope, Soupfin SharkGaleorhinus was previously thought to comprise several different species in different parts of the world, but was recognised as only a single species, Galeorhinus galeus, by Compagno (1984 cited in Stevens 2005).as " Dog sharks" are Port Jackson sharks here..http://www.abyss.com.au/PJs.htmlnever tried to eat them myself.. alwasy throw them back!

I caught one at pt victoria once,now i will eat or try to eat all sorts of stuff,but I couldnt go the doggy on the bbq .very pungent/strong almost bitter taste,out of 10 on my digestive scale made it a very low 0 :( .but I have to aggree with terrowie "some people will eat carp".Iwould probably rate them somewhere near freshwater muscles ,Cheers pp14

Guest yogi

Cheers for that Del, I've seen a couple of Port Jacksons in the crab net but not caught one yet, need less to say I don't think I'll be eating one by the sounds of it.Mike

hell you want doggies come to whyalla in sept,,,thats when the cuttlies leave, and the doggies take their place for breeding...if you cant get a dozen in a night there is something wrong.i chcuk em in a rock pool so they can swim out when the tide comes in

Ages ago we caught one snapper fishing, as you do.It latched onto the vynil seat on the boat and we could not remove it easily without killing it.Since we had killed one we thought it would be fair to at least try and eat it. It was very hard to skin.We wrapped the body in foil with some lemon etc and threw it on some hot coals.The result didn't have too bad of a flavour, almost like crab but the texture was pretty horrible - very crumbly and needless to say not worth taking another.

The yield of meat from a 60-70cm Port jackson would be around 200 grams. the rest is cartilage and skin and guts. I could not get past the stench let alone eat one.If I hook one then I cut the line at its mouth and drop it back in before it has chance to contaminate my boat.As for Tope, I used to catch them in UK from Weymouth beach.Fish averaged around 100lb each and gave a good fight. We had to run along the beach for about half a mile, back and forth about half a dozen times before they were worn out enough to land them. They are very good eating and similar to schoolies.But doggies, no way!RogerG