Best bait for Salmon Trout??

ok, i know i havent been here for a long time and this site has changed a LOT!! B) Anyways heard there are salmontrout at the st kilda breakwater end, and i want to know the best bait, and hooks for them! also heard theres bream in the channel but caught jacks*** from there before... :blink: my mates dad went down there the otherday and was talking about a 35cm+ salmon so im encouraged! :woohoo:

red_devil94 wrote:

ok, i know i havent been here for a long time and this site has changed a LOT!! B) Anyways heard there are salmontrout at the st kilda breakwater end, and i want to know the best bait, and hooks for them! also heard theres bream in the channel but caught jacks*** from there before... :blink: my mates dad went down there the otherday and was talking about a 35cm+ salmon so im encouraged! :woohoo:

I don't use bait for salmon trout, 3inch minnow with a 1.5gram jig head. If your not confident with lure, whitebait is prob the best unweighted then. Lure is much more fun and easier though.

3" berkley minnow in watermellon, not sure of jig weight but its small, be a fraction of what Tako is using I think. Also find they have a passion for fluro green (chartruse) I've used grubs and worms in that colour to great effect. Havent tried hardbodies down there yet. If your adament u want to use bait, white bait or froggies are my fav.If you havent had much success with the lures, watch what others are doing rather than going about your business blindly. Sometimes working the plastic slowly entices strikes while the speed brigade miss out. Remember they are not always on top and maybe working deeper. By working the lure slowly you can work the lower levels and also keep it there longer.The beauty of lures for me is the lack of equipment required to drag up there, realatively cheap when compared to a packet of forementioned bait, and ease with which one can be more mobile in trying to local the fish. The hits can be awesome as well at times.

yeah theyre the ones with the weight concealed. i prefer them way more to standard jig heads. the only downside is that theyre about 9-10 dollars for six jigs. they go from really light like 1/40 or sumthin like that to 1/16 but they only do size 2 hooks upto 1/24 not 1/16 which kinda sux..cos i prefer the smaller hook.. As u said they have an awesome action. i used them the time i got 24 ST's at north arm..most successful session with plastics..and they make the worms look so real cos theres no lead hanging off the head.cheersmichael

have always found they will take squid cockles tommy fillets or any other flesh.. they aint reaeeeeeeeel fussy.i prefer bait myself.. but will chuck a lure around if there are there. the old style spoon lures such as " Wonder Wobblers" are pretty good bang for buck :)