also... i run 8lb mono on my light rod.. suggestion for replacement?and a have a 15kg short stick to be used on my yak when i get it. targetting bigger species. what would people suggest i use? 25lb braid?fair new to this stuff..

We need to talk fellah! ;) It all depends on the application.If you are casting around structure, you're gonna need to see the line clearly yourself, and watch for any touches, so you'll want a hi visibility colour like yellow, orange or pink.If you're just botton bashing, you dont need to see the line, so you can use an olive green or charcoal.Whatever colour you choose isn;t gonna matter to much to the fish, coz you're gonna have a few feet of flourocarbon leader tied onto the end of it, so they wont see the braid anyways!

G'day Del,Colour: Most of the colours are for the benefit of the angler so if your fishing with soft plastics you see the small bites in the line from fish by the line twitching or slowly moving off in another direction. But if you can see it the fish can, thats why you need a fluorocarbon leader, 1: so the fish can't see the line as fluoro has the same light refracting index as water and 2: you can't tie braid straight to your lure or jig head. Fireline crystal is a good braid to use ;)

also... i run 8lb mono on my light rod.. suggestion for replacement?

8lb braid would be a good replacement as braid is much thinner than mono, or 6lb what ever you feel comfortable with ;) .Your 15kg stick you could go with 25lb braid or even 15lb as most braids break higher than their stated poundage ;)
Guest big lizard

Doesn't matter i've done well on all colours i use fluro orange Team Daiwa Sensor Braid, as mentioned you will run about 2 to 3ft of flurocarbon anyway...Goodluck with your choice...

For lure casting, high-vis is the go, orange, yellow or green are my favourites.There are some instances [trout fishing] where you may want a duller line, ie; smoke grey or dark green, but your leader should help out with that anyway, and the ability of high-vis to show you subtle ticks on your line is priceless.

ok, i have a second spool for my little shimano solstice 1000, so ill look around for some 6-8lb braid in a nice high vis colour.. will leave mono on the other spool for now.. and 20lb braid on my other rod will do nicely from the sounds of it.. now to find a new reel to match to that rod :)shopping for fishing stuff is so bad... baahahahahha

i tried braid only once... from the rocks...FORGET IT... rubbish...it doesnt like sharp rocks thats for sure....threw the lot in the bin.but this thread has me thinking...HOW IMPORTANT IS COLOUR? i tried a red mono, and didnt get any snapper bites, until i took it off and also threw it in the bin.yellow didnt seem to work either... i will stick with green or blue.....my bro was getting fish while i got zip both times with the coloured line.shallow water from the rocks.

Del wrote:

one to match up to a 6'6 15kg rod running 20lb braid to be used from a kayak.. im not real flash with overheads.. prefer egg beaters..

i tried my bro's bait runner reel...shimano i think... i liked the idea of free spool, then turn the handle for hook up...
Del wrote:

just checking out ebay... and see it come up a lot...or is Ebay braid a bad idea.. better to buy local?

I always like to support local shops, but coming here from the US I was a bit shocked at the price of braid, you can get a 300yd spool of Power Pro, which I feel is the best braid out there, for 50-55 AUD shipped.
Guest big lizard

Braid is awsome i hate mono now, once you use it a few times and get spolied you will never go back...Surf fishing stick to you mono unless your throwing lures then use braid... If your fishing straight up and down from your yak i'd get an overhead not so cumbersome to useand you can use it for other fish as well like kings etc if you ever do other trips, better getting something you can use multipurposely...

yea doesnt matter on colour but If your jigging or bottom bashing its probaly better to use colour coded so when hooked onto a fish you know where they are holdong and when they take a run u know how far u r away from being snapped off on the bottom, but appart from that it doesnt really matter but deppends If you wana see your line or not

Guest AC Hardfronts
szopen wrote:

One of the tricks I have picked up from a US fishing site is doing away with fluoro leader, running braid all the way but using black permanent marker to make last metre or so black.Seems to work well, no extra knots.

I think the main reason for the mono leader is to have a little bit of give in the line..

I've tried a number of the more popular brands of braid Del and am particularly pleased with the, recently on the scene,"Rovex" braid, dull green and 8 lbs BS.Reasonably priced tooI've fished it twice a week for the past 3 months or so and have wind knotted it once! but through my own inattention!Definitely worth a look B)

shopping around pays of,, i got some excellent braid of ebay called dyneema ocean braid green in color 1000m of 75lb or 33kg from tasmaina tackle store for $80 this will last me a long time befor i have to buy any more ,,, caught kings with it so its very strong stuff,, i shop around for bargains ,,cheers freddyboy Posted Image