GPS MARKS in south Aust.Small Book/over 450 Marks

Fishie wrote:

Brenton, I know a lot of the metro whiting plots are way off the mark but some of those Gulf St Vincent snapper plots are spot on. Some of those plots are old pro spots where there are such things as old shark boats, fishing boats, reefs, carbodies etc that hold some big fish. I think the author was given the plots but didn't know what was really there on the bottom. If you want to catch snapper still use the plots out of the book ;) I had a mate call me up on the phone from way out off Pt Hughes asking me where he should head to and I gave him a spot out of the book in the Channel and he went there and was straight over a lump and they bagged out :)

True :woohoo: ,infact i've done alright on the ruggers and pulled the odd good fish on one but i'd rather not be disturbed when i make the effort to get out there.And getting out there and looking about is half the fun. cheers brenton
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have small book with over 450 GPS MARKS ; 12, Edithburgh ; 5, Port Giles ; 12, Stansbery ; 21, Ardrossan ; 15, Middle Beach ; 5, Port Gawler ; 5, St. Kilda ; 9, Out Harbour ; 12, Semaphore ; 9, Gran

I did open my biggggg mouth , did I . Here Go ! , It Mentions mainly Whiting and snapper , I anm sure there are other fish there.I will start with ;St Kilda ; Chapanman Creek S.34'41.635-E.138'25.998

Fishie wrote: Sorry Fishie , I didnt now you could still get copys of the book . Thank to Range I now no there are stil copys of the book out there ,I will not put any more on Post .If there is any wa

hullbilly wrote:

I have rang a few tackle shops including Anglers Choice looking for this book and non of them have it. If anyone knows a shop that currently stocks it could they let me know.Hullbilly

Try Goatherders Bait & Tackle out at Glenside it's next to the ANZ Bank there
Fishie wrote:

I've seen it in the shop down at the Bay also and my old man bought it a couple of months ago

He'll have to put those marks on my GPS then!!PS,I do think that if someone has gone to the trouble of organising and going to print with a book they should get a decent feed out of it :):)
Waterboy wrote:

Yep found out today at work we recently sold out and had indeed restocked recently.BUT - Found out from the supplier that indeed the book is not being re printed and that they had bought out the remaining stocks. Mark

Thank's for that Mark :ohmy: :cheer: Watersnake

Escourt House S.34'52.332-E.138'24.361 whiting, garfish.Escourt II S.34.51.306-E.138'24.445 garfish, whiting.

Good on you for trying but a couple of pointsS.34.51.306 is NOT a valid format by any means, way toooo many decimal points to really mean anythingS.34'52.332The minute symbol is totally out of place and again more decimal points to confuse the issue. Needs to look like thisS34°52.332' or 34°52.332'SThe principle here is - If it's worth doing then it's worth doing rightAnother point is how can you guarantee the datum of these points is WGS84?
watersnake wrote:

Buy the Book and find out your self. YOU CAN PLEASE SOME PEOPLE SOME OF THE TIME BUT NOT ALL THEM ALL OF THE TIME. WATERSNAKE

You miss the whole point my friend and I doubt I need to buy the book to answer the question anyway. I was simply wondering if the person quoting these marks knew themselves what the datum was and could this be guaranteed.For the record I would say with absolute certainty all marks in any GPS publications would not all be the datum as stated.

This is what it said in the book and I Quote "These have come from thousands hours on the water by a wide variety of anglers across the state, amaters and professionals alike.With the help of all involed we have gathered over 450 Marks with reference maps of the area, fish that can be caught and when possible a description of the bottom. So whether your a first timer or an experienced boatie looking for a few new spots to dangle aline we hope that this book will aid you in your quest for better fishing success." it also said "Although every effort has been made to ensure the correctness and accuracy of the information and data available in this publication." as for the WGS 84 this is what the book state's. Other than that I have no idea whether the datum is right or not. As I was once told by someone ; "There is nothing guaranteed in life my Friend" Like I said other than that I have no idea at all. Watersnake.

watersnake wrote:

GPS Marks are all in WGS 84

Yes this might be what the book states but really you or they have no way to guarantee this and as always with anything like this one should be very careful assuming the datum is WGS84.The coordinates in this and many other similar publications comes with absolutely no guarantee what so ever.So to state

GPS Marks are all in WGS 84

can not be ascertained and should not be assumed or stated.When most of the published coordinates of today were being collected most didn't even know how to spell datum let alone know what it actually meant or how it affected things.

I guess at the end of the day, if ya don't believe what they write in the books, that the datum stated in the book is incorrect, or the marks stated in the book are incorrect, or the author doesn't know what he's talking about, or the book is wrong, or the marks don't exist, or the names are wrong, or any other thing, then just don't buy the books and don't try out the marks! If ya don't have any marks of ya own and you're looking to get started in an area, maybe checking out one or two of these inexpensive little booklets isn't such a bad idea though. After all, no-one else is gonna share marks with you, as they'll just tell you to stop wanting to be spoonfed, to stop asking for marks from others and to go do the hard yards yaself. If you have to start somewhere, maybe these books are as good a starting place as any!Also remember, just coz ya dont always see a huge lump of structure when ya get out there, doesn't mean that the area doesn't/didn't hold fish! For instance, look at areas like Semaphore Reef. A large area of broken bottom where you aren't gonna see too much difference in the bottom as you traverse it, and there's no one exact mark to sit on, but the entire area holds fish and there's probably 200 different marks for the area dependant on who ya talk to or get the co-ords from.My mark for semaphore reef might be completely different to yours, yet neither are wrong and neither are given in the wrong datum.It's pretty common knowledge that book marks can be unreliable at best, but no-one forces us to use them, and they CAN also be a great way for anyone to get started in an unfamiliar area. When ya get out there, have a bit of a scout around and see what you can find in the area!

I suppose buying the book is one thing but then posting it all over a fishing site incorrectly formatted and no mention of a datum says a lot.Now the issue here has nothing to do with marks of your own or not but if somebody is going to do something then at least do it in such a way that is complete and not confusing otherwise the confusion will simply be multiply.No point in doing something then trying to justify the results and missing the whole point.

watersnake a big thanks goes out from all the people you have given a head start to and i hope you continue to contribute helpfull things to a site witch is based on such things there is no need to have a crack at a guy for helping out fellow fishers in their persuit of the fishies im chuckin a karma your way for your efforts mate----- cheers carps

You seem pretty picky GNSS, this GPS datum thing looks like it gets up your nose for no good reason really and that also "says a lot"I reckon in most instances wgs 84 is considered the default datum by most people unless otherwise stated.Plus if your relying on 2nd hand coords to take you to the fish your kidding yourself on most occasions anyway. cheers brenton

Wonder why it is so hard for some people to accept constructive direction?This is not having a go at anybody, it is trying to point out the short falls and pit falls that have in hindsight been very badly handled at all levels.I can assure you nothing can be assumed with regard this issue and you should take this comment on board as there is no such thing as a default datum.As previously mentioned no point in doing something unless you do it right! Then maybe some don't want to know and continue the confusion process that has occured over recent times.This confusion is not limited to such minor coordinates as fish waypoints but has been highlighted by major corporations who once might have thought the same as some of the replies here.So people what is so wrong with doing it and getting it right ????????? Tell me what is so wrong with not wanting to accept constructive comments ????

Thanks Snapperhead, Brenton, Carps and the rest you guys that have surported me in this little matter. IT'S ALL WATER, RUNNING OFF A DUCKS BACK . AS Ranger put it, It's all about the fishing and if I help anyone and put them closer to catching then, good, that the hole Idea. It gives the newbies to boat fishing, Like myself, some where to start Looking. Most people like me don't give a Rat ASS about if the Datum is right letalone spell it or Even no what it means. Most people go on what is written in the books. This is the last time I going to wast MY TIME TALKING ABOUT IT . THANKS GUY'SWatersnake

watersnake wrote:

Thanks Snapperhead, Brenton, Carps and the rest you guys that have surported me in this little matter. IT'S ALL WATER, RUNNING OFF A DUCKS BACK . AS Ranger put it, It's all about the fishing and if I help anyone and put them closer to catching then, good, that the hole Idea. It gives the newbies to boat fishing, Like myself, some where to start Looking. Most people like me don't give a Rat ASS about if the Datum is right letalone spell it or Even no what it means. Most people go on what is written in the books. This is the last time I going to wast MY TIME TALKING ABOUT IT . THANKS GUY'SWatersnake

You are correct there in that many people haven't given a Rat ASS and this is we have the situation we have today. Now if the whole idea is to help people then if you don't give them the correct info then how do you know if you are infact helping or hindering, no you don't and obviously not prepared to consider how you might improve this either. Maybe it's time people come to terms with better understanding what they are talking about otherwise all that will happen is bad practices will be carried forward as they have been now for quite some time.

hmmmm this post is going no where constructive now i dont think.. maybe time to end it and continue on our merry way with other helpful posts :unsure: gnss maybe you could do a post on propper gps procedure to help out all who are interested in learning to do it properly..i for one would def be interested and im sure if writen in laymens terms many others would to... cheers carps

carps wrote:

hmmmm this post is going no where constructive now i dont think.. maybe time to end it and continue on our merry way with other helpful posts :unsure: gnss maybe you could do a post on propper gps procedure to help out all who are interested in learning to do it properly..i for one would def be interested and im sure if writen in laymens terms many others would to... cheers carps

Yes I could do that but why re-invent the wheel, it's all been done before.If you are really interested (are you :) ??) then some recommended reading http://www.lands.nsw.gov.au/_media/lands/pdf/surveyor_generals_directions/Exploring_GPS.pdf
Guest SuperThahn

GNNS (aka GPS Nazi) haha I get where you are comming from and part of the reason why they complain they catch nothing.People dont want to listen dont keep saying it mention it and see what happens. All are presumtions unless mentioned otherwise. If you really know what you are doing or want to know research it. If you dont want to do that ask. Pretty simple really.Its not hindering at all though. If they are searching for marks like this they obviously dont have much in the way of marks anyway. If they are looking for someting inparticular they SHOULD know what they are talking aboutBut to me you spend the $$$ on a GPS you want to know how to work it.!!Hope this makes sense as i am typing at work and keep getting interupted

Here is a present for yahsthousands of waypoints for all over australia I downloaded them from gps Australia compiled by board member the crowgomez who compiled them and posted them to be shared ONLY SUITABLE FOR GARMINEnjoy [file name=6__fishing___bait.zip size=110225]http://www.strikehook.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/files/6__fishing___bait.zip[/file]

If you have a Magellan GPS download the Vantage Point software from the Magellan website and this will convert them over to magellan bluenavVP can then export them to CSV,Oziexplorer, KML, magellan meridian .wpt, magellan explorist .upt, and .gpx gps exchange.It's a great proggy even if you don't have magellan but want to convert waypoints from 1 format into another

gardy wrote:

Unless otherwise stated all gps marks are now in wgs84

Why?Is this YOUR assumption?How do YOU know this?How can YOU guarantee this statement?Appear that without supportive evidence it some have adopted the principle of when in doubt lets call them WGS84 anyway!

For the file I posted I clealry stated that they are suitable only for garminAll garmin owners should have a program called map sourceOpen the file with mapsource and wallahFor those that want an argument about datums grow upThe standard for some time has been wgs 84 now agd94 which are both the sameUnless otherwise stated thats what they are :kiss:

gardy wrote:

For the file I posted I clealry stated that they are suitable only for garminAll garmin owners should have a program called map sourceOpen the file with mapsource and wallahFor those that want an argument about datums grow upThe standard for some time has been wgs 84 now agd94 which are both the sameUnless otherwise stated thats what they are :kiss:

So are YOU saying Mapsource GDB files supports datum metadata?Unless YOU know for sure YOU really don't know what they are. This is the issue with compilations from compilations from compilations any original integrity has long been lost if it ever existed at all in the first place.I would certainly not call WGS84 a standard by any means as there is still an enormous amount of data still available in Australia available in many othe datums different to WGS84.Oh and BTW there is no such thing as agd94!Otherwise unless YOU can guarantee the datum (and obviously YOU can not) then YOU don't know what they are.It's that simple so accept the comment as an attempt to pull people like you into the real world without making assumptions.
gardy wrote:

Mate Im not going to argue with you You are just a EDITI posted the file for those who want to use it You take it as is or leave it up to you :angry:

And this is where it gets right back to the issue of being usable. How can something that is incomplete and that even you yourself can not guarantee (even though you posted it) have any integrity?Would suggest everybody leves it and the sooner you start to realize what the issue is the better for everybody.

Geez fella you take the cake dont you :kiss: Here is a sample of the file opened in mapsource Its covers the whole of oz and it is in wgs84 format and if yah havnt a garmin and mapsource I dont think you can use itCant make it any plainer than thatEnd of story If yah dont like it fella take a break and go fishing :angry:Posted Image