Reel maintenance tips?

Hi all,I've been fishing since i was a little tacker but one thing I have never been too certain on is cleaning and maintaining my reels after each session. This wasn't so important when I was jetty fishing and the fact that I generally buy average equipment which I'm not too fussed if it seizes but I have recently bought a fishing kayak and am starting to get a little more serious about my fishing.Any tips on how to go about cleaning and maintaining my reels??Any help would be greatly appreciated.Cheers,FishoMudge

I have over the last 25+ years serviced fishing reels for gotone & worked at Jarvis walker repairing & servicing fishing reels. not a big fan of spraying reels with wd40 rp7 etc the stuff can get into the reel & degrade the grease with its solvents etc(also i dont think the fish like the taste to much if it gets on your hands & then your bait)my advice is to clean the reel down with a clean damp rag take the spool of the reel (now you need to watch out for any loose spacer washers at this point make sure they stay on the shaft) if it has braid on it, run a gentle stream of water from the tap & rinse the braid for at least 2 minutes. while the spool is off the reel wipe the extended main shaft off the old blackened oil with a clean lint free rag put one drop of fishing reel oil on the shaft, take off the handle & put 1 drop of f/r oil into each bearing/bush put handle back on turn reel a few times put a smear of oil on the spool shaft & put spool back on reel (dont cross tread drag knob). next undo the screw holding the line roller on do this carefully & watch how the washers & bearing etc sit note the correct position of the line roller for anti twist reels wipe bearing on cloth wipe washers wipe bail cam & bail arm roller holder clean of any grit & sand salt etc oil bearings washers (smear) reassemble bailarm roller do not over tighten screw. I recommend diawa abu or simular reel oils because they have anticorrosive inhibitors in them. sorry if this is a bit long winded but if you see my reels (rods; I just hose them down well & shammy off) u'd think they were brand new & if down the track you need to sell them to up grade you will get top dollar if there in good nick.

thanks for the encouraging posts. just to prattal on a little more on the subject the more a reel is used, say 3 times a week it should have a major service every 3 to 4 months as the grease has pretty much used up its lubrication properties by then. the reel should be stripped down completely & washed out with kero or white spirits in a plastic icecream container(remember to put the ciggy out)all parts cleaned of old grease, sand & salt, dry all parts on lint free clean cloth, its a good time to check all the teeth on the gears for chips & wear look at the bearings make sure they turn nice & freely (you will see in the bottom of the container bits of swarf, bits of metal do not be to concerned by this unless you see teeth missing of the gears or something simular)now reassembly is the hard part, best to lay all the parts out on a clean table top. springs or wtfdtg (i'll let u work that one out) the best hint I can give you for these when re installing onto reel is to get one of those larger icecream containers & kinda put it over the top of the reel as you try to fit it back on the reel. (newspaper is not that suitable as small parts are hard to see in amungest all the print etc) however i digress, grease (inox food grade grease is preety good stuff)main gear & pinion gear (just a light smear)heres a hint the recesses were the bearing sit put a smear of grease around this area & around the outside of the bearing (oil bearing don't fill with grease)assemble the rest of the reel, dont over tighten the small screws they just need a tweak once theyhave bottomed. the reel breakdown sheet is a reel asset here (excuse the pun) some tools i have found very useful apair of long tweezers, long nose pliers (small), micro screw drivers. if its all too hard take it to nearest reel repairer. i hope i'm not opening the flood gates here but if you get stuck give us a pm got lots of useful maintinance hints on different types of reels. good luck.

buy an alvey...rinse it and forget it....seriously though... my egg beater, and adu7000 after a fish cop a soak in HOT water., with a bit of car wash added, then its rinsed off, and left to dry in the sun....seems to desolve the salt better.the rods get a regular wax with turtle wax, and it keeps them in pretty good condition and a lot cleaner.my only trouble with the spinners and overhead, is they dont get a great deal of use, where the alvey gets used 2-5 times a week.i really should oil the alvey more often, but there is no need to.it dont have bearings of rubbish like that.its been going for over 20 yrs, so i must be doing something right with it

Fill an empty Ice cream container with warm soapy water and dip a rag in it and wipe over your rod black and your guides with the dripping water then get a toothbrush and scrub around the ring and around the feet of the guides.For the reel do the drag up tight and use the same rag but get the water out of it so Its damp and wipe it over the reel foot around the body and then take the spool of and give that a wipe.When finihed cleaning your reel back the drag off so its loose and then its ready to be stored.After a few tips After a few trips get some thin good quality oil and take your spool off and put a couple of drops on the main shaft and give it a few winds. Then put a few drops in the roller bearing and in the handle bearing.Or you can just take it to ur local tackle store which service reels and theyll do it for you!Hope this helps

solid317 wrote:

i hear a lot of opinions about the place to just spray the reel with inox or wd40 for the "in between good services" touch ups. would this affect the reel casing and/or line?

I've never thought that to be a good idea, can't imagine those types of solvents would be good for your line, be it mono or braid. I've always just tightened up the drag and sprayed the reel with a fine mist of water, too much pressure will just drive all the salt and/or dirt into the reel where you don't want it. One of those multiple setting garden nozzles with a "mist" setting works great at home, or on the road I'll use a small hand-pump garden sprayer. If you're even remotely mechanically inclined then breaking down a reel for service is fairly easy. Here's a couple of good online resources for home reel maintenance, both I think have been posted on here before, but here they are again.http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/http://alantani.com/
plankton wrote:

solid317 wrote:

i hear a lot of opinions about the place to just spray the reel with inox or wd40 for the "in between good services" touch ups. would this affect the reel casing and/or line?

I've never thought that to be a good idea, can't imagine those types of solvents would be good for your line, be it mono or braid. I've always just tightened up the drag and sprayed the reel with a fine mist of water, too much pressure will just drive all the salt and/or dirt into the reel where you don't want it. One of those multiple setting garden nozzles with a "mist" setting works great at home, or on the road I'll use a small hand-pump garden sprayer. If you're even remotely mechanically inclined then breaking down a reel for service is fairly easy. Here's a couple of good online resources for home reel maintenance, both I think have been posted on here before, but here they are again.http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/http://alantani.com/
ive also wondered this... so as an experiment, i sprayed a bit of bait with wd40... snapper still ate it...so i tried aerogard on the bait...snapper ate that as well...
  • 1 year later...