Razor fish - West Lakes

Hi allWent for a walk around the lake on Sunday afternoon and noticed how low the water was. Anyway, as I was walking, I noticed a couple of razorfish in the water. As I kept walking, I noticed more and more - in water about waist deep.As west lakes is only a small area, if you are interested in collecting them, only take a handful, as they will easily disappear from over collecting. Also, make sure you wear gloves as there are blue ringed octopusses in the lake.Also, don't be tempted to eat the hearts, as the eating of shellfish in the lake is prohibited after rain and I wouldn't risk it during other times either.Good luck.David

Snorkelling around the local metro beaches in over 2m of water might get them, otherwise ya might need to get a boat and razorfish tongs to get them. Look for seagrass/mud bottom in over 2m of water at low tide should get them in metro waters. When I lived in cowell they would be sticking out of the sandbanks at low tide, but its different here as there is a lot more pressure and the only ones left are out deeper.

Personaly i reckon a "good" feed of razorfish from WL would be your last.The greeblies that would be in them would make swine flu look like a runny nose.Talked to a scientist once that had done tests on shellfish from the upper port, and he told me some quite un nice things.Cheers B)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
RAZORFISH.JPGHi. Collecting shellfish is illegal from both West Lakes and the Port River but not for the reasons you might think. Razorfissh like mussels and oysters are a filter feeder. They take in water and remove food from it. This also makes the great builters of toxins and poisens in water polluted by heavy metals, pesicides and other nasties.Save the razorfish and yourself, and take note when swimming or wading, thats why they call them razorfish because of the cuts they can inflict when stepped on.While I am on it can I Mythbust another urban myth that was in the forum. Cleaning razorfish on razorfish beds will NOT wipe out the bed. I talked with Stephen Mayfield at SARDI Aquatic Sciences in SARDI. His opinion matched mine that any organic material will be devoured by marine life on the next building tide. I have collected and process razorfish on the smae beds fot a deacade with no affect. If there is a die off it could be because of other factors like oxygen depletion, temepratures, pollution etc.Phill Heitmann Freelance Fishing Journalsist