Worlds most tender squid

Hi guys thought id let all you squid lovers out there know a chefs secret tip on how to get really tender squid. I worked as a chef for 8 years and there was alot of different ways we kept squid like in milk or just covered in the fridge but i was shown this tip by a chef and since then i have never looked back it is really simple here is the method: you will need one to two kiwi fruitcut the squid into pieces ie trellissed strips, rings or squares i have not tried it with full tubes but it would work and place into a container suitable for the fridge . then squash the kiwi fruit into the container and mix around to coat the squid cover and put in the fridge overnight, then use in any dish works best in salt and pepper squid crumbed squid, stir fries or any other dish you can imagine up cheers guys happy eating and no more rubbery squid :cheer:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
SandyWhiting wrote:

coight wrote:

Had lots of restaraunt squid never been happy. i reckon the best squid comes from barnacle bills :)

Gotta agree there, was in Port Augusta of late and had Barnacle Bills, BEAUTIFUL... :)
NEXT TIME YOUR UP THERE... TRY KFC FROM PT AUGUSTA...tastes a lot nicer than ours does.
piratepom wrote:

Tested the Kiwi fruit theory out last night, 3 tubes, wings and tentacles in 1 Kiwi fruit for 2 hours and the same again without the Kiwi fruit. It was defiantly more tender after being in the Kiwi fruit juice/pulp. My daughter reckons it's the best squid she ever had. Happy days.

it just goes to show if you muck around with quantities and time you will find a tenderness that suits your taste :) im glad your daughter enjoyed it pirate pom :)
rocknev wrote:

SandyWhiting wrote:

coight wrote:

Had lots of restaraunt squid never been happy. i reckon the best squid comes from barnacle bills :)

Gotta agree there, was in Port Augusta of late and had Barnacle Bills, BEAUTIFUL... :)
NEXT TIME YOUR UP THERE... TRY KFC FROM PT AUGUSTA...tastes a lot nicer than ours does.
Really, Ill have to try it, I'm a sucker for KFC too.. :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...