Weirdest bait used to catch fish

When i was a little fella i was fishing from the rocks at Elliston with my dad. We were catching a few fish as i was eating a packet of twisties. i put a big twistie on my hook and casted it out much to the disgust of my dad. A minute later a big bang bang on my surf rod. I pulled up a massive sweep. Still the biggest one i've ever caught.My next story is on of my dads mates has just come back from KI. He says he's discovered the best bait ever for the big Bream. He was pulling small Bream all day but the big ones wouldn't take anything. He pulled some Metwurst out of his sandwich and put it on the hook. You guessed it.... Massive Bream. He reckons all day long he was catching the big 1.5 to 2kg Bream on Metwurst. He has kept using and reckons it works everytime. Good value at $7 a stick and it lasts for ages, and you can eat it if you get hungry.

I remember my dads first legal mullowayI was about 8 or 9 years old and went out for a night with my dad to chase some mulloway. We were sitting under torrens island bridge with no success just pickers.My dad had brought the rods in to check the bait when he asked me if i wanted to have one of the bacon & tomato sandwiches mum had made for us. {SMILIES_PATH}/kiss.gifJust as i grabbed my sandwich a piece of tomato fell out on to a rockMy dad laughed and said he was going to use it for bait {SMILIES_PATH}/huh.gif he hooked it up and cast it out before he could put the rod down the drag screemin.Ended up landing a nice 86cm mulloway not bad on a piece of tomato hey {SMILIES_PATH}/cool.gif.Also got a mate that will use nothing but chicken breast cubes for kg whiting & bream just rubs in a bit of garlic {SMILIES_PATH}/lipsrsealed.gifGreat alternative considering the price increases in those little gold nuggets {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gifThanks guys Adam

Guest Butters

i caught probably one of my biggest and best fighting carp on a peice of metwurst.. we arrived up at morgan late in the night and hadn't had a chance to get the the local shops and get some worms.. so i went through the cupboards and found some smelly old metwurst and wacked some on the hook.. nothing happened at first which i was expecting.. but then my rod almost got pulled in and when i set the hooks it took off on some ripper runs taking me around a pontoon and then through some reeds.. So the metwurst might be a secret gun bait... might keep some on me at all times?? {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif

• 1 month later...

Up the river I was spending a day skiing and wakebpading when the kids were starting to get bored. Grabbed my 3 rods outa the car and some red wool.The kids were pulling in huge carp. Then we decided to try more stuff.Caught a 7kg carp on a jelly baby. Another one on bubblegum but the best was on cheese and bacon balls..The carp were going off.

• 3 weeks later...

Just as i grabbed my sandwich a piece of tomato fell out on to a rockMy dad laughed and said he was going to use it for bait {SMILIES_PATH}/huh.gif he hooked it up and cast it out before he could put the rod down the drag screemin.Ended up landing a nice 86cm mulloway not bad on a piece of tomato hey

I seen that happen many years ago to, but not under the bridge on the bridge. These guys were fishing on the bridge, not catching much when they ran out of bait. One guy got a piece of tomatoe out of his bag and put it on his hook. Not much longer he pulled in a very large mulloway.shmick

One very sunny day out at Tipara, the boat was surrounded by Gar which just would not bite. MY Grandfather who was quite the joker put some rasin from some slices my mum made on the hook and BANG! The float went down! Next cast another, then another, soon 3 grown men were picking through a container of now crumbed up slices, looking for bits of rasin......... over 100 gar were caught!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My Grandad caught a trout on a bit of tomato skin in the UK. He put it on for a laugh saying the sarnies my Nan had made weren't fit for human consumption so he'd give them to the fish.I also heard of a guy fishing from the wharf at Pirie who ran out of bait, so instead of heading back to the bait shop, he picked up a discarded KFC chip box and slotted a stale old chip on the hook. He pulled one of Pirie's monster bream on it almost immediately.

this will take some beating...where i work at onesteel whyalla they have a pumphouse.....when the kingfish escape from the pens around near fitzgerald bay we seem to get a few of them turn up at the pumphouse....these are not normal kingfish...they dont like food.serious....throw a hand full of gravel in there and they go nuts...(sounds like pellets hitting the water...their stable diet)...we have tried pillies,cuttley,squid and just about anything and everything....we had a bit of succeess on honey sausages(raw) but they thing they really wanted the most was....wait for it....EARPLUGS.... i kid you not.this happened by accident one night...a ship was in port and we were having a look at the kingies....the ship started to sound his horn...which is friggin loud at 4am,and 10mtres away...we all got earplugs out,and someone dropped one in the water....it got hit instantly...we looked on in amasement. before you could say a word a hook was over the side with a green and yellow earplug attached and yep ..sure enough...6 kings were landed......

ok, you are takin the piss.I am actually a male model “Ü”Ranger is sane,Wino is anorexic,ummm? who else can I tell the truth about?o yer, and Coonta Kinta catches other species apart from puffer fish! ???U know the scary part?Ranger just added ear plugs to his lure box “Ü”ok m8, i left it open for ya “Ü”

ok, you are takin the piss.I am actually a male model “Ü”Ranger is sane,Wino is anorexic,ummm? who else can I tell the truth about?o yer, and Coonta Kinta catches other species apart from puffer fish! ???U know the scary part?Ranger just added ear plugs to his lure box “Ü”ok m8, i left it open for ya “Ü”

i kid you not....maybe someone else from whyalla will find this post and confirm it...we were not the only one doing it....in fact...there was an epesode on tv with shane mensforth catching them i believe....dont know what bait he used though....

as a young lad i used to fish the river torrens.One day they were schooling on top of the water all about 8-10 lbs,after catching them for a while i run out of bread so as a joke i hooked up a cigarette butt and cast in.To my surprise i hooked up and landed another carp.I know these fish eat anything but come on.Also caught a nice trout in the torrens river weir on bread.

I was out at the lighthouse from Pt Hughes one day gar fishing and ran out of gents so I had a some chewing gum I had been chewing on all day, so I rubbed it around in some tuna oil and Anna seed oil and tried that. It worked better than the gents and stayed on the hook longer. To be fair the gar where that thick they would have taken anything you put in the water. They were that close to the boat I even tried to catch them with the landing net and got around 10 in the net each scoop.

ive also seen pillies that thick.....cruising in my boat many years ago when seagulls told a story of action on the surface....me and bro in law were going through the pack and as we left the landing net at home all we had was a bucket....we just scooped them up as we went through them...couple went on the hook and salmon were caught.

• 3 weeks later...