WEST LAKES COUNCIL

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

MullyI happen to know the deputy mayor of charles sturt council, Ill have a word to him about the tosser rent a cops that they call rangers. give me a pm on the night and location so that I can pass i

im going to add my 2c worth !!!i have fished west lakes for a good part of 25yrs and i have been abused, threated, beat up and gear stolen when i was a young fella by a couple of these unruley kind of yobbos that spoil it for every one so i know first hand what it feels like to have this crap going on if this is what happen to me what are they doing to the people who live there ??? i have been asked many a time to move on buy rent a cops, chubb, council and residents but where are they when things go wrong !!! but i try to educate these people into why i am there and what i am doing some resident are kool about it and i know a couple of them now and i always say hi if they around and they give me no trouble and vise versa, i have found the easy way is when anyone gives you a gob full for fishing there go and have a chat with them intoduce yourself educate them and ya mite just be surprised how accomadating they will be next time if they see you if they dont want to know you well at least you have tryedthey only see it from there side of the fence not from ours and education is the only way these people will work out the we the responsible anglers of this world care about the future of this great fishery and the people who live there.No one has the right to be heavy handed in asking you to do something it is your right to ask questions as to why and for proof of why they are asking you to move on .Ask yourself this why do people put signs up !!! to educate other people as to what is right and what is wrong!!! Clearly no thought go's into the process of where a sign should be put and who is going to educate all of us good abiding citizens

but i try to educate these people into why i am there and what i am doing some resident are kool about it and i know a couple of them now and i always say hi if they around and they give me no trouble and vise versa, i have found the easy way is when anyone gives you a gob full for fishing there go and have a chat with them intoduce yourself educate them and ya mite just be surprised how accomadating they will be next time if they see you if they dont want to know you well at least you have tryedthey only see it from there side of the fence not from ours and education is the only way these people will work out the we the responsible anglers of this world care about the future of this great fishery and the people who live there.No one has the right to be heavy handed in asking you to do something it is your right to ask questions as to why and for proof of why they are asking you to move on .

Now it might just be me, but I find this a much more responsible attitude than callin yaself "Cheif Haki Huki" or "Yuri Yamamotto" and telling them to "jog on!"

I've tried the negotiating part and so have many of friends. Doesn't work. About 1 out of 10 residents have responded nicely to it from my experiences, and yes that 1 out of 10 actually fishes. I have had residents threaten me with violence, can you imagine a 15 year old lad fishing and not making a noise being abused and threatened for fishing! Doesn't bother me. I take it ranger that u don't seem to fish west lakes as much as other regulars, you're lucky u have a boat. This cleaning up rubbish day is pointless, the council have tunnel vision, I'm not too fussed anyway. Quite simple put, I'd rather have someone fishing in front of my house than someone breaking in my house, which has been the case in the past.... Cheif Haki Huki over an out.

I've tried the negotiating part and so have many of friends. Doesn't work.

No reflection on you mate, I just wouldn't handle things the way you have, and I'd be more apt to follow the path Chopper used.

I have had residents threaten me with violence,

Likewise I do not condone these actions either!

I take it ranger that u don't seem to fish west lakes as much as other regulars,

No mate, I only fish WL a few times per year. I have been asked to move on once by fisheries. It was my own ignorance of the council bylaws which brought this on as I WAS fishing in an area marked and signposted as no fishing, and they were quite friendly and polite about the matter. I have had no problems with residents, and have chatted with friendly residents on occasion.

This cleaning up rubbish day is pointless, the council have tunnel vision,

The idea for a day such as this was not aimed at the council, but instead aimed at local residents to promote ourselves as "responsible" anglers and actually lift our image in the area and in the eyes of local residents. Building bridges and mending past conflicts.

Quite simple put, I'd rather have someone fishing in front of my house than someone breaking in my house

I believe part of the problem is that residents believe or fear that those fishing in front of the house ARE those who break into the house!I would like to make an attempt to overcome these hurdles and build better relations with residents for the benefit of our anglers who regularly fish the area. If belief is that this is a "pointless" exercise, it's no skin off my nose, and I'll forget the matter and you's can continue tellin the residents to "jog on" while they continue complaining about your presence there and prompting the council to lock you out!Happy fishin Chief!

im going to add my 2c worth !!!i have fished west lakes for a good part of 25yrs and i have been abused, threated, beat up and gear stolen when i was a young fella by a couple of these unruley kind of yobbos that spoil it for every one so i know first hand what it feels like to have this crap going on if this is what happen to me what are they doing to the people who live there ???

:(

MulliesC, it seems to me that some people commenting on here just dont get it. They think that we are nasty to people when we are in fact courteous and would rather be friends with locals than enemies. Whatsmore they seem to think that our joke about giving false names, despite those names clearly being farcical, is somehow threatening and irresponsible. I think they should lighten up!Its a given that we should explain to residents that we are not going to cause trouble, but some on here clearly do not fish westlakes very often and really are MISSING THE POINT ABOUT COPPING ABUSE FOR NO FAULT OF OUR OWN.Im now inclined to deal with it in my own way, because if people just keep suggesting that we talk and be nice then we are just going around in circles. for the record i like the clean up idea, but its gotta be done right, and has to come from the regular westlakes fishing community so the residents actually notice, or they migh just say thanks for cleaning up...... On ya way!

This little point misser was actually gonna suggest that with more and more landbased areas being closed to us, and with reports from regular Westlakes fishers of abuse being hurled at them by residents, that if things continue this way, it's only gonna get worse, and they'll find more and more areas being closed to them. So that maybe the wisest course of action would be to organise a day where REGULAR Westlakes fishers could get together, have a clean-up and a bbq, and actually invite residents to come meet us, to explain about catch & release fishing, to show them what we do, to let them know that we mean them no harm, to let them know we do clean up after ourselves and that there are more RESPONSIBLE fishers out there than they may have imagined. To invite them to spend some time with us, have a bbq with us, even have a go at fishing with us, in the hopes it would enlighten them somewhat, dispel their fears and preconceived notions, and actually build a few bridges between residents and fisho's so that regular west lakes fishers do not get abused for no reason and told to move on, and so that residents have a greater understanding of us and a greater tolerance of us.Letting residents and the council know that we utilise that area as it's sheltered, well maintained and what we consider a safe area for our children, and letting them know that we're not gonna go away, but we also don't wanna be abused or threatened, and that like them, we just wanna be left in peace and quiet, and let them know that we are actually a friendly bunch and not their enemy! Let them know that we respect them, their property and their privacy, and in return we'd also like that same level of respect.Coz I gotta tell ya, when push comes to shove, it's US who're gonna be *rseholed from the area, not the residents, and from all reports, that seems well on the way to happening now! Just look at the new regulations introduced and imposed on us in January!Yep, not all residents would be in favour of it, and not all would be converted. It would prove that we offer the hand of friendship though, that we are taking positive steps to heal rifts in the community and promote goodwill, and that those residents who do take the time to attend may look at us in a more favourable light, and help spread the word.Alas, I don't get it, I don't fish Westlakes regularly enough, I miss the point, and I really couldn't be bothered going to the hassle of organising it, calling the council, getting kesab on board, printing flyers, cooking a barbeque and getting speakers and the media involved for the day.Maybe just deal with it in ya own way instead fellas! Tell em to "jog on!" ;)

He not knock'n ya for a feed, bream that big are breading stock and roughly 30 to 35 years old. To me they are like pets :icon_e_smile: Now you wouldent eat your dog would you :'( ;) thahn is right the small ones do taste better.Cool man always good to see new fisher-folk on the site. :icon_e_biggrin:

that old war horse would have been damn near 40 years old, got a few years on me ;D good to see him swim away tho. ;)

Always good to see the big ones swim away so we catch them again and let them breed. Also it helps placate the residents' concerns about us fishing their pontoons and catching their pets!WELCOME Breamsy M. good to hear ya like the site, and hey no one's gonna begrudge you taking a few smaller legal bream home for the table, just remember that 20years+ in metro waters has gotta mean a fair dose of toxins are in each fish, only eat the SILVER ONES, if you want to grow as old as the fish ya eat ;) !!

From Ranger in part: Before being earmarked as a residential development it was just sand dunes which interested no-one.Yes on the Western side of Military Road.The rest was a stinking swamp, where the Riverside golf club is now, there was a track which if one followed for about 600 metres led to a scramble track ( moto cross nowdays) and woa and betide any rider who left the track at a great rate of knots, when returning (which was not easy) the rider was black(as the ace of spades) and was on the nose, no self respecting person would go any where near him, phew........... :icon_evil:btw, not sure why refering to " West lakes council " no such body exists. West Lakes comes under the jurisdiction of Charles Sturt Council.

From Ranger in part: Before being earmarked as a residential development it was just sand dunes which interested no-one.Yes on the Western side of Military Road.The rest was a stinking swamp, where the Riverside golf club is now, there was a track which if one followed for about 600 metres led to a scramble track ( moto cross nowdays) and woa and betide any rider who left the track at a great rate of knots, when returning (which was not easy) the rider was black(as the ace of spades) and was on the nose, no self respecting person would go any where near him, phew........... :icon_evil:btw, not sure why refering to " West lakes council " no such body exists. West Lakes comes under the jurisdiction of Charles Sturt Council.

I remember being a kid and driving past the place and the stink was shocking .Brother in law used to going rabbiting in there

yeah okay so it was a sludge land, but thats beacause it use to be the way the TORRENS connected with the PORT RIVER and it was disconnected...The port river is an extension of the torrens riverbed. SO first we destroyed it, Now we try to limit access and people say "well its better than when we destroyed it!"The key to all of it is to note that WE are responsible both for the wasteland it was, and for the CURRENT TREND OF RESTRICTION OF ACCESS! None of it was predetermined, nor is the future....

The Torrens is a long way from west lakes and port river.The Torrens has always had it outlet at Henley South as far as I am aware unless it was more than 52 yrs ago.I get the impression Yak is not impressed with my post.Sorry but people around there own (or the bank does) their houses but as one of the lads said , they don't own the lake and providing those who fish there do it quitely and make no mess then I can't see what the problem is.

The Torrens is a long way from west lakes and port river.The Torrens has always had it outlet at Henley South as far as I am aware unless it was more than 52 yrs ago.I get the impression Yak is not impressed with my post.Sorry but people around there own (or the bank does) their houses but as one of the lads said , they don't own the lake and providing those who fish there do it quitely and make no mess then I can't see what the problem is.

no pescados your wrong i think pretty sure the torrens used to go to sea so to speak in the port river .
  • 2 months later...

Re the Torrens, I stand corrected as I was wrong.Was there a channel which ran into the port river or was it more like a flood basin ??

Perhaps I am not totally correct either.when I was on leave I was chatting with a couple of old blokes.they told me the torrens flooded both ways towards the Port and the Pat.and Breakout creek had something to do with it as well

Breakout creek was created to drain the suburbs around lockleys and that of henley, westbeach, (what is now westlakes) ect. It was a public works project during the great depression and the result is the channel out to sea at westbeach. In recent times there has been a project to make the channel more natural and the result are the runs and billabongs from Henley Beach rd to the sea.Prior to intervention the torrens ended in a huge wetland that stretched behind the dunes from glenelg to the Port. THe natural outlets during flood occured at the Port River and also the Patawalonga. Its an interesting history and if you look into it is reveals much about the make up of our metro coast and estuarys. The Pat,Port and Associated Wetlands were all part of the Torrens. The Sand hills held it all back and the torrens is responsible for all the silt out there.Long, Long ago (thousands of years) this would have been a huge system. Course it makes sense that the Port didnt come out of nowhere!

• 5 years later...

Hi All,

I had a very interesting conversation this afternoon with an avid angler who lived 5 minutes from the Lake for nearly 12 years and has fished it a lot. He moved to the southern suburbs recently.

He tells me that the places where he used to see one or two anglers are now at saturation point with dozens fishing. Furthermore, he told me that there has been/is a massive influx of soapy mullys and this is the prime reason for lots of anglers day and night using this facility. Moreover he tells me that expiation notices of $160 were common and these have now doubled to $360 (PLEASE don't quote me on these figures?)! I was surprised that you can be fined for fishing here but he says it is so. He tells me that the Bridge area which is the most productive (structure equals fish) now sports a "No Fishing" notice and also a number of yellow lines recently sprouted up along the Lake edge with the same message painted along them. I was genuinely surprised to learn that the Dept. of Transport Manages West Lakes and also Police it and issue expiations and also photograph car number plates and catch repeat offenders this way!
It does seem to be the classic case of too much of a good thing to me as a person who only fished it once at a SAFWAA event. 
Incidentally, SAFWAA has lost some of its most popular dams due to this very reason?
No smoke without fire and I'd hazard a guess that the NIMBY residents have had enough and their complaints are having to be listened to by their Council?

Worryingly, from reading Mully's comments, they seem to be using bully boy tactics which have no legal basis and I'd like to see the Lake Management (whoever they are) adopt a correct format for engaging so called Law breakers by having a polite approach and by having their ID documents and a copy of the relevant bye-law to show that indeed the law is being broken?
The other thing is, for heavens sake guys and you know who you are, how hard is it to be tidy after a trip out fishing and don't be shy to pick up others rubbish as it will be repaid in the long run to retain this awesome and popular fishery.

Cheers, tonyb.