WEST LAKES COUNCIL

Gday just wish to show my utter disappointment in West lakes council.The other night whilst fishing a spot I have frequented more than 3-4 years now I was approached by a council security employee and asked to move on.I asked the bloke nicely and calmly why it was that I had to move on as I had not made a noise except for the splash of my cc predator hitting the water surface for the past 4 hours.I was answered with you cannot fish within 6 meters of any residential dwelling and I had to move on.As I could not see a sign anywhere and had no idea where 6 meters suddenly came from as most signs when posted say 3 meters from property or no fishing beyond this point so I asked him for a bit of information [hardcopy] of this new bylaw.The man disappeared and around 10 minutes later come back with another security guy to ask me yet again to leave the area :D This form of intimidation never bothers me at all and again I asked for some proof of this new law but this time I stated I ran a forum and my members would be very interested in hearing about this new council legislation as would I as no where can I see a sign and I was not causing any noise disturbance what so ever.This time one of the gentlemen said the paperwork and rules regarding this very issue were in his car and if I wished to view them it would cost me a $150 fine...At this point I got a bit annoyed >:( and stated that threats especially ones not backed up were laughable and that he did not need another person to try and stand over me to scare me into moving.[All I asked for was some documentation but received nothing but smart assed answers and bullying tactics not to mention threats]Anyway again I asked for some for of documentation regarding this new council bylaw and that in many different parts of the west lakes system signs are posted for 3 meters only and I had never heard nor seen of a 6 meter rule...This time my reply from them was "if you do not leave immediately we will remove you and issue you with a $150 fine".Now I was {SMILIES_PATH}/angry.gif:(" title="Angry" /> as they both shone their lights into my face and told me to pack up.My first intentions was to bad mouth them immediately for their rude behavior but I stated that if I wanted to I would stay here they could issue me a fine and if they so much as touched me I would sue them and the council for assault not to mention their little made up bylaw wouldn't stand up in court especially with no signs posted and no proof of any kind provided when asked for.however by this time had enough of their {SMILIES_PATH}/lipsrsealed.gif and began to pack up,a good night was spoiled by their rude behavior and I didn't wish to get any more heated over this pathetic debate. They shone their lights in my face whilst packing up and followed me to my car waited for me to put everything away whilst standing over my shoulder literally even whilst getting in my drivers seat.I was pretty censored off to say the least and the council are useless when approached regarding the issue,my disapproval of their behavior fell on deaf ears but I have sent off a letter of my disgust off regardless and am awaiting a reply.So just a little warning council hero's are patrolling the foreshore's threatening people with violence and fines without any backup of any kind.The next time im out and threatened I will ask for a fine and continue fishing the area ,Ill let the courts decide who is in the wrong I will also take a video camera and a friend with me to get a bit of footage of the event.To say the least im very disappointed at their behavior and the councils tactics are a disgrace. {SMILIES_PATH}/embarrassed.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/embarrassed.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/embarrassed.gif

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

MullyI happen to know the deputy mayor of charles sturt council, Ill have a word to him about the tosser rent a cops that they call rangers. give me a pm on the night and location so that I can pass i

Guest Butters

That sucks Mully... spewing a good night was ruined by a pathetic, bored security guard.. I haven't heard of that rule either.. i agree Fred.. give them a strike, hook, left, left, right... kickbox to the head mate..

Hi Paul I,ve only fished the lake for 6 months and the only signs i,ve seen state 6 metres...I ignore them and fish where i want anyway as i keep moving and am gone before the Chub guys show up. You must of been near the inlet as that is the only place i know they patrol because of persistant complaints from the residents.You can hardly blame them because almost every morning they have to clean up all the rubbish the fishing knobs leave in their yards etc.I have no doubt that the blokes that told you to move would of been full blown wankers and wannabe coppers and i also doubt that the poxy council by-law would stand up in court.The strange bit is there are no properties on the eastern side of the inlet except for those few units right near the pipes and i would think the 6m rule would not apply anyway....good on you for sticking up for yourself anyway and see you there next time {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif cheers brenton

Brenton for starters I uphold the law when fishing and have never bothered fishing the entrance for this very reason. The signs up towards the exit at Bower road all state 3 meters including around the street [parks] etc..Please dont start guessing I deserved the push along as I clearly stated there are and have never been signs around this area for 5 years plus I know there are maybe a couple of 6 meter rules but most are in fact 3 meter or have a yellow do not cross line..Also I am quite aware of the patrols near the entrance im not foolish enough to warrant a fine for doing the wrong thing there.I have fished the lakes for 25 years since i was 13 years old and know every side street, park, bush and garden gnome in the area so please don't presume anything they are patrolling everywhere now....

Where ever and what ever outdoor activity you do there is garbage and idiots messing it up for others this has been the case for decades my actual point was being moved from an area without a reason and being threatened without justification...I think you have missed my point

Paul Keep your hair on,i didn,t move you along .....infact i thought i was supporting your position.I said in my post that i myself fish anywhere i please so i wouldn,t presume to say that you deserved to be sent packing.As for fishing the inlet i fish there all the time and IMO its a good spot,i keep moving and i,ve never had a problem.Mielzy I get your point,i,ve seen and chatted to some of the residents down the inlet and even helped them to pick up some of the rubbish left there by unthinking fisho,s.They can,t catch a fish get pissed of and chuck their rubbish and even old bait etc in one of the blokes pool.....knobheads {SMILIES_PATH}/sad.gif cheers brenton

wow mullie i never knew that chub moved people on there at all. i have only seen coppers down there and they have never said anythin to me, i hate that stuff too. have you found out if they can issue fines anyway? and also fred that was some seriously funny shit, lol lol lol. i say snap em if you have to also!!!

Hi,I have never fished West lakes but my brother in law has, I was under the impression from what I was told that there are area's at the inlet which can be fished, also there are signs where one cannot fish.So just in case, is one allowed to fish at the inlet or not at all ??As far as chub are concerned, they might have impressive shirts but that's about it.They certainly would not get my details and if force was used, they would be sued.Council security I would definately want to see some I.D. before any details were passed on.Anyway Mully if you haven't done anything wrong, stick to your guns.If it has public access then they are knackered.

Yes it is public access it is a walkway around the foreshore where many people walk jog walk the mutt etc...Now if there was a sign id have no problems being told but there are no such things there at all and after 5 years this new little rule was made up.You can fish the entrance just not close to the actual beginning of the entrance.

I've been fishing the lake for many years also, and have been asked to move on by either lake patrol, or local residants a few times. And what's more i've been lure fishing every time by myself ( no noise, no mess, no fuss! )Next time they tell you to move on, do so, then park the car around the corner in a different place (if that's possible?) and continue to fish at your spot.It's a shame that a few people who leave rubbish and continue to make loud noise spoil the fun for the rest of us who want a fish. {SMILIES_PATH}/angry.gif:(" title="Angry" />

I have worked or and Lived in West Lakes since its development in the early 70s.I think it is a great place and have often had differences with the Woodville City Council which is now The Charles Sturt Council this particular gripe I am completely in agreeance with the Council and think that it is completely irresponsible to be in a position were a patrol has to ask you to move on and even more selfish to believe that they have no right to ask you to do so.There are areas for public fishing and prohibited areasPublic Fishing has always been a problem since the construction of the lake. There are those that have no regard for the nearby residents and make continuous noise, consume alcohol, leave debris and rubbish behind and think they should have a right to do this at any time day or night. There are others that conduct themselves in an orderly manner and clean up behind themselves and consider that because of that they have the right to be there. I have no argument that this is not a step in the right direction, however I would ask them this question? If you had payed good money to live close to the water, Would they like complete strangers on a continuous basis hanging around your house for 4 hours at a time? Even if the participant is well behaved you must remember that all are not. It is wrong to believe that because you have only been there for an hour and have not fished there for 2 weeks that the residents should tolerate your invasion of privacy, some one else has probably left the area an hour before you got there.We live by rules where ever we go today and there are usually reasons for these rules being in place, even if they do not suit us they are there for a purpose. The fact that the first thoughts are to sue the council for asking you to move on is to me an indication that you are putting yourself above those rules and the privacy of the nearby residents which I believe to be completely selfish and a display of ones character.I'm sure I will be bagged for this post but ask ya self this question before bagging me .If a complete stranger parked his car in you driveway. You come out and ask him what he`s doing and he replies I want to catch a bus at the bus stop out the front of your house. Your reply I imagine would be something of the nature well ya can`t park it there. To which he replies well I can`t park it out the front because that's the bus stop and jumps on the bus .Its my belief that sums up the original post.OK BAG AWAY KIMO

I have worked or and Lived in West Lakes since its development in the early 70s.I think it is a great place and have often had differences with the Woodville City Council which is now The Charles Sturt Council this particular gripe I am completely in agreeance with the Council and think that it is completely irresponsible to be in a position were a patrol has to ask you to move on and even more selfish to believe that they have no right to ask you to do so.There are areas for public fishing and prohibited areasPublic Fishing has always been a problem since the construction of the lake. There are those that have no regard for the nearby residents and make continuous noise, consume alcohol, leave debris and rubbish behind and think they should have a right to do this at any time day or night. There are others that conduct themselves in an orderly manner and clean up behind themselves and consider that because of that they have the right to be there. I have no argument that this is not a step in the right direction, however I would ask them this question? If you had payed good money to live close to the water, Would they like complete strangers on a continuous basis hanging around your house for 4 hours at a time? Even if the participant is well behaved you must remember that all are not. It is wrong to believe that because you have only been there for an hour and have not fished there for 2 weeks that the residents should tolerate your invasion of privacy, some one else has probably left the area an hour before you got there.We live by rules where ever we go today and there are usually reasons for these rules being in place, even if they do not suit us they are there for a purpose. The fact that the first thoughts are to sue the council for asking you to move on is to me an indication that you are putting yourself above those rules and the privacy of the nearby residents which I believe to be completely selfish and a display of ones character.I'm sure I will be bagged for this post but ask ya self this question before bagging me .If a complete stranger parked his car in you driveway. You come out and ask him what he`s doing and he replies I want to catch a bus at the bus stop out the front of your house. Your reply I imagine would be something of the nature well ya can`t park it there. To which he replies well I can`t park it out the front because that's the bus stop and jumps on the bus .Its my belief that sums up the original post.OK BAG AWAY KIMO

KIMO,Your analogy is flawed. If some one is standing in your yard fishing, then yes you have the right to tell them to bugger off. However, if someone is fishing from public property they have as much right to be there as you. The issue of excessive noise and mess can be dealt with by calling the police as anyone else would do if they had people running amok in front of their house at night. If you have lived in the vicinity of the lake for the past 30-40 years, I would have thought you would have known about the issues surrounding activities at the lake and chosen to live somewhere else. In another analogy, you wouldn?t purchase a house next to the airport if you are sensitive to noise. By the way, great forum guys! I hope to contribute where possible,ninja_turtle

MullyI will not bother posting here again as I see no gain in being labeled a trouble maker for giving you a detailed explanation as to why you should not be fishing there.It is unfortunate that an explanation was needed considering that 2 other posters had attempted to give you the same information as well as the council patrol and still I needed to explain it and I am the one labeled a trouble maker.Under the circumstances it might be suggested that you continue to fish there until you get a fine and purhaps take the Turtle with you. He can detail his Airport theory to them as they write out the fine .Good by KIMO

Ill vent .........Mully- I feel for ya, I have had a similar experience at one of my fav spots, but for fear of opening the proverbial can... thats another story. Being asked to move without sufficient notification (paperwork, signs, ect) is unacceptable as far as im concerned. KIMO it is the approach that was WRONG; Mully cannot be expected to compenstate for the feelings of a landowner ("[i:27k24qup]some one else has probably left the area an hour before [/i:27k24qup] ....."), generally in our society we dont go around thinking about eveyone elses day/hardships/ect, what we are expected to not be offensive, to be civil and to follow laws, ALL OF WHICH MULLY WAS DOING!!!! It is the responsibility of government to Provide laws that act as a guidelines for a cohesive society, It is the responsibility of government to make those laws ACCESSIBLE (SIGNS, NOTIFICATION, PAPPERWORK).Saying 'come to my car ill show you the document and it'll cost you $150 is TOTALY UNACCEPTABLE - WE DO NOT PAY FOR NOTIFICATION OF LAWS/BYLAWS in this COUNTRY. Knowing laws in Australia is a right, but also an expectation, it is however never a privledge. And standover tactics are not cool! KIMO As a longterm resident your opinions about the recreational use of the lake are valid, and you probably know the ins and outs better than most others. The Issue raised by Mully is not about defending turf its about living in a free country and encountering proxy law enforcment Who refuse to provide you with information adequate enough to heed what they are saying. THis does not make Mully a Reble, I dont even know him yet Im defending him because i too thought he was treated unfairly. This is an issue seperate to how landowners feel about people fishing. As for the analogy its so flawed, water would pour straigh through i wont even bother......Finally if KIMO wants to start a toppic about the issues he has raised re sharing lake accessi think that would be a good idea. Sorry for the ear (eye) chewing!!!YAK!

Yac & Butters Ya right no one should have to consider the opinions of the residents, least of all if there is inadequate signage, and to argue whether it is 3.00 metres or 6.00 metres without signage also would seem improper.How is any one to know people even live there.I apologize for my attempt to explain the other side of things and realize that it is hard for some to understand that people do not want strangers wandering about their residents when ever they feel. Its easy to understand that those that enjoy fishing oppose being denied access to the water especially if it is a spot they have caught fish in previously.However have any of you loud mouth fools ever considered that obviously the attitude displayed by most of the posters on this subject is the very reason there are signs in the first place. Suggestions of moving the car, asking for proof and ignoring the rights of the residents, or even worst considering that you have all the rights and the residents none, is the never going to improve things.I all ways new I would get some bagging because there would be some incapable of understanding that you have not always got the right to just fish where ever you like. I just never realised that the best part of the forum thought that way. I will pass this information on to the local council of their responsibility to either put adequate signage up and enforce that signage or leave the anglers alone.Since this seems to be the basis to this dispute, it is hoped that this will be an amicable action pleasing all.Will not Disturb you blokes again KIMO

O.K KIMO points taken, but here is a kayak fisherman's point of view.It was during a session with Brooksey and I in the Kayaks fishing lures and not even making a sound. We were fishing a wall at the outlet when a resident comes out and starts taking pictures of Brooksey and I and telling us to move at least 6 meters away from their property? They may own a house on the lake but they don't own the lake. I told them to jog on and that they had no permission for the photos and told them I would ring the police. My father rang the police but no action was taken though. My point being that if they don't want to look out their front window and see two young kids fishing and not even making a noise then move. No residents own the lake, so get over yourselves! You also added the remark for paying good money for the house on the lake, I pay good money for my gear to use on the lake!~

However have any of you loud mouth fools ever considered that obviously the attitude displayed by most of the posters on this subject is the very reason there are signs in the first place

That's a bit overboard KIMO {SMILIES_PATH}/shocked.gifThis is supposed to be a friendly fishing forum, and so far all of your posts have been [u:3o00lfqh]negative[/u:3o00lfqh]?I'm sure all of us on the site can understand your feelings on the subject, however i doubt highly that the keen members who dedicate a lot of their time to fishing the lake would be the ones responsible for the actions which you describe.Maybe we should all loosen up a little and get back to the fishing, i can see this topic getting out of control {SMILIES_PATH}/sad.gif
Guest Butters

Kimo.You must think that no one can relate to living in a public access area.. I myself live accross the road from a park and given the area i live there is constantly ppl pissing up, yelling and screaming, setting fire to trees etc. etc... i'm always having my car defaced and our yard quite often has rubbish dumped out the front.. but yes, your the only victim here mate?I think i remember at the start of this thread, it was more about being moved on by rent a cops that wouldn't give any proof of their law.Not about residents complaining about rubbish? start a new thread if you wanna talk about that!!!Signing off, Loud mouth Fool!!

Kimo.You must think that no one can relate to living in a public access area.. I myself live accross the road from a park and given the area i live there is constantly ppl pissing up, yelling and screaming, setting fire to trees etc. etc... i'm always having my car defaced and our yard quite often has rubbish dumped out the front.. but yes, your the only victim here mate?I think i remember at the start of this thread, it was more about being moved on by rent a cops that wouldn't give any proof of their law.Not about residents complaining about rubbish? start a new thread if you wanna talk about that!!!Signing off, Loud mouth Fool!!

i think your story puts it in perspective... i rather someone cast a rod infront of my place than set fire to trees or deface my car. KIMO should count himself/herself lucky.