*****The NERVE of Some People*****

Gday all well i went to wallaroo for the weekend and left on the friday. After checking in at the caravan park me and the misses decided to go for a drive down to moonta to get some of there famous Poloni form the butchers, with the clouds looking promising in not raining and very little wind we decided to head to Pt hughes to flick a few chromie spinners at some snook. We headed up to the jetty and there were only to other people on the jetty, since i last went up there we caught the snook at the very end of the jetty. As we got 3/4 of the way up the jetty there was one guy of ethnic origin and he had 4 handlines for squid and 2 rods for fish scattered along the jetty from the start of the outdent to the very end. i wasnt happy. he kept looking at me and i kept shaking my head at him in discust. it was an absolute joke and i was so pissed off i wanted to have a go and say something to him but didnt know if there would be any backfire from it. no wonder why we have such low fish stocks and families cant enjoy fishing because of di**heads like him. it started raining so we left but i didnt know what to do i just wanted to grab the hadnlines and throw them overboard. if you cant obey the rules then dont fish!!!! But yeh i wasnt happy at all about it....What would you guys and girls done if you were faced in that situation?????Brayden

COMMON occurance on whyalla jetty sometimes... and not ny ethnics either.i fish 2 jigs, and thats it...and im right next to both of them at all times.in fact they would be lucky to be more than 2 mtrs apart along the railive been on the jetty sometimes, and cant get a spot anywhere for jig, rods and 15 crab nets by just 2 people....who think its there god given right to do so..i was even there when 2 coppers came walking along the jetty, and look at some very undersize crabs someone had in a bucket.he said for them not to look to hard,while chugging on a beer ( i think he knew the cops)all they said was "were not fisheries...so your ok"screw that.i did call fish watch, but nothing came of it as he packed up and left soon after.pisses me off sometimes... a lot of asians on the jetty at times, and take anything and everything they can get.some of the crabs tken are that small it harldy seems worth the effort.. they dont have a great deal of meat in them

Good move not intervening mate, because all fisherman carry knives. You do not want to get caught up in that sort of trouble. Calling Fishwatch is the best answer even if not much happens most of the time. I thought country cops have the right to inspect your catch?One other thing, what does it matter if the person involved was ethnic, asian or from a british background as most of you are. It has nothing to do with the individuals actions.

Tako wrote:

Good move not intervening mate, because all fisherman carry knives. You do not want to get caught up in that sort of trouble. Calling Fishwatch is the best answer even if not much happens most of the time. I thought country cops have the right to inspect your catch?One other thing, what does it matter if the person involved was ethnic, asian or from a british background as most of you are. It has nothing to do with the individuals actions.

so true.its not just asians doing it, but they seem to do it more blatantly.and what also pisses me off is, it can e quiet..and i jag a squid...ALL OF A SUDDEN I CANT MOVE MY ARMS BECAUSE IVE FOUND THE MAGIC SPOT, AND JIGS COME FLYING FROM ALL OVER BECAUSE A SQUID COMMITED SUICIDEsome parents need a rocket up there arse as well...the ammount of small kids i see running up and down the jetty is staggering...mum and dad are often to busy sucking grog to know that if the kid falls in , they will drown.and ive had a rod broken, and 2 hand lines kicked over by kids running up and down with no supervision.hell... my eldest daughter is the only one allowed on the jetty without holding my hand... and shes 14.the younger daughters at 8 and 5 dont get their feet on the jetty unless ive got a firm hold.

Kayak fishers plan seems a good one,get on the mobile whilst looking in his direction,have done similar myself once but it worked in my favour.Had 2 guys fishing in one of my Port mully spots,and I saw them take an U/S bream.Picked the mobile up and pretended to be making a call,they packed up and left within 5 minutes,had my spot to myself for the rest of the night,had a feeling they wouldnt stick around lol. B)

yeh ive done that before, down at the pat some guys were taking undersize bream and there was a bucketfull of them so on got on the phone and pretended next thing i hear was a big splash and they threw all the fish back in the water as soon as i mentioned the word fishieries and taking of illegall fish.I would of done that down port hughes but neither me or the misses had our phones on us....Brayden

Guest undertaker

it take all sorts mate.....even though you can't do a lot about it,we all suffer,and have to tolerate these knobs.....as previously stated,race has nothing to do with it......unfortunately,ignorance spans all races,colours and creeds.......

rocknev wrote:

Tako wrote:

so true.its not just asians doing it, but they seem to do it more blatantly.and what also pisses me off is, it can e quiet..and i jag a squid...ALL OF A SUDDEN I CANT MOVE MY ARMS BECAUSE IVE FOUND THE MAGIC SPOT, AND JIGS COME FLYING FROM ALL OVER BECAUSE A SQUID COMMITED SUICIDE
Could not agree more with Tako and as far as Nev is concerned, one more reason why I have been given jetties a miss,very anoying but if some had a brain, they'll be twice as dangerous. :angry:
pescados wrote:

SandyWhiting wrote:

]Mmmm A few choice words wouldn't of gone astray from me..

Agreed Sandy, however as said in another post, one needs to be very careful now days.I often felt like saying something but not worth getting a knife stuck into one.
Yer, see ya point there..Not worth getting knifed for, do the phone call right near them, Ha ha ha then watch their face lol :woohoo:

Im a little offended by the "ETHNIC" catagorisation. When I went to school it was the norm but not any more. Nowadays its those that are doing the "categorizing" that are viewed as the ignorant. :blush: There was a bloke on the jetty would have sufficed. There are pros taking tonnes upon tonnes of fish daily. Some poor pensioner has got a couple of extra handlines for squid and it kills your day.You have gone to one of the most beautiful places in the state, you are fishing, not at work, not anywhere u dont want to be but you are FISHING, in a spot u chose to be.U R DOING WHAT U WANT and what do you think about?That wog with the extra handline has taken all my fish. Dude if u go thru life thinking like that u wont get anywhere. Enjoy the day, look at the beauty of where u r.If all you think about is the shit, guess what u will see everywhere u go.

I was down St Kilda a couple of weeks ago a bloke and his family had 4 or 5 Mullet that would fit in your hand. I asked him did he know they had a size limit, and the fish were back in the ater before he could answer. If you dont know the rules dont fish!

Highfly wrote:

Im a little offended by the "ETHNIC" catagorisation. When I went to school it was the norm but not any more. Nowadays its those that are doing the "categorizing" that are viewed as the ignorant. :blush: There was a bloke on the jetty would have sufficed. There are pros taking tonnes upon tonnes of fish daily. Some poor pensioner has got a couple of extra handlines for squid and it kills your day.You have gone to one of the most beautiful places in the state, you are fishing, not at work, not anywhere u dont want to be but you are FISHING, in a spot u chose to be.U R DOING WHAT U WANT and what do you think about?That wog with the extra handline has taken all my fish. Dude if u go thru life thinking like that u wont get anywhere. Enjoy the day, look at the beauty of where u r.If all you think about is the shit, guess what u will see everywhere u go.

fair enough...but picture this...: your heading to your favorite spot, on a day off from work which is well over due.you cant wait to wet a line, except there is no room on the jetty because some persons have 15 crab nets, and 10 jigs out...and not one are attended.fast forward 10 years, i take my daughters down to wet a line, but there is no fish because others have taken the undersize fish before they have had a chance to grow and procreate."daddy... why dont we catch fish like you used to catch when you were little?"now thats hard to explain..."because sweetie...some poeple used to fish with too many lines so they increased their chances of catching fish...sometimes the fish were too little and had to be thrown back, but these inconsiderate people didnt care and took them anyway"trouble is its a fact of life.... shoul i put up with it? nope.... the sooner fisheries take a tuff stance on these people through fines and education, the better.the goverment should be taking steps NOW to employ more officers to get the message out...too hard to police?nope....if you speed in your car you dont do it while there is a cop watching , or if you take undersize fish or use more than the allowable fishing gear, while a fisheries officer is present, dont moan about getting caught.if the offices are out and seen, the dishonest people will think twice before doing the wrong thing.
Guest AC Hardfronts

Gotta Agree with Highfly.. Does get taken a bit over the top some times.. Someone having a few extra handlines which could result in someone getting Knifed if they say something???Enjoy your fishing!! Let karma get the others..

I agree with all these posts EXCEPT.. the ethnicity of people IS IRRELEVANT..! Sure some people don't speak english or are ignorant or just plain STUPID..! have a quiet word to them MOST of the time they will comply if ya say "hey mate you got an illegal amount of lines here can ya please remove a couple so i can have a fish..??" if they are un-obliging DON'T let it ruin YOUR day and just get ya cheapest line and a 2oz sinker and throw it over the top of all thier lines and have a chuckle.... what are they gonna do call fishwatch..?? :unsure:;):laugh: I always have a chat with people for what ever reason and the only time i ever had a problem was with a psycho setting fire to stuff down at rapids and he soon took off when we pretended to call the cops.. so usually this works.. but don't be afraid to just say hi how are ya.. "you know what your doing is wrong..."

1stly onya AC B) Re rocknevIf it bothers you so much ok ring fishwatch. Once you have called them get on with ya day. Enjoy the beautiful day fishing.RE FISH STOCKS:If fish stocks really bother you, get active but not against the l/b reccies. Believe me the anglers who are shore based, this includes jetties piers breakwalls whatever aren't a spit in the wind compared to the prawnies, the netters and the even the long-line fishn pros. Personally for me and almost all my friends almost every year that passes it would seem we are getting better at this sport and every species is getting easier and easier for us to find. Bag limits are coming in more species and faster than ever. Stocks for us arent dimishing but appear to be on the increase. Perhaps if you spent more time improving your skills and less time worrying about what others are doing you would catch more fish. Last thing from me on this,.........I believe your thoughts help you catch fish, when u r confident and happy u catch more fish. When u r in a shit u usually catch sweet fa.U ever noticed that, thats why women usually kick our arse. B)

I think there are some good points both sides of the fence, good topic southie I have to agree if it really gets under your skin just call fishwatch But Fishwatch would only make the guy aware of the regulations I think they are more interested in someone going over there bag limit in crayfish, abalone or snapper Not so much as a guy standing in the rain with 2 rods and a couple of hand lines, while his wife and kids are sitting in the car or just going to get a hot pie and a cup of coffee while he minds there gearNot saying that happened in this case or that’s even rightBut lets say your in a boat going for snapper and you mate takes a nap in the cabin and you rebait his rods are you in the wrong or is that ok ;)

I would say being in a boat they cant do anything, there is more than 1 person aboard with gear, so I cant see that being a problem, because you are in close proximity of the gear..On the Jetty, if the wife is no where to be seen and its only him, maybe a different story, as there is only HIM present.. We have regulations here in Whyalla, regarding NO FISHING for cuttle fish and squid what so ever in the False bay area , Now , I guess the same applies to as "What would you do" if you were fishing for snapper, catch a cuttle fish on the other side of Stony point where you can go cuttling, and squiding, take the live cuttle fish or squid around to the False bay area which here is renown for catching some good snapper off the rocks.. Now what would happen after you have baited up live, and fisheries rock up, and see your live catch in the bucket????????Guess you would be screwed..Bit hard to prove you caught them in the area that your allowed.

Your are right sandy you could show him you gps track to prove it, but if the wont to ping you they willThe other grey area is proximity I have seen people crabbing on a boat and they don’t have to be in the area as long as the nets are tagged the pro boat of Adelaide goes for miles away from there nets yet on a jetty things are different, rules for someAnd what if a have a real big boat sandy ;)

as the education of others seems to bother a lot of people maybe i could suggest something here FISHWATCH is a volanteer service run and supported by volenteers, become a volenteer and all that is required of you after some training in the deelings with people and the rules you will be preaching is a minimum of 1 day a month to cruise the local jetties or water ways teaching the people being complained about here the right ways to go about fishing to make it enjoyable for all..have a think about it guys we all complain these people are not around when we need them why not become one of them..

carps wrote:

as the education of others seems to bother a lot of people maybe i could suggest something here FISHWATCH is a volanteer service run and supported by volenteers, become a volenteer and all that is required of you after some training in the deelings with people and the rules you will be preaching is a minimum of 1 day a month to cruise the local jetties or water ways teaching the people being complained about here the right ways to go about fishing to make it enjoyable for all..have a think about it guys we all complain these people are not around when we need them why not become one of them..

Are you advocating that fishermen actually: Put your money where your mouth is? Stand up to be counted? Do something positive? Act on your own complaints?Take steps to improve the situation?Educate instead of whinge?Be proactive? You're a funny guy Carps! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Have Karma! ;)

I know we get replies saying throw their gear in the water,cast a sinker over their lines whatever,or even saying something to them.[perpetrators]Yeah thats great ,but in my experience it just ruins a trip.You plan a session,get excited in anticipation,get to the spot,then have a verbal exchange with someone...thats it trip ruined.Its hard to be fishing 20 metres away from someone youve just had a go at,its on your mind the whole time, it completley ruins your trip,its not what we go fishing for.Imagine going all the way to Port Hughes,after the long drive,careful preperation,spending all that money,and then having a slanging match with someone doing the wrong thing,and having to fish not far from them for the rest of the day.Did it myself at browns once,put a dampener on everything.I rarely fish jetties anymore,and places like Browns for these reasons.The way I deal with it is just ring fishwatch,that way I dont get a ruined trip and whether or not they turn up at least the concsious is happy that I"ve done something about it.Cheers B)