Catching Whitebait

Mick013 wrote:

hand nets are permitted devices..such as those attached to wood/metal stick.

That's correct. You can use a hand or dab net. What you can't use is any form of mesh net, haul net, drop net, set net, cast net or fish trap.I misinterpreted this:

we used to get them with a fine net that had some fish heads in it.

believing it to mean that when you were younger you had "set" some kind of net baited with fish heads to be retreived later. My mistake.Just be wary with small baitfish. It can be difficult to identify species correctly, as juveniles can look remarkably different to their adult counterparts.

We used to line a long handled net with fine mesh. Then smear mince meat inside.... lower it into the water and wait.Wasnt long before zillions of fish used to start feeding in the shallows.Quick lift once or twice gave you enough small livies for a decent mully or bream sesh.Caught allsorts, poddy mullet, trumpeters, mudskippers.Bream love mudskippers

it also works if you go in shallow water(if you fish on the peninsula then just south of Balgowan is full of places for whitebait)then throw little pieces of razor fish in the water about 1 foot away from you and use a net when the whitebait come stand very still and lift the net that the razor fish is sitting in up really fast.matt654

• 6 months later...

I saw 2 guys in West lakes , northern end a few weeks ago using a throw net about 2am.... i yelled out " What are you doing" they yelled back " F OFF" being by myself and with a flat phone i did :( was pretty mad though.....They were in the shallows near the boat ramp :angry::angry: Sambo

sorry Sambo for some reason I thought you where in a boat, always a good idea to carry a baseball bat in your car + a ball of course for when you go to the park for practice ;) Not a problem Ranger I always wear my jocks over my pants I saw all the young people wearing pants around their knees and thought id'e go 1 better :laugh: have some karma for that post mate :laugh::laugh:

Piranha wrote:

I always wear my jocks over my pants I saw all the young people wearing pants around their knees and thought id'e go 1 better :laugh:

That could take off! I suggest we all start the outside underpants vigilante group to patrol local recreational fishing destinations!Red underpants are the only prerequisite for membership of our little force! :cheer:
Ranger wrote:
Piranha wrote:
I always wear my jocks over my pants I saw all the young people wearing pants around their knees and thought id'e go 1 better :laugh:
That could take off! I suggest we all start the outside underpants vigilante group to patrol local recreational fishing destinations!Red underpants are the only prerequisite for membership of our little force! :cheer:[/quote[/quotesounds good! I have 2 pairs of red jocks so i suppose i'm good for 2 patrols a week :) Will save the black jocks for covert deep cover night missions.
samboman wrote:

I don't think that would have stopped them, they didn't give a crap.... plus i was parked in a dead end street and they could have blocked me in and got me if they wanted..... You don't know what anyone is possible of these days...Sambo

dude... ive followed your patrol around Morgan Quarry.. there aint anything such as a dead end street... ;) saw some asians using cast nets at st kilda. was rather pissed off!!!
Del wrote:

samboman wrote:

I don't think that would have stopped them, they didn't give a crap.... plus i was parked in a dead end street and they could have blocked me in and got me if they wanted..... You don't know what anyone is possible of these days...Sambo

dude... ive followed your patrol around Morgan Quarry.. there aint anything such as a dead end street... ;) saw some asians using cast nets at st kilda. was rather pissed off!!!
Yeah but i love my patrol Del.... they would have ended up underneath it or smash it up lolSambo