Port Wakefield fishing

There's still YFW and KG's to be had, as well as some nice Mullet, managed two nice Salmon at the weekend from Pt Clinton, depending on what size of boat you have there are plenty of nice little spots that arn't fished too heavily.Mike

May have to try somewhere in the vicinity even Ardrossan as suggested. Mike the boats a 6.3 meter Sea legend so should be right for most waters, and CK The water probably would have been my first choice. Thanks. LOL. It sounds a bit patchy on the whole. Appreciate the info guys.

Guest undertaker

A friend of mine has a shack at Wakefield......takes the boat out for his crabs,but always fishes from the wharf there,but only on BIG high tides.......this time of year will be yellowfin whiting predominantly.........not massive catches,but enough for a feed.....3 or 4 keepers in amongst the little fella's.........just remember to take care of the juvenile fish ;)

Try this area for Whiting and Snapper, Whiting on any in coming tide, Snapper on the out going tide, generally early morning, be there b4 sunup and late evening, around dusk till dark and laterBe aware of the depth of water under you if you come in at dark and a low tide, many a novice to the area has sat through a change of tide34-14-618138-04-839Dont blab about this area 'cos it was a secret spotPic of Snapper caught at this spot 2 months ago. Posted Image Plenty of Squid in the area as wellGood luck, you wont need luck, good fishingO

I have a shack on the wharf at Wakefield you will catch a few fish and crabs off the wharf. If you have a boat try the Y gutters out from Peters creek for silver and kg and possible squid if the water is clear, the bald hill run for snapper and whiting, Pt. Arthur run for salmon, mullet and maybe snapper, crabs at all places in shallower water but a lot of measuring to be done. Best of luck, I will be there next wednesday for a few days.

• 7 years later...

Just came across this old topic, wondering if anyone has any updated info for the area?

Wakey is my closest ramp so wouldn't mind a bit of info of the area.

cheers.

Drive a little further to a small town called Price it is the best kept secret in SA for small boats.It is very tidal but has a couple of channels that stay deep on the low.I started fishing this spot in the late 70s and still try to get there at least once a year.On the run out I would use  a heavy running rig with half a pillie and just about every bait would be hit by average to large salmon.Just to list a few of the fish I have caught in this spot.Salmon, eagle ray,The biggest flathead I have ever seen (please put them back they are the breeders) big snook, tommies,small sharks,yellow fin,mullet,elephant shark,mulloway(scoolies mainly) big crabs on line they just love pillies,.This spot fires up around the start of spring for flatties, on the low tide fish the edges of the channel.Salmon are there all year shitties are a problem in the middle of summer and some good whiting are about in winter at the end of the channel in about 3 ft of water.If you can get an arial photo of Price it would be a massive bonus just to see the hidden creeks that appear only at low tide.Burly is not needed as it is a natural burley stream in its self but if you want to some surfice burley does help with the tommies.Price is a day trip as you can only get in and out on high to mid tide in say an 18 ft boat as compared to a 12 ft tinny has access all day.The town has a caravan park and a good pub right next to it.Of all the places I have fished in my 54 years I still get very excited about Price and the prospect of a great days fishing.Give it a try put the time in and you will love it.