crabbing box

Here is an idea of mine To help sort and preserve crabs. The reason I came up with this is seeing so many people putting every crab in the tub and sorting later (usually the crabs die after being exposed to the sun and fighting) and having the tub blow over and losing most of the catch. 1/ All you do is get two broccoli boxes with lids 2/ join them together side by side long ways 3/ hinge one lid on the out side and put a simple catch on closing side 'inside'(a bit of velcro or elastic would do) 4/ leave the other side open 5/ attach a tow strap completely around the whole lot and tie in a crab measure 6/ put a couple of bottles of ice in the lockable side Now comes the easy part catching the crabs. :laugh: when you rake one up simply put it in the uncovered side measure and if legal put two size 32 rubber bands around the claws now the crab is immobilized put in the side with a lid and ice bottles, by doing this the crabs wont fight and tangle with each other and with stay fresh after a long crabbing session in the heat. remember it is only made of foam so treat it carefully. If you decide to try this method I think you will like it, maybe a bit feed back and results/pics would be good.cheers osd

Nice tip osd. B) Another little tip for anyone interested is just nail a crab measure onto a 2 foot piece of dowell.This way you can measure the crab whilst it is still on the rake,no fuss,no handling, as your hands are well away from the crab ,if it doesnt make the cut just shake him off .Even works well in crab nets as well,no need to pick them up,just measure,and if undersize just turn the net upside down and shake them out.Cheers B)