Great whites need to be removed

Should we walk everywhere because there is more risk of dieing in a car accident!If we are going to continually look at every risk we would b wrapped in bubble wrap and never let out of a padded room. If you dont want to taken by a shark dont go in the water!!!!!!We go into there home! Its funny how its never the person's fault its always the animal.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well personally i wouldnt hold it against the shark. That person is taking that risk every time he goes out in his boat or for a surf. We have absolutely no right whatsoever to kill a shark because someone was attacked in that sharks territory. Its not the sharks fault he is king of the ocean food chain and has to eat. it is proven that white pointers are NOT targeting humans as a prey item, the only shark that does that is a bull shark. They only attack surfers because they look like seals from underneath its like a bream looking at a lure that looks like an injured fish or a prey item and that bream's instinct is to attack. It is my opinion that we shouldnt go after whites because someone entered its territory and it attacks that person. My mate had a shark encounter once in his yak when a white came up circled him and poked its head out to take a look and swam off, didnt attack was just curious it saw he wasnt a prey item and just swam off. White pointers arent just dumb killing machines they are actually really smart creatures they know what is prey and what is not. In my opinion if someone gets eaten it is their fault for entering this sharks territory and pissing it off. i mean i would be pretty pissed too if someone entered my home uninvited. SO JUST LEAVE THE SHARKS ALONE AND LET NATURE TAKE ITS COURSE!!! :angry::angry:

a good friend of my mum and dad(rip dad)and also a keen fisherman, had a great white bite his cousins wife in half, and came back for the other half and it was witnessed in front of other people...including her husband and 4 children truley horrific...our friend didnt wish the shark to be killed, and still doesnt.this happened a fair amount of years ago.shirley anne durdin.

From what I have seen the larger majority of people are in agreeance that if you enter the GW's territory you are taking the risk and why should they be punished for just being a GW.There also needs to be a clearly defined line here between sharks in general and Great Whites.Is there any way we can throw voting buttons into this thread ??I would love to see voting buttons that reflect the following;- Enter at own risk understanding possible results- Nets should be in place instead of current methods of alert- Kill all GW's that enter a set vacinity in our gulf watersI'm sure results would paint some sort of a picture.On a seperate note...If people are so worried about taking their family out into the middle of the gulf chasing snapper in a 12ft tinny ( crazy !! ) why do you not invest some money ino a shark deterent ?? Best of both worlds then and the only things that gets hurt is your wallet for making that decision.Not sure how much a sharksheild is http://www.sharkshield.com/Content/Home/ but theyr'e NATO stockcodified so I can find out when I get back to work. If theyr'e good enough for military then theyr'e good enough for my family if I was that was inclined.

Hi again guys, I am a bit disappointed that nobody attempted to reply to my earlier questions about this topic. Hence I will answer myself! ;) Honestly I really do not care much whichever way the government handles this. I was happy fishing years back when you could chase them, and I am still happy fishing now that you can't. Personally, I would never attempt trying catching a White Pointer, even from a 40+ foot boat. I would enjoy hooking one and play it on the line for an hour or so, but I would probably cut the line at some point. I have seen the damage a small 2m shark can do on a boat let alone a 5+ meter white!!! I have read several articles written by people who have chased them in the past and believe me, in most cases they don't sound like my kind of "fishing fun"! I will therefore reinforce my logic here:Catching a few GWs in the gulfs will barely reduce any risks associated with them! I think we will never be safe because we will never catch them all! Secondly allowing to catch them will probably end up attracting even more to our beaches! And lastly, how do you feel a GW is going to feel after having been fighting against humans for 3 hours on a line if he then gets away??? I certainly would not like to be the human swimming near that fish after his experience! As someone correctly said earlier, and also from the feeling I got from my previous encounters, I also got the feeling that this is an highly intelligent fish!As always my $0.02,Opti

opti i dont think it would change a thing if you were allowed to target them as the amount of burley already pumped into out waters over the next 5 months by us people already targetting the toothy critters would not increase...i also dont think a shark smart or not is going to be able to put together that that hook in his mouth is attached to a line witch is attached to a rod is also attached to a human tharefore lets go eat a human :huh::huh: as for the damage done to vessel well i never said i wanted to boat the thing havent you heard THEY BITE would only ever catch tag release..if i was lucky enough to ever catch one let alone get it boat side...another reason i would never support culling them why get rid of what would have to be one of the most prized catches a fisherman could have (IF IT WERE MADE LEGAL OF COURSE)...

Without taking a side or debating on catching V not catching, can I just discuss a couple of these points?optimaxworld wrote:

allowing to catch them will probably end up attracting even more to our beaches!

Are we sure of this?That would certainly be the case if the animal was territorial. You remove the resident animal and another moves in to take up and occupy that vacated territory.These sharks aren't territorial at all though are they? They spend their lives on the move, have been proven to be a "migratory species" and their movements have been followed by a CSIRO tagging and satellite tracking program?http://www.csiro.au/csiro/search/CSIROau.html?query_gn=shark+tracking&area=site

how do you feel a GW is going to feel after having been fighting against humans for 3 hours on a line if he then gets away??? I certainly would not like to be the human swimming near that fish after his experience! As someone correctly said earlier, and also from the feeling I got from my previous encounters, I also got the feeling that this is an highly intelligent fish!

If they are highly intelligent, surely a battle like this would make them very WARY and LESS likely to enter an encounter with humans again. After all, aren't boats berleying and tourism diving with sharks currently being blamed for the sharks becoming less wary of us and one of the supposed reasons why we are seeing more large sharks of recent years?Surely a highly intelligent animal, once stung, would learn from that encounter, wouldn't it? As intelligence in an animal is really rated by the ability to determine "cause and effect" from past experiences.ie:Cause - boat and baited hookEffect- pain and stressIntelligent response- Stay away from boats and baited hooksThen again, I'm not so sure sharks are really highly intelligent. I think they are just very well adapted and efficient, and they do have a very small brain.Here's a little something worth reading on GW shark intelligence, and a site which offers some very interesting reading:http://www.elasmo-research.org/education/white_shark/intelligence.htm

Many people pride themselves on being intelligent, yet most have no clear idea of what they mean by that term. We recognize that there are different degrees of intelligence, ranging from moderate to extreme, although we find it very difficult to measure this quality in a way that everyone can agree upon. And most of us accept that, although clearly not as clever as ourselves, certain animals - such as dolphins, monkeys, octopuses, and at least some dogs - show signs of intelligence, whatever that is.Defining intelligence is not easy. The challenge becomes particularly difficult if we attempt to define this elusive quality in a way that facilitates comparison across species boundaries. But if we are to tackle the question of White Shark intelligence, we must begin with at least a working definition of that slippery concept. I would suggest that, at its crux, 'intelligence' is the faculty of understanding the relationship between cause and effect. In practice, intelligence often involves making a choice from among several options by drawing upon experience to make judgments about likely consequences. The efficiency with which an animal can apply its past to shape its own future in ways desirable to itself is thus an index of intelligence. In evolutionary terms, the intelligence of animals can be measured and compared in terms of speed (how long it takes to make decisions) and adaptive fitness (the number of copies of an animal's genes that survive into future generations as a result of the sum-total of its decisions). The faster and more adaptively an animal can make such decisions, the more intelligent it is.As far as I know, this definition of intelligence is original with me. And although it may seem a fairly good attempt to define a complex and subtle concept in theory, it is extremely difficult to apply in practice. For example, not all decisions are of a simple either-or type; some are mind-bogglingly complex, involving the careful weighing of many factors and options before a decision likely to yield 'desirable' results can be reached. Therefore, comparing the number of units of time it takes an animal to arrive at decisions of different complexity - even assuming we can understand all of the parameters, sub-decisions, and implications involved - is all but meaningless. Further, it is extremely difficult to trace the reproductive consequences of a wild animal's decisions. While it is fairly easy to trace human descendants and captive animals from virtually any pair of biological parents, this is much, much harder to do in the wild. It is conceivable that, sometime in the future, it may be possible to model all decisions as a series of binary options and to track the genetic legacy of any wild animal parent. But until such methodologies become available, my definition is not terribly helpful toward measuring the intelligence of the White Shark. Fortunately, there are some generally agreed-upon correlates of intelligence that we can compare across species boundaries. Two physical correlates of intelligence are the relative size and complexity of the brain. Per unit of body mass, the White Shark has a rather small - but very differently-wired - brain compared with that of humans, and a medium-sized, moderately-developed brain compared with that of most sharks. Because we understand relatively little about how the physical structure of the brain affects decision-making processes, we cannot meaningfully compare the brains of sharks and humans, nor can we knowledgeably compare the decision-making mechanisms among various sharks.The behavior of an animal is often the only indicator we have of what goes on in another creature's mind. Unfortunately, like other sharks, the White Shark is very difficult to study in the wild. And since sharks generally behave oddly in captivity - and the White Shark, in particular, has never been successfully maintained in an aquarium for more than a few days - we have little more to go on that a few, scattered anecdotes. Yet those anecdotes are highly suggestive that the White Shark often behaves in ways that are, by my working definition, intelligent.underwater photographer Valerie Taylor described an incident in which a large White Shark off South Australia stopped feeding on the bait it had been enthusiastically consuming and swam over to a large metal drum that had fallen into the water, apparently to investigate it; the shark repeatedly nipped the bobbing drum in a way that suggests exploratory play abalone diver Jon Holcomb described an attack on him by a large White Shark, in which the shark nipped and shook his right arm and released it, bumped him three or four times in the chest with its nose, and then nipped, shook and released his left arm; until Holcomb struck the shark with his abalone iron, the animal's investigation of him was surprisingly gentle and seems strangely systematic numerous reputable sport and commercial divers have noticed that White Sharks seem to be very aware of a diver's eyes, and routinely approach from behind; this suggests a prudent caution in visually inspecting divers, which are large, noisy, and in many cases unfamiliar animals when testing a prototype of an electronic shark repellent in South Africa, Valerie Taylor noted that within a few hours, all the White Sharks lured to the area with bait became very wary of the research vessel, offered baits, and Valerie herself, having apparently learned that - in that particular context, at least - these formerly familiar objects often carried an unpleasant electric field researcher Scot Anderson has noted that the smaller, younger White Sharks at the South Farallon Islands often bump, mouth, and nip his research vessel, but the larger, older animals ignore the vessel, apparently having learned that the boat is neither food nor threat in the fatal attack on Theo Klein off South Africa, a White Shark insinuated itself between Klein's body and a would-be rescuer riding a surf board; this suggest that the shark was protecting its ownership of a food resource by preventing access to it at Smitswinkle Bay, South Africa, whale biologist Peter Best reported as many a seven White Sharks apparently working in concert to move the carcass of a partially beached Pygmy Right Whale (Caprea marginata) into deeper water to facilitate feeding; if true, this incident suggests an impressive understanding of the basic properties of floating objects So, what can we conclude about the 'intelligence' if the White Shark from reports such as these? Only that this species seems to possess curiosity and a sense of exploratory play, the ability to investigate novel objects in an apparently systematic way, a keen sense of caution and quickly learns to avoid unpleasant stimuli, it can learn to recognize inedible objects and not waste effort in trying to eat them, it has a sense of property and will defend a food resource in an oriented, apparently calculated - but non-violent - way, and may even co-operate to enable group members to maximize their feeding efficiency.If I am interpreting these reports correctly, it is not hard to conceive how such responses could be adaptive. Balancing curiosity with caution seems a prudent means to increase the likelihood of surviving long enough to breed successfully. The ability to explore novel objects and to learn which are edible and which are potentially harmful may lead to a richer, more varied, and therefore more reliable diet. Because reproductive success in sharks is directly related to feeding success - with better fed individuals generally attaining maturity at an earlier age and having larger litters of bigger pups, which are themselves better able to survive than smaller pups - being better able to be feed and avoid danger can be expected to result in greater genetic representation in future generations.So, is the White Shark 'intelligent'? Based on the evidence available to me at present, I just don't know. In its own way, it probably is. After all, White Sharks have been successfully making a living in the single largest interconnected living space on our planet for more than 10 million years. In contrast, our species has only been around for perhaps 1/100th as long - and in that time (among some very laudable and even noble achievements), we have been able to pollute our environment, devise ever more elaborate ways to save time that we don't quite know what to do with, and repeatedly use our cleverness to cheat, abuse, or kill off one another at a profligate rate. Now I ask you: is that intelligent?

As I made mention earlier, even experts can't come to an agreement on all this stuff. http://www.csiro.au/files/mediaRelease/mr2004/tagshark.htm

"Managing the impact of human activities on white sharks in Australian waters is a complex challenge combining the interests of public safety, commercial and recreational fishing, tourism and conservation," Mr Bruce says."But information on the status and behaviour of white sharks in Australian waters is limited and often speculative. We're addressing this information gap on white sharks through research that examines their movement patterns, linkages between populations and favoured habitats, and their biological characteristics.""The research is part of a broader program aimed at understanding the role of top order predators in coastal and open ocean marine ecosystems."

How are we as mere mortal fishermen likely to make any more sense of it than the experts who spend their lives studying the subject?

sorry opti, i read you post and forgot about it after reading all the others , but i will answer question 1;no i dont think it is a good idea. i dont know exactly what the scientific evidence is and the fact that we realy know very little about them will not reflect the whole story.my old boy used to dive for abs back when you didnt need a million to do it , he has been spearing , fishing ,diving ect in sa for over forty years when he stopped.his general idea [ and its only his opinion ] is that there was a huge decline for about fifteen years when people used to catch and kill them. funnily about the same period surrounding jaws. in the years since it was made illeagal to target them in relation to their breeding cycles and sexual maturity we are realy probly only seeing the first decent numbers of mature females and males that are from the surviving numbers of the kill days, and they are now breeding and having their own pups, and that is a good thing not bad. if you take survival of the fittest into it natural selection ect that doesnt leave them much to work with in the grounds of breeding stock. i would like to think that we have come past the whole "kill what we dont understand" mentality of years gone by, and to adopt anything like that again on any scale is a huge step back.if we do however feel so strongly about them there is a fella that relocates whites or has done in the past for the snapper longliners who have problems with them taking all their fish.why not give that a crack.unless they are fully killed off which is totally stupid we will always get them in the gulf areas, as we know the areas around dangerous reef, spilsby and neptune island is a prefered breeding ground for them and should be kept this way.you have way more chance of being killed in queensland by a bull shark than you have of being killed in sa by a white.in all my years of surfing i hardly saw a shark in sa.within three hours of being in the water in qld i saw ten.i know where i would feel safer.just because there is the idea that there may only be a couple of bigguns in the gulf doesnt mean there is, when the whale was off cape jervis i counted seventeen in the water in the short time i was out there. ranging from two year olds up to fully grown females close to twenty feet and it is truly an awsome thing to see.we also were surfing at tunks beach for the week surrounding that and even though we could see the boats dotted around and the choppers it was a very safe feeling. those puppies were well fed and we knew where they were!it also showed how dumb some people are, i still have a vhs tape with fotage of one of the bigger females with her tail and dorsal fin out of the water next too some tool in a zodiac, the gap between the fins was bigger than the whole zodiac, and this guy had his kids with him! one flick of that girls tail and they would all be cactus.let em live we have killed more of them than they ever will of us.

Ranger good read !!Some very intersting points in there which seem to highlight the curiosity factor... after all they don't have hands and fingers do they :ohmy: chrisjc wrote:

i still have a vhs tape with fotage of one of the bigger females with her tail and dorsal fin out of the water next too some tool in a zodiac, the gap between the fins was bigger than the whole zodiac, and this guy had his kids with him! one flick of that girls tail and they would all be cactus.let em live we have killed more of them than they ever will of us.

Yeah... might as well be a 12ft tinny let alone an inflatable boat. People are prepared to get them selves into that situation and when all turns ugly... it wasn't their fault ! :angry:

I thought i might as well comment on this as well! being a ex surfer and bodyboarder and also a new kayak fisherman(although due to the broken leg the maiden voyage will still be 6 more weeks) i love sharks and think they are magnificent beasts and they share top spot with crocodiles as my favourite in the animal kingdom. the only time i didnt like sharks was when i was in the water and i hoped to not come across old noahs ark! but knowing full well if i did i would be one unlucky f@#$ker. This did not stop me wanting to surf out the back of middleton where the gutters (that we surf fishermen cast into looking for big fish hold mulloway and small sharks as well as probably big ones too) were quite deep! and also surfing over 500 metres ofshore with just a bodyboard too sit on i never had a shark encounter and i am glad but if i was attacked and died i would not want the shark killed as many other people have said we are in their territory and we enter at our own risk and this doesnt stop alot of people and never will no matter how many shark attacks there are.

While I would quite possibly think and feel differently if it happened to someone I know, you take a risk when you go out on the water, and should accept that risk that goes along with it.Why should nature suffer for our lifestyle after all :huh:From that angle I think they should be left to do what they do, just as we humans wish to be left to do what we do.In my opinion too many humans think they are a superior species, and too easily forget that we also are animals, part of the cycle of life and death on this planet and mother nature treats us as such.maybe we should just accept and respect that ?

hi ranger, enjoyed your post and comments. As I said, I am just not interested in fishing GWs. You are probably right, fishing for them would not make things worse, but my question was, will it make things any better? Honestly I don't think it will make anyone in swimming/diving or boating on a 12 feet boat any safer! As you all might realize I love fishing too, as the cherry on top! Boating and the contact with the ocean is what I really enjoy the most. This is why I love boating/fishing. A long time ago` I used to go hunting, but while I would not mind shooting a Roo, or a Fox or a Pig, if someone would propose me to go on a Safari for Lions, Tigers or Rhinos, I would give it a pass, as they are too Majestic and too Few of them for us to disregard. I have been Duck shooting a few times, but if someone would say to me lets go hunting/shooting Eagles, I would give it a pass too. Regardless whether they would be protected or not! With a GW I maintain the same philosophy! Maybe it is a bit of respect for an animal that is a King in its own environment, an animal that has been able to survive anything since almost the dawn of life on our beautiful planet and the only thing he can certainly not survive is Humans! All the above mentioned animals are way too rare for us to have fun with! I have done lots and lots of boating in SA gulf waters, 1000s of hours up and down Gulf Waters and KI's north coast. I have had my crew dive for Crays (with the pods, sharkshield) lots of time, yet, we have only seen 2 GWs! I feel that these restrictions were put in place to protect what is by most considered the best "fishing machine" in the world! after us humans, of course. We should be proud to live in SA, one of the world's capitals as far as GWs, and if we keep it this way, if we look after and protect rather than bother this amazing creature, I am sure the world in a few years will have to come here, in SA to enjoy this amazing beast! When we fish down passed Snug, near Cape Borda, one of my favorite past times is to feed the Sea Eagles that live on the Cliffs down there. Seeing these wild Eagles (still very big though a fair bit smaller than a Wedged Tail) fly down to the back of the boat to collect the stunned live fish we throw at them is just another reason I am happy to spend the money, battle the waves and get down there! the other is my hope to see my 3rd GW!Opti

Sorry peoples, I respect your opinions BUT...........my opinionIn metro waters people should come first,I reckon the same whites roll up every year at the same time.If you take em out, It'll be ages before others take their place, It was over ten years before a white took big freds place. Now this one rolls up every year and cruises right past Glenelg to goannas only a few kms out. Ive had it go under the boat about 500m from shore from Henley. We where telling bathers to get out of the water, next day that kid got taken from Westbeach.Its probably the same shark thats taken those two people out. Take it out Burleying in the gulf will not attract whitess from outside the gulf.Hooking it wont get it angry it will encourage it to piss off

Highfly wrote:

In metro waters people should come first,I reckon the same whites roll up every year at the same time.If you take em out, It'll be ages before others take their place, Its probably the same shark thats taken those two people out.

Here's a new thought.... from the same left feild as many supporters taking their thoughts from... Get rid of the snapper in the gulf and you get rid of the noahs ??? Huh... simple ins't it ? :blink:

It's an interesting topic to debate, but at the end of the day nothing needs to change, at least not in S.A.There's no way to keep sharks away from any area. Here in NSW they employ shark nets on the popular swimming beaches, and the Govt. stand by their policy. It's a hot point of debate here at present because of the annual whale migration, every year whales get caught up in shark nets.The statistics speak for themselves as to the actual effectiveness of the net program, it's indisputable.Interestingly, kilometers of beach can be made reasonably safe by just one net a hundred metres long placed in a known shark travel alley, it disrupts their travel routine and prevents them setting up a beat to patrol.The trouble is, sharks can still go anywhere they want.In my opinion swimmers aren't really in any danger on beaches, they don't venture far. It's surfers who are at risk. I spent most of the 70s and 80s surfing places like Cactus and Streaky and never saw a white while surfing, although a mate survived a white attack at Cactus. There have been others who weren't so lucky. One death that has always stuck in my mind was a young lad who was swimming a short distance from the jetty at point sinclair to his parents yacht anchored nearby.All you can do is minimize the risk to yourself.Since I moved to NSW, I was surprised to learn just how common Whites are here. Along Stockton beach, just North of Newcastle, they are very common, it's now thought to be a breeding ground for them as most sightings are juvenile sharks. It doesn't deter surfers, the Whites feast on the hordes of Salmon which are a permanent presence, and people just don't seem to be on the menu. South Aust. is a different story though, and I saw my share of bigguns while working on the Tuna poling boats from Port Lincoln in the 80s, scary stuff even standing on the deck of big boat.Bottom line is, there is nothing that can be done to make the sea safe from White Pointer attack, other than netting popular swimming beaches, and that gives people a false sense of security. Most people think the beaches are actually netted off i.e. nothing can get in, but truth is far from it.

jagger wrote:

Highfly wrote:

out.

Here's a new thought.... from the same left feild as many supporters taking their thoughts from... Get rid of the snapper in the gulf and you get rid of the noahs ??? Huh... simple ins't it ? :blink:
righto jagger im gonna do my bit on this thought over the next coupla months :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
jagger wrote:

Highfly wrote:

In metro waters people should come first,I reckon the same whites roll up every year at the same time.If you take em out, It'll be ages before others take their place, Its probably the same shark thats taken those two people out.

ok.... im on it.... i will do MORE fishing until ive caught ever last one of them. :laugh:
rocknev wrote:

jagger wrote:

Highfly wrote:

ok.... im on it.... i will do MORE fishing until ive caught ever last one of them. :laugh:
It's logical though isn't it ??? :side: :silly: Get rid of the food source and they won't bother us... But hang on there's that thing called the natural balance that humans love to mess with so much. Ged rid of the snapper which will get rid of the noahs.. but hang on, then the blueys and squid will go on the attack with their numbers so high, and we all know they like shallow water.. wer'e doomed :blink: :silly: On a serious note...The human race really needs to stop trying to play god, it never ends well for other species other than our own :( I think from memory the extinct species on earth now is well in the thousands. I personally would like my son to experience things that I have. ;)

If you dont want to risk being eaten by a shark, swim in a pool and fish in your garden pond.If society took the view that all those animals that pose a threat should be "removed" what a shitty world we would live in, unless you take the obvious extention to that in that the biggest risk to man is man therefore we should take the human race out of the equasion. Sounds a little extreeme me thinks.me, my wife and son have already agreed that if any of us were taken by a shark (however unlikely the event) there should be no payback/revenge on any shark that happens to be in the area or anywhere for that matter.

Guest AC Hardfronts

I think jagger is onto it.. Its their home.. We have to respect that.. How many ppl have been taken from inside their boats anyway? Do we need to remove all the big smoothies from the sea aswell.. because the croc man got killed by one?

i couldnt care less if it takes two weeks or ten years for a white to be replaced by another, killing it off for the sake of a minority of people who think its their right to swim safely is an easy option. it is their right to swim in a safe area, a public pool.however i do think that if there is a way to relocate them somehow, which has been done that would be a viable option, but only as a solution to knocking them off, just leave them alone.you have other options1. move away2. buy a pool3. dont swim4. buy a deterent[ pod ]killing one shark because you cant be arsed buying a shark deterent [about a grand] is truly a easy option for yourself.i understand about preventing your kids or family from being a victim, and i respect that.However, how much money would have you spent this year alone on 1. car insurance 2.medical insurance 3. home insurance 4.contents insurance?more than the cost of a pod i would guess.if people feel so strongly about their kids or family being attacked, buy one ,if not it is they who are putting a price on their family.

the whities have increased for sure...and they are getting bigger...in whyalla anyway.its only a matter of time before someone is taken.couple of years ago, there was a white in very close.... just past the blueline at whyallas forshore...it was seen by at least 10boats,and my mate got a bad quality video of it on his phone.this white, then was seen going UNDER the whyalla fishing jetty, and was reported in the local paper.just yesterday a local pro fisher "shep" had 4 around his boat at the same time...one he said was at least 18ft long, and 6 foot across its back.a true monster.when it came up next to the boat (20ft nureus) its dorsal was level with the gunwales...sheps touched its dorsal, and it went spare...now sheps is a big bloke,and hes in a good sized boat and has seen it all before on the water.but hes never seen 4 whites at the same time. he is heading to the same spot today.? why you ask? because thats his job...no fish means no money to pay the bills.these 4 sharks took 20 snapper off of his hooks, and he got spooled twice,when a snapper got swallowed whole with the line still attached.that happened to my younger bro when a 12 ft white took his snapper at mareks reef last year.it took the snapper on the surface, and just took off for a run until the line snapper...ive seen the video...hell of a run.sheps deckie, put his hand over the side to wash them, and put his hands on top of a whites head, which was just sitting there next to the boat.now i know where sheps fishes...and believe me...he inst far from shore....LESS than 2kms...im all for appreciating a great animal, but its just a fish...IF it is causing problems, and moving towards town where it could be a problem, it needs to be handled...im not saying kill it, but if thats the last resort, then so be it.another pro fisher in town has chased a 9ft white out of the whyalla marina 5 yrs ago.THE WHITES ARE TO BE ADMIRED, BUT IF THEY CAUSE PROBLEMS, THEY ARE BENEATH HUMANS....thats my 2.2cents worth (gst included)heres pluggers video....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U47ni29dSo

Can I share something I found on another website. They were discussing the danger sharks pose to kayakers in Australia, and whether kayakers need to justify some form of protection or deterent.One member came out with this, which I thought was quite appropriate:

How many times a year do you have a car accident?Do you have a seatbelt?Do you have airbags?Do you have car insurance?

should all pedestrians be removed from walking across roads " in case" a car my hit them ??more chance of getting stabbed walking to your car on a fri night at the pubworried about snakesI have 2 Dogsriding a bike on the roadsoccer mums driving big 4wds are deadlyShould we walk everywhere because there is more risk of dieing in a car accident!The above comments are interesting and have meaning for some sort of thread in some forum discussion suited elsewhere.With so many comments to leave the GW alone is fair enough as they are just a part of the whole ocean system.During this summer when I read the paper and see a front page story of a swimmer or a boat fisherman attacked and taken a human life by a GW which has been spotted during the last week in our metro waters.I’ll do the same thing as the rest of you after reading the story and flip the page to see what the cricket score is.
rocknev wrote:

THE WHITES ARE TO BE ADMIRED, BUT IF THEY CAUSE PROBLEMS, THEY ARE BENEATH HUMANS....

No offnece meant RN, but I cant agree at all with that staement in any way at all !Since when have us Humans been superior to any animal on this earth? Isnt that kind of thinking the main reason why so much of our planet is stuffed up by humans ?We cause many problems to many species, so maybe it could be argued that we are beneath them and should therefore be removed ?I know...... I sound like a tree hugger :silly: but at the end of the day, humans just happen to be at the top of the evolutionary tree, but I for one dont see how or why that gives us any more rights than any other animal on this planet.In my opinion to act in any other way is contemptuous of the environment ? :huh: I think we should be foccused more on ways to live with nature, much like the Australian Aboriginies have for many thousands of years :)B) I dont charge GST, so thats just my plain old 2c worth ;) Cheers

It's Simple if your that worried about shark STAY OUT OFF THE WATER They Have the RIGHT to LIVE just as must as anyone has in there own domain. You are the one that has crossed over into there World . The Skipper of that tinnie should have never put his Family in that sort of Danger in the first Place, Safty should always come first. The Boat was not big enough to be in open waters, SAFELY. Stay on Dry Land if you want but I going Fishing. :woohoo: :cheer: Watersnake

I don't see how the comments ausea has pulled from the discussion are irrelevant, to gain an understanding of a topic it needs to be discussed and to liken risks between riding a bike or snakes to coming across a 20ft white in a 12ft tinny are fair statements. Its all about taking risks that are personal ones. You don't have to ride a bike, you don't have to go bushwalking and run across snakes and you don't have to go out in a tinny if you know there is a risk of sharks. Everyone has shared responsible and thought out opinions so far so I don't see why people have to try other people look wrong or stupid

statesquider wrote:

I don't see how the comments ausea has pulled from the discussion are irrelevant, to gain an understanding of a topic it needs to be discussed and to liken risks between riding a bike or snakes to coming across a 20ft white in a 12ft tinny are fair statements. Its all about taking risks that are personal ones. You don't have to ride a bike, you don't have to go bushwalking and run across snakes and you don't have to go out in a tinny if you know there is a risk of sharks. Everyone has shared responsible and thought out opinions so far so I don't see why people have to try other people look wrong or stupid

ditto... i have MY thoughts on great whites....IF i chose to swim in the deep water, i might be making a death wish, but if im in shallow should i feel safe? im not saying shoot the sharks, BUT if i cant take my kids down to the beach in summer, for a paddle and a swim, there is something wrong...each animal deserves to live...INCLUDING ME....now if i had a choice, me or the shark,(or worse...my kids or a shark) i know which one i would pick....and so would every one on here...no one can tell me the great white is still an endangered species... not with the reports ive seen on the tv, newspapers,online etc etc..they are increasing in numbers, with no natural predators capt maybe a killer whale, which ive never heard of in the gulfs.there are more whites than before,and less snapper than before...something tells me they will be changing their diet.there will come a time,(maybe this year) that i believe there will be some innocent kid, who is enjoying a paddle with the parents, in shallow, and be killed..now IF it was my kids, i would make sure that the culprit shark wont do it again....some may say that it stuff like that could happen in a car crash with a drunk...and maybe it can... but the drunk will be held accountable..the shark will be made accountable as well in my eyes, same as if it were a dog bit my kids...i dont wish harm on ANY animal.... but if push comes to shove, i know what i would do...

Why is the 12 foot tinnie always mentioned,lets change it to a 16 foot tinnie or a 16 foot glass.Still going to be hair raising experience when you’ve got 4-5 meters of eating machine circulating the boat.Many a stories where white pointers have hit the hull from below so hard on 16 foot glass boats and virtually lifted the boat out of the water.But people will go out fishing this season in 12 and 13 foot tinnies/glass and they can get caught in a very nasty situation and only be 500m from shore.All just starts of as a fun day out then one day for someone things go bad.All because they decided to protect a killing machine that has entered the metro coast line.Then answer this.Kids are jumping of the end of the brighton jetty and the water is clear,they spot a large shark moving towards the group in the water and as it gets closer it has all the looks of a great white.Just happens 2 cops had walked out to the end of the jetty and they to see the shark circling the few kids in the water.By the way you’re one of the cops on that jetty.Do you pull out a gun and start blasting or do they stand there and do nothing as this shark is protected and it’s doing it’s natural thing.