Great whites need to be removed

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cant speak for others... but the day i put a shark over another human being, is the day i jump in with the sharks...if the shark even looked the slightest bit menacing to them kids, i would shoot it....now IF the shark was swimming under the same jetty with nobody in the water, i would just admire an awesome animal swimming as nature intended it.and in reality,,, EVERYONE on this forum would do the same thing IMHO.if YOU had the chance to save a life over a fish,you would do it in a heartbeat...and nothing will convince me otherwise.it would be exactly the same result if it was a dog, elephant,sheep,lizard,spider, or even a butterfly....i could not live with myself knowing i could possibly have saved a young child or an adult but instead i watched them get ripped apart and eaten,just because the shark is protected...thats not me.....

this is getting beyond a joke, so lets just pull out some scenario and see who agrees with it?of course youd shoot the bloody shark. and no one is asking you to choose a shark over your families.the question asked was regarding killing sharks in the gulf not wheather you would shoot a shark off brighton jettie or choose an animal over your kids.there is no proof that there is more whites around now more than ever that is actually solid, as the research done is really very young and doesnt reflect on a long enough time frame to show the truth.if they are in plague proportions, why is it when the proffesional shark tour fellas who are supposed to be the best in their feild go looking on a tour sometimes they can be out there for days on end and dont see a single white?thats hardly a plague proportion.theres no snapper there because the fishos have pilaged the place. fishing for them or killing them will not solve any problems. there is enough morons in boats knocking them off illeagaly as it is, i just dont think we need any more.

and for the record , i am all for prevention of shark attacksbut i think getting the results you want by simply knocking the population down a few knotches is a easy option to a non existent problem.there will allways be shark attacks in sa , its where they live. but there is usually only one a year. every few years we may get two but its a rare circumstance.i would change my stance in a hurry if there was some kind of proof that we had been put on their menu, trust me . but i hardly think we should kill a few just so someone can "feel" safer.

Look,exploiting a natural resource to extinction like they have done in so many other countries is appalling. Profiting from its demise............. not on is it ?Protecting ourselves and the lives of our children is another matter all together.If you live near the bush and browns snakes decided to live at your house would you take em out. Im mean the snakes where here before your house was,... what right does anyone have to move the snakes, get a snake reppelent, walk around in a protective suit.Do you leave redbacks in ya kids toys. Its their domain outside... how dare you move them or poison them with environment destroying insecticide. What about mossies do you spray them when u go outside, who cares if they spread disaese. Outside is their domain. What right do we have...........Get a life ya greeny wanna be's ?Sharks are great right next to my chips and salad.

Guest SuperThahn

I can not beleive this thread has lasted this long.Some of the stuff on here is absolute bullshit!!Come on nick.Were there toys here before man? Where there houses here before man? I leave snakes alone regardless. Unless they are in my house which has never hapened. Do you see people go on mass killing missions to rid the state of snakes?I dont spray mozzies i use repellant. Bit like a shark sheild dont you think?

Dude what else would I do all day long, Im bored !Whenever something seems a bit one sided I just like to give and alternate perspective, as ridiculous as it may seem to some. :P Is it my opinion ? probably not. Just giving different examples of some of their arguments. Its their domain ............Where Adelaide is and every other city and town in the world was once the domain of relocated animals. What do these blokes want......... :P Hover cities ?

greeny wanna be's!mate thats a classic :laugh: but there is nothing greeny about being against a seriously d...head aproach to a problem that isnt there.you guys watch too much tv, and believe it.and its about prevention the proper way.for instance , you should probably not let you kids toys get redbacks in them, instead of cleaning them out once the problems there. maybee put them inside or something.and i would be the first one to put my hand up to knock em if there was a serious problem but there isnt.

so far this thread has not got to bad but and this is a big but you cannot start a thread like this and then get annoyed when people disagree with your thoughts,this thread was always gonna start a slight shit storm and its been managed quite well to date ,some remarks are starting to get narky though,maybe a thread like this should be restricted to 1 response per person so as no one can have the chance to argue there point or for that matter argue someone elses thoughts on the matter.maybe something to consider fellas make your point and move on cos we are never going to all agree on this one ;)

Guest SuperThahn

Pescados hense why I have not replied til now.Sometimes reality gets mixed up with fantasy.Remove all the sharks so the swimmers are safe????Come on what world do we live in.Its a bit like when white people first came to Australia and then forced the NATIVE Australians who were ORIGINALLY here off cliffs and killed them. Very poor way of looking at things.Thats it from me knowing that the government would never kill off the sharks.ill leave you guys... to squabble over it.Over and out.PS Keep a hold of reality ;);)

AND THIS IS JUST THE REPORTED ONES.... OF NOTE IS HOW CLOSE SOME OF THEM ARE TO SHORE.... 700MTRES FOR A GREAT WHITE IN WHYALLA.... AT A GUESS I WOULD SAY THAT WAS THE WHITE IN THE VIDEO I POSTED FROM A WORKMATE.AND THAT WAS A BIG WHITE....IM PRETTY SURE I SAW A WHITE FROM THE ROCKS WHERE I FISH...COUPLE OF YRS AGO, CANT BE SURE, BUT I DONT KNOW MANY FISH THAT WILL EAT A LARGE RAY ON THE SURFACE... DIDNT GET A REAL GOOD LOOK AS IT WAS 300MTRS AWAY, BUT I SAW THE FIN... http://www.pir.sa.gov.au/fisheries/fishwatch/sharks/shark_sighting_log

dale wrote:

after mon i know dont panic or make too much eye contact and you will be fine after my first encounter with over 4 metre in 4.2 tinny i still took a lad out ballooning next day same spot but no more washing hands or squid over the side!!!!!ill post vid on weekend

Whoooooooa.. :ohmy: :ohmy: Scary stuff, looking forward to the vid too..I often wash my hands in the water but I can see the bottom lol

As some people have compared snakes with sharks let’s got have a look at thatAll snakes are protected species in Australia Yet if there is a snake in your backyard and it was no threat to anyone you would let it be or if you’re in the city call a pest remover (exterminator)But if your family or lets say child looked like they were in danger you would hit with a stick, boom and shovel till it stopped moving and as far as a know that is widely accepted In fact if you or your child have be bitten the doctor would like to see the snake preferably deadSo let’s go back to sharks, Being protected you would have to say there numbers have increased So if you see a 6m Great White close to shore that shark isn’t hunting Mullet Sure you chase them off with a spotter plane or helicopter but sharks are attracted to noise, that’s a know fact, Burly also and apparently they love chicken So this summer there will be well over 1000 boats of metro waters every weekend and some weekdays + the Thousands of people swimming jetty jumping etc That’s a lot of people in the water making noise and a lot of boats burling for garfish to snapper and I imagine a lot of kfc being consumed So we all know they are protected and if you or your family feel threatened and or being attacked What are your rights? Can you protect yourself are you allowed to use a sharp stick too poke it in the eyeCan you throw sinkers at it; you never know it might eventually die of lead poisoning Answering auseas question I would tell my partner, I think we need a bigger gun ;)

shane wrote:

As some people have compared snakes with sharks let’s got have a look at thatAll snakes are protected species in Australia Yet if there is a snake in your backyard and it was no threat to anyone you would let it be or if you’re in the city call a pest remover (exterminator)But if your family or lets say child looked like they were in danger you would hit with a stick, boom and shovel till it stopped moving and as far as a know that is widely accepted In fact if you or your child have be bitten the doctor would like to see the snake preferably dead

Now here's something I am qualified to comment on. I spent 7 years as a snake catcher (Adelaide Snake Catchers Inc) being one of those "exterminators" who removes them from your homes.Yes, being native animals all snakes are protected!HOWEVER, due to the danger snakes pose to the public, the ruling on snakes are different to the ruling imposed on other protected species of animal.You can legally kill any venomous snake, even with a DEHAA-Dept Environment, Heritage and Aboriginal Affairs (formerly Dept of Parks & Wildlife) officer standing watching, as long as you are in fear for your safety!Bear in mind, many species of venomous snake are widespread and secure in their status. They are protected only because they are Australian natives, NOT because they are endangered or threatened.Also bear in mind, many people are actually bitten in their attempt to kill snakes.....while underestimating the speed of the snake! (Are ya listening Sir Squidley of Post Hole Shovel?)If you are bitten, the doctors no longer want to see the snake (dead or alive) as they know the risk is greater in you trying to catch and kill the thing, and their venom detection kits these days are more than an adequate method of identification. The doctors only ask that you don't wash the wound, so that the venom detection kit can actually do it's job.On to sharks! I wasn't going to air my own views, but seeing is everyone else has had the chance to have a say, I might also add my own thoughts on it.In regards to GW's, I'd suggest they are protected for a very good reason, and if we really care about conservation and the marine environment we need to respect that protected status.It's not the fact that GW's are in the water which worries me, as that IS their habitat and we all know they follow the schools of fish into the gulfs each summer.In our boats we are likely to encounter them. We often see photo's taken by our peers in local waters, where they have encountered sharks, and we should each have a plan of action for if we do.The only part which worries me is the ever increasing number of sightings we are seeing in the shallow waters only a few hundred metres from our most popular metro beaches, and the reasons behind this increasing number of sightings. Why are we seeing more and what is prompting them to come in closer to shore? Are we just more vigilant or are the numbers and interactions really on the increase?I don't go swimming in deep waters, in the middle of the ocean, or in isolated areas. That area doesn't concern me! That IS where sharks live and yes I would be taking an unnecessary risk to swim out there, and be it on my own head if I take that risk!I swim on our metro beaches between Glenelg and Largs, in shallow water close to the shore, and this is not the sort of place described as GW habitat, or the sort of place I would expect to find this species of shark. This is the sort of area where I only expect to find the relatively harmless resident Bronzies, and the sort of area I would expect to be safe for my children! Yet this is exactly the area where someone WAS taken by sharks! Yes, only ONE person in recent times, so is that considered acceptable and minimal?The increasing sightings of recent years do have me worried, including the fact that this one guy was taken not so long back, just 400m from the beach at one of our most popular beaches in the middle of summer when families and children flock to the area in droves! Isn't this is meant to be a patrolled beach safe for swimming?I hear the majority saying that you take a risk entering the water and the risk is too small to worry about, so deal with that risk if you wanna go in. I guess the risk is pretty small, unless you happen to be that ONE unlucky person who looks quite tasty!I also hear people saying if someone they knew were taken, that they wouldn't blame the shark.Now I know the risk is relatively low, but I'm wondering if I have some sorta character flaw, because I just don't think I could be so accepting and balanced in the event that it did actually happened to me!I might be a very confused and vengeful little individual, but I recon if a loved one of mine were taken in shallow water on a metro beach and only metres from shore, by an efficient, focused and calculating killing machine carefully patrolling the area and summing us up for a taste test, my initial reaction would be to shoot it, stab it, hook it, claw it's eyes out, napalm it, frag it, or nuke the thing in my quest for revenge!Then I’d jump up and down blaming the authorities for inadequate patrols, nets and vigilance on our local swimming beaches!I wouldn’t call for death to all sharks, but I’d certainly want the one which ate my family member to become next weeks toilet decoration!I'm sure the majority would condemn me for my actions, and they may be right! After all, that could hardly considered the actions of a balanced, conservation minded member of our community who should be thinking about the protected status of this species and how the shark can't really be blamed for eating my children! The balanced mind would tell me it's actually my own fault for taking my children to Semaphore, West Beach or Glenelg in summer and allowing them into the water! But my guess is that the “balanced” mind wouldn't be the one who had just lost a loved one and is feeling more than a little unhinged by the encounter!Maybe the shark really IS further up the evolutionary scale than I am! It's been around an awful lot longer, and it's actions don't become unhinged or clouded by emotion the way mine do! :S I might be very wrong in my thoughts here, but an honest opinion was called for, so I'm giving it! Apart from that though, if sharks don't go eating people I know close to shore on metro beaches, then I have no problem with them, and they can have the rest of the oceans to play in!I wonder if everyone else is being brutally honest, and really considering how they would think and feel if they were placed in the situation where they lost a loved one? Would they REALLY just accept that their children took the risk by going to the beach and deal with it?I’m not calling for sharks to be eradicated or destroyed! I’m not calling for public outcry or outrage in regards to sharks, snakes, crocodiles or jellyfish. All I’m asking for is that our "local metropolitan swimming beaches" are safeguarded so that our families do have somewhere to swim, and enjoy the sun loving culture we have always enjoyed.Do I know what the correct answer is to this issue though? Could it be nets on our beaches? Could it be increased air patrols and vigilance? Could it be a ban on fishing from our beaches? Could it be removal or eradication of GW's found in the area? Could it be banning people from the water for their own safety? Could it be compulsory shark deterent devices for swimmers? Could it be acceptable risk and we should just expect to lose a swimmer every now and again? Could it be the risk is negligible and we are all just wasting our time here?I don't have that answer! I'm just a lowly fisherman, and not a very good one at that! So for answers I look to the experts in the field, to increased research, and to a greater understanding. Then this summer when the family head to Semaphore for a swim and an ice cream, I really hope the air patrols haven't been scaled down due to budgetry cutbacks again!

That’s Ranger I think you covered every thing there ;) There is one thing I should add If you are out in your 12ft tinny with your family this summerEnjoying yourself and catching a few garfish or pulling up delicious Blue SwimmersAnd a big Bitey Starts circling your boat or choking on your outboard Pull the pin or cut the Achor rope and head straight back in and put a 4sale sign on it Go buy a carton of beer sit down and watch the cricket and then give your wallet to your misses because it’s going to cost you some retail therapy :unsure: :dry: :P

Just the nature of things I suppose. Just like the fishin mags put out how to catch a............. at similar times every year and car mags put the same tech articles up every 12-18 months. Newcomers request that info wanting to aquire info and older or the more knowledgeable get bored with the same stuff. Opinions and the way society sees things change so we will probably see this same topic reappear again next summer.Oh and my opinion on the matter, this year ;) . We should have safe swimming beaches, and at the expense of the GW too bad. They have enough ocean out there to not need the first 3 or 4 hundred metres off of our coastline. :ohmy:

I'm not sure I agree with those who think sharks are more common near metro beaches these days. More common compared to what?As a nipper in the Henley surf life savers during the 60s, I remember shark sightings were very common. The club had a shark siren, and it got used often. The older guys would row the surf boat out and try to scare the sharks away from the area, the jetty seemed to attract quite a few. Don't know what species they were, I was only a kid, but some of the sharks were huge, and clearly visible from up on the jetty, in shallow water.

The most common sharks that are spotted are Bronze Whalers. Very few whites are spotted. You will most commonly spot whites at port lincon around the tuna racks or they will be spotted at Kangaroo island hunting for seals or the Neptune Islands. Or wherever the snapper are biting. But there was Big Fred who used to hang around glenelg all the way down to outer harbour. He never attacked anyone. :)

Guest SuperThahn

Rangfish i spend every weekend out in the boat and never seen a bronzie come up to the boat. Whites a different story.Bronzies are way to shy to do that.Caught plenty of bronzies from 1kg to 235kg and never seen one of them. ;)

SuperThahn wrote:

Rangfish i spend every weekend out in the boat and never seen a bronzie come up to the boat. Whites a different story.Bronzies are way to shy to do that.Caught plenty of bronzies from 1kg to 235kg and never seen one of them. ;)

Bronzies are to shy to do do what ??? be curious and have a look at something... I have been surfing when they have swam through a pack of surfers, had one sighted under the same wave as which I was surfing late afternoon, seen them when racing the rubber ducks with surflifesaving, why even just last week my old surfing teacher had one pop up right next to her whilst sitting waiting for a wave at seaford.My opinion is that if you have a bait in the water for them you probably wouldn't see them as they would be interested in the food being presented to them not curious about what is happening about them .Remember, all these creatures are curious by nature being opportunistic feeders, they will check things out in their own way.
Guest SuperThahn

Jagger I am talking about a bronzie coming up and having a chew on your outboard leg or anything like that.Sure as hell hasnt happened to me and sure as hell hasnt happened to anyone i know.We do a lot of sharking and pretty much every other shark will come and have a look at the boat before eating a bait with the exception of a bronzie.