Keeping fish fillets

Just wondering what works for people and how do you keep your fish or filletsThis the way I keep fillets I lay the fillets on a freezer bag, then another bag, and so onI can pick up individual fillets if I want, depending on how many fillets are neededI’m always looking for new and better ideas I haven’t got one for crabs? They take up a lot of room in the freezer Posted Image

I normally bag up about 4 fillets in a ziplock bag and label with the fish type, amount of fillets and date caught so I can rotate my fish in the freezer and always keep them fresh. Generally i'm just feeding me and the missus. I like your idea though, that would save a lot of broken fillets when you get impatient ;) and pull them apart before fully defrosted. Also great idea when you're cooking for 1.As for crabs I haven't come up with anything fantastic yet but I clean them and halve them and remove the claws. The claws get folded up as compact as possible and take up minimal room. Then I fold the legs underneath the crab half and they sort of tuck in and take up less room. All gets bagged and if you get big zip locked bags you can fit quite a few and make a solid block that I pull the odd bit out of when I cook them up.All the leftover shell and guts gets its own bag and is frozen until I make burley again :) Nothing wasted!!

The technique that you use shane is a very good one! When i was a chef this is how all our fish that were filleted used to come they were in what they call shatterpacks so we used to drop the box of 5 or 10 kilos on the floor and they would come apart in their layers without breaking! The product that chuckemback is talking about comes from the same crew that make glad wrap and is called Go between and its just sheets of clear food grade plastic that come in a roll like gladwrap and in the kitchen we use to use about 1 aday as you can put them on top of soups or liquids to stop a skin forming or to put on top of a bowl thats marinadind something in it without having to waste glad wrap and they are especially good for layering the fish in tha freezer! :) anuther technique you can use is with the vacuum seal tey arent very expensive nowadays, and you can lay your fish in i guess a serve or 2 at a time and then all the air gets sucked out leaving only a very small package to fit in the freezer :)