Shimano warranty

Hi everyone,18 months ago I purchased a Tekoda 600 from Got One at St Marys SA.I was told it will handle the type of fishing I do over the west coast and it comes with a 10 year warranty.Recently playing a small (4 foot gummy shark) the reel went into free spool and I had to cut the line.Upon the inspection that Shimano did the came back and told me the reel had salt inside it so was not covered under warranty. I am now to foot the full bill for the repair as the clutch has gone.Could you imagine the clutch going on your new Holden and for them to say, Sorry not under warranty.Note this reel has been used about 7 or 8 times and never outside the boat.Has anybody had similar problems with Shimano ? {SMILIES_PATH}/sad.gifAll the best to you all Regards David

Guest Butters

That sounds a bit rough from shimano David, No warranty for Salt in the reel..!! {SMILIES_PATH}/shocked.gifhas the reel been over the side before? or is the salt just from water spray?

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,The reel has eventually been repaired (at my cost) .So much for 10 year warranty {SMILIES_PATH}/huh.gifThe cost was $55.00 from Got One St Marys SA where I bought it from.They did NOT assist at all in the warranty so I dont shop there any more.Ray and Anns at Pennington are much cheaper for all items that I have purchased.Do yourself a favour and stop getting ripped off.RegardsDave

Dave, if you are unhappy with the conditions of warranty, have ya considered now going straight to the top and contacting Dunphy Sports/Shimano Australia yaself?Once you explain your side of the story to someone who matters instead of a sales rep or service technician, ya never know what the outcome might be, and you've lost nothing to make a call or write a letter.A lot of large companies will bend a little as a gesture of goodwill to their consumers once you talk to the right people.

Hi everyone,The reel has eventually been repaired (at my cost) .So much for 10 year warranty ???The cost was $55.00 from Got One St Marys SA where I bought it from.They did NOT assist at all in the warranty so I dont shop there any more.Ray and Anns at Pennington are much cheaper for all items that I have purchased.Do yourself a favour and stop getting ripped off.RegardsDave

Sorry to hear about your experience Dave, that is just crap mate! >:( I would be absolutely filthy too if it were me in your shoes.I can also endorse the service from the tackle store you mentioned. I had a Raider whose crok grip imploded and it was replaced without fuss. I then got the butt back, and 2nd time I used it I was casting an SX40 and for no apparent reason, the tip snapped about 3 inches below the last guide. Once again, replaced without fuss. Shimano product, not a drama. I would suggest that either the rep or the tackle store owner didn't give a rats about your dilemma and decided you should unfairly fork out for the repairs yourself. >:(I think you made the right decision to take your business elsewhere, and yes, I would be writing to Dunphy Sport and telling them of your issue. That is just absurd and real bad PR for the company. {SMILIES_PATH}/angry.gif:(" title="Angry" />Cheers,Wino

To answer you question Splash, No i have not generally encountered problems dealing with Shimano/Dunphy warranties, and I have sent hundreds their way.Now i know you said the matter has been dealt with, and if your happy (enough) that is fine, however, acting on your behalf the store in question should have vouched for you and ensured the product was fixed underwarranty. The SA rep for Dunphy is a great bloke, who cares about individual customers and stores relationships with them. He would never deny a genuine warranty claim, especially if the store backs your claim.Now it seems like you have found the solution, but as it may help others too, may i suggest that in future, If anyone has a warranty issue and is not happy with service provided at the store of purchase or it is inconvineint to go there, ANY STORE which sells the same gear CAN PROCESS YOUR WARRANTY. Just somehting to think about.better luck in the future!