tommy recipes

Guest davidm#2

best to be cooked the day you catch them. they dont store well. im a big fan of floured then battered and fried. and add some season all spice to the flour, and also some spices to the batter mixture. i use the flour from the flour bag into the batter mixture.

A mate of mine is famous for his crumbed tommy rolls.Get your Tommy fillets and roll them in seasoned breadcrumbs,lightly fry them until golden ,then put them into a nice buttered roll with beetroot,lettuce,tomato, salt and pepper and some thousand island dressing.Bloody beautiful! B)B)

Guest davidm#2
piratepom wrote:

If you have got a smoke box, smoked tommies are fantastic.

yea ive heard that there gr8 smoked but dont have a smoker, woud i be able to do them in a weber??these all sound very tasty, so keep them coming. :):laugh: i got about 4 meals worth so might try a few different recipescheers david :silly: :)B)

I'm another who'll put my hand up for smoking them. Tommies are an oily fleshed fish, which smokes superbly, and there's not much better than enjoying a few smoked Tommies with a cold beer at the end of the day.They're dead easy to smoke, it can be done in a webber or a cheap smoking box, and once you've tried em you will be coming back for more!As well as the Tommies and oysters, also try smoking a bit of cheese as well.Those Australian Herring just don't smoke up as well as the good ol' Tommy Ruffs do! ;)

• 4 months later...

re: smoking in a webberlight just 3 heat beadsfind approximately a matchbox full of wood to slow the burn down, wrap your wood of choice in foil (you dont need sawdust) and soak it in water for a few minutes place the foiled wet wood on the heatbeads and cover works well for chicken as welli always smoke chicken wings like this before cooking (cooked because like my fat crunchy :)i have even tried this with success in our oven. place the foiled wet wood over the lowest flame you can muster (my oven is vented to outside, dont try it if yours is not :)craig