Finding Bait on the YP

Hey all,I do most of my fishing on the Yorke Peninsula and was wondering if anyone knows were I can start pumping/digging worms/nippers etc. I fish a lot for sand whiting (off the beach) and keep getting this pain down the left side of my body when I buy cockles!I have recently had a bit of success with hard body lures by the way (46cm sand whiting- pb) but I like to have bait for when they are less aggressive.The beaches I regularly fish don't seem to have worm/nipper holes or anything obvious...

I cant help with anywhere to dig bait on YP.The Berkley gulp 6" soft plastic camo worms make a good alternative for sand whiting if you're in a bit of a pinch.Also, don't ignore that pain down ya left side either, as it can be a warning sign of something much worse..........Costlycocklitis! :blink: Welcome to the site! ;)

Hey Blake, The only spot I can think of having the right habitat for pumping baits that I have seen (but not witnessed or done) is the mangrove area on the way to Ardrossan at Pt Clinton I think it is, at the Northern end of Tiddy Widdy Beach(driving from Adelaide direction) But I do know you get blueys there for certain.Hope this helps ;)

kayakfisher wrote:

We used to get these worms that looked kinda like earthworms out of the seaweed piled up on the beach at hardwicke bay. They were a gun on the mullet and I'm sure they would work on whiting too.

They pretty much work on everything,have caught Tommies,Gar,Whiting[both KG and Yellowfin]Flathead,Salmon Trout,Shitties,Mullet,Sweep,Zebrafish,Drummer,almost anything.Cheers B)

Hey Solid317,I usually fish Tiddy Widdy and some other beaches- depends on wind/tide. Tiddy Widdy for Sand Whiting is good- usually catch plenty on bait and have caught a few recently on hard body lures- on 4lb tackle it's a lot of fun- especially fish over the 40cm mark. I've spooked some big flathead up around 75cm + but never managed to catch one there on lures. I also fish The Gap on the other side of the YP. I think I'll try some of the beaches/rocks on the other side as soon as the wind dies down a bit. Maybe camp The Gap or Pt Riley rocks.I just bought my first boat too (15ft half cab fibreglass) so that will probably start to take up my time (I need a boat licence first though!!!). I still prefer beach fishing though for the scenery etc.

i havent done much fishing at tiddy widdy as whenever i go the missus alway drags the dumb dogs down (i like the dogs but they just dont get that they shouldnt come anywhere near me, yet alone in the water near me when i am fishing :angry: ) so fish are alway scared off before i could get near them. i have had limited success about the same distance the other side of ardrossan, but the ground can get quite boggy in places making wading impossible. i reckon i might try heading to tiddy without the missus finding out :silly: might bump into you sometime i'll be the one looking over his shoulder hoping the missus didnt follow me :laugh:

solid317 wrote:

whenever i go the missus alway drags the dumb dogs down (i like the dogs but they just dont get that they shouldnt come anywhere near me, yet alone in the water near me when i am fishing :angry: )

Tell the missus the new laws state dogs need to be kept on a leash at all times these days, so if she wants to take the dogs, she also has to look after them and restrain them. While you fish in peace, she can swim with the hounds! ;)

ah yes laws...the curse of anyone with any common sense, use your head and there isnt a problem, dont use your head and a law is made to make everyone sufferit was light hearted humor on my part ranger. the dogs dont really bother me that much as we always take them a long way from anyone and i dont worry about taking the rods when we take the dogs, did once and that was a fault on my part. all dogs need to be able to run or they do go "stir crazy". our yard is rather big but it does not allow a very decent run. if these law makers had any sense they would realise that by not allowing dogs to run then they are committing animal cruelty - and i am NOT a tree hugging hippy! - i do not believe that dogs should be let loose when there are other people around which is why they are always taken to secluded areas. so i will not leash my dogs on a beach regardless of what any laws are. dog owners are put in very hard situations as we cannot leave them locked in a yard as that is animal cruelty, we cannot let them run in public places as that is now illegal, we can walk them but that just doesnt cut it for any dog. they need to run. councils dont provide a fenced off parkland in every single town where we can let our dogs run, i have seen one in adelaide but i cannot drive 2 hours to let my dogs run legally!sorry for ranting but this was a finding bait on YP topic not a slam dog owners topic therefore i got frustrated and felt like justifying my right to own a dog and let it go for a run and a swim!

• 13 years later...

Hi dose anyone know where I can harvest beach worms on the York Peninsula? I'm working on the Peninsula (Port Hughes) for the next 6 month's and love whiting. I've been catching beach worms for the last 8 years and fishing on Fraser Island. If someone could tell me where to find them and doesn't t know how to catch them I'm more that happy to show you how to catch them.