Stay Tuned

Guest GNSS

Looks like we might be getting the go ahead from the top to go live and list/publish those sites that continue to abuse, adulterate and misinterprete the GeoCentric Datum of Australia 1994 (GDA94).Long time coming and still a bit going on behind the scenes but possibly appears the hard heads might have to withdraw the head and extract the digit?

It means that there is probably going to be a real and concerted attempt at preventing on going issues with illegal definitions and incorrect application of reference to GDA94.This has some fairly important ramifications a little further down the track when GDA undergoes further changes but at the moment what might have been an education campaign todate is going to target some of the applicators. I don't believe you have any issues here now but there are others who do and just maybe word of mouth will reach them first?What you might call an advertizing campaign.

GNSS wrote:

It means that there is probably going to be a real and concerted attempt at preventing on going issues with illegal definitions and incorrect application of reference to GDA94.This has some fairly important ramifications a little further down the track when GDA undergoes further changes but at the moment what might have been an education campaign todate is going to target some of the applicators. I don't believe you have any issues here now but there are others who do and just maybe word of mouth will reach them first?What you might call an advertizing campaign.

In Australia it is spelt advertising with an s B) GNZZ :P:lol:
GNSS wrote:

That's the good thing about advertizing :cheer: It's the bad advertizing that gets talked about, keep talking because it matters none how you spell it, it's the message that counts.

again.... im STILL lost.no in plain inglish,,,, what are you trying to tell uz?
rocknev wrote:

GNSS wrote:

That's the good thing about advertizing :cheer: It's the bad advertizing that gets talked about, keep talking because it matters none how you spell it, it's the message that counts.

Ok in simple terms it is the bad incompetent practice of referring to the datum GDA94 (Geocentric Datum of Australia 1994), using incorrect wording such as Geographic and references that confuse with older datums.The only references that apply (has applied) to Australia areGDA94 (Geocentric Datum of Australia 1994) currentAGD84 (Australian Geodetic Datum 1984) oldAGD66 (Australian Geodetic Datum 1996) oldWGS84 (World Geodetic System 1984) will pass but requires further qualification about use and different versionsIn essence if you see any datum mentioned in (or associated with) Australia that does not match the above "exactly" then feel free to point this out to whoever it may be so they can basically do the right thing and get it right.This applies from the normal user right through the whole spectrum to state and national bodies.

Looks like it has something to do with GPS,found this on google:IntroductionThe Geocentric Datum of Australia (GDA) is the new Australian coordinate system, replacing the Australian Geodetic Datum (AGD).GDA is part of a global coordinate reference frame and is directly compatible with the Global Positioning System (GPS).Don't know whether this makes sense as I don't have GPS.

Like most members here, I have no idea what an "illegal definition" is, what authority is doing this "cracking down", what the penalty for using a wrong word or "illegal definition" is, or even who really gives a toss if a GPS user accidentally utters a wrong word and says Geographic instead of Geocentric or Geodetic. Is that now illegal, and who are these GPS police?WHO is getting the go ahead from what top? What sites are guilty of abusing, adulterating and misinterpreting? What crime has been committed? What body or corporation do you belong to?I have absolutely no bl**dy idea what "further qualification" WGS84 actually requires for me to know it's WGS84. I have no bl**dy idea what "applicators are being targetted". What IS an applicator and WHO is targetting them? I have no idea what "advertizing" is being promoted or what message is being sent out.You are telling us:

I don't believe you have any issues here now but there are others who do and just maybe word of mouth will reach them first?

Who DOES have issues then? Where are they? What is illegal? What is the governing authority? What is the penalty? Who is cracking down? What applicators are you talking about? What definition is illegal? Why aren't you off telling those who DO have the issues this information? What advertizers are breaking what law?Maybe I'm ignorant, maybe I'm stupid, maybe I just couldn't care less.Please stop talking in circles! It seems you are determined and intent to confuse, confound and only provide limited information and vague references so as to remain illegible.GNSS if you get excited about this, well and good! Enjoy your word games, enjoy your correct terminology and punctuation. Enjoy your datums, conversions and formats, but I'm getting sick of reading it, I'm getting sick of complaints sent to us about it, I'm getting sick of stopping arguements you start about it, and I'm getting sick of deleting comments during these arguements!If you have something to say, or some sort of inside knowledge to share, then say it! Say it in full! Explain yourself properly! Get it over and done with and put an end to it!The members here do not need to be attacked for failing to provide a datum with a gps mark, or forgetting to include a decimal point or punctuation in their mark format. Likewise using an incorrect word or confusing a word (Geographic, Geodetic, Geocentric) is no crime to a bunch of recreational fishermen!It's time to cut the bullsh*t, the arguements, and the carry-on!This is about the third attempt at this same topic and arguement. I've already had to delete comments from a number of members, I've had complaints from a number of members, and if I have to delete or edit anymore posts on this subject, I will simply shut it down and remove each reference to this topic! I'm teetering on the edge of shutting this topic down right now before it goes any further, so if you'd like the chance to explain what authority is cracking down on what illegal definitions from what applicators, and what advertizers are incorrect in what place in the world, and what we are "staying tuned" for, or what go ahead you are getting from what authority, or what authority you belong to to even get a go ahead, then take this opportunity to say it now, as it may be about the last!
GNSS wrote:

rocknev wrote:

GNSS wrote:

Ok in simple terms it is the bad incompetent practice of referring to the datum GDA94 (Geocentric Datum of Australia 1994), using incorrect wording such as Geographic and references that confuse with older datums.The only references that apply (has applied) to Australia areGDA94 (Geocentric Datum of Australia 1994) currentAGD84 (Australian Geodetic Datum 1984) oldAGD66 (Australian Geodetic Datum 1996) oldWGS84 (World Geodetic System 1984) will pass but requires further qualification about use and different versionsIn essence if you see any datum mentioned in (or associated with) Australia that does not match the above "exactly" then feel free to point this out to whoever it may be so they can basically do the right thing and get it right.This applies from the normal user right through the whole spectrum to state and national bodies.
GNSS,I'm sure that you mean well, but isn't there a GPS forum somewhere that would fully understand the issues and care about the result?We're fisho's and this is a fishing forum :blink: Some of us still talk about "Tommy Ruff" and haven't been struck down or locked up - yet.RJ

RJ.. Good point :) it will always be a Tommy Ruff and a Goolwa Cockle..just as much as I'll always be using WGS84. Afterall, my C-Map Chart is WGS84 and I can't change that let alone enter my plots into C-Map PC-Planner software in any other wanky format like GeowhateverDA94 :woohoo:Here ya go GNSS.. knock yerself out with this one.........http://www.gpsunderground.com/forums/index.php :)

Ranger wrote:

Like most members here, I have no idea what an "illegal definition" is, what authority is doing this "cracking down", what the penalty for using a wrong word or "illegal definition" is, or even who really gives a toss if a GPS user accidentally utters a wrong word and says Geographic instead of Geocentric or Geodetic. Is that now illegal, and who are these GPS police?WHO is getting the go ahead from what top? What sites are guilty of abusing, adulterating and misinterpreting? What crime has been committed? What body or corporation do you belong to?I have absolutely no bl**dy idea what "further qualification" WGS84 actually requires for me to know it's WGS84. I have no bl**dy idea what "applicators are being targetted". What IS an applicator and WHO is targetting them? I have no idea what "advertizing" is being promoted or what message is being sent out.You are telling us:

I don't believe you have any issues here now but there are others who do and just maybe word of mouth will reach them first?

Who DOES have issues then? Where are they? What is illegal? What is the governing authority? What is the penalty? Who is cracking down? What applicators are you talking about? What definition is illegal? Why aren't you off telling those who DO have the issues this information? What advertizers are breaking what law?Maybe I'm ignorant, maybe I'm stupid, maybe I just couldn't care less.Please stop talking in circles! It seems you are determined and intent to confuse, confound and only provide limited information and vague references so as to remain illegible.GNSS if you get excited about this, well and good! Enjoy your word games, enjoy your correct terminology and punctuation. Enjoy your datums, conversions and formats, but I'm getting sick of reading it, I'm getting sick of complaints sent to us about it, I'm getting sick of stopping arguements you start about it, and I'm getting sick of deleting comments during these arguements!If you have something to say, or some sort of inside knowledge to share, then say it! Say it in full! Explain yourself properly! Get it over and done with and put an end to it!The members here do not need to be attacked for failing to provide a datum with a gps mark, or forgetting to include a decimal point or punctuation in their mark format. Likewise using an incorrect word or confusing a word (Geographic, Geodetic, Geocentric) is no crime to a bunch of recreational fishermen!It's time to cut the bullsh*t, the arguements, and the carry-on!This is about the third attempt at this same topic and arguement. I've already had to delete comments from a number of members, I've had complaints from a number of members, and if I have to delete or edit anymore posts on this subject, I will simply shut it down and remove each reference to this topic! I'm teetering on the edge of shutting this topic down right now before it goes any further, so if you'd like the chance to explain what authority is cracking down on what illegal definitions from what applicators, and what advertizers are incorrect in what place in the world, and what we are "staying tuned" for, or what go ahead you are getting from what authority, or what authority you belong to to even get a go ahead, then take this opportunity to say it now, as it may be about the last!
Good One Ranger :woohoo: You have said what myself and alot off other members have been think for a long time now . Well I know, I couldn't have put it word to expan How felt about this cramp but you have done it well . THANK YOU

Ranger...Your way with words could not be described as anything less than eloquent. It is plain to see that there is an obvious agenda here and the intention of such is completely inaudible to 99.9% of us.I could sit here and type with the sort of banalianism that is evident of previous posts but a glass of red has rendered me no longer a member of academia...I am confusing myself now.C'mon GNSS, we are not all muppets...if you want some sort of debate to occur, provide the adequate evidence to make it equitable and worthwhile for all of us. To date, nothing has been offered and no one is gaining anything.Go Ranger, go!!!

Then perhaps recreational fisherman should give navigation and associated issues away as if they don't really understand or want to understand or follow some fairly basic rules and conventions then perhaps they are putting themselves above the rest.One only has to browse the many web sites around to get a feel for a general misunderstanding that exists, yet the justification for this is nothing more than mates protecting mates who really don't understand either.Hindsight is something that nobody can defend here as hindsight has shown the total lack of understanding and confusion that exists in certain circles of the navigation community.This confusion continues today and what's more is actually condoned by most.Here is your opportunity to actually help solve what is becoming a bigger issue and very similar to what has occured in the past where today have a legacy of past mistakes.Most appear by their comments and actions to have a definant attitude and simply want to go against anything put forward and argue regardless. Generally this indicates they do not understand the issue and rely on attempted harassment to cover themselves?Early December this issue will be raised further at an international meeting with a view to preventing the current trend. All I have said to you people is, hey this has been recognized as an issue, this is an issue at all levels and if you see this type of issue then perhaps you could help out a little and correct things so we don't get a profileration of additional garbage down the track as we basically have now.Help out? No appears most prefer to hinder! My suggestion would be if you don't understand what you are dealing with then don't use it, then you can't confuse other people who will carry on your confusion.In this regard one would have expected that people who run many of these sites would actually want to help in the best interests of all users? So far not a lot of positive response but will monitor and note futher actions in this regard.

GNSS all we are asking for is a clear explanation of what you are talking about. not you putting up posts that hint at something and explain nothing and then you replying with veiled insults and still giving no information as to what the actual topic is about! you can rabbit on with all the supposed eloquence of an intellectual GPS 'expert' but all you are doing is talking in circles. If you want a debate please state clearly what we are actually debating about and give us the full scenario not just hint that you know more than anyone else but refuse to part with this information. if its supposed to be for the good of all GPS users hopefully whoever is leading this changeover parts with more information than you do otherwise there will only be one user of the new system!!

GNSS,I hope your December meeting is a roaring success and you all devise a global strategy to overcome the serious garbage problem that exists. When you have your strategy in hand - post it here.In the meanwhile, if I come across any instance of misnaming datum I'll be sure to alert the media. That might be a lot of alerts though, since I deal with this issue every working day.I'd be very pleased to see an increased level of attention applied to taxonomy as well, but there just aren't enough hours in the day.Good luck,RJ.

People regularly have the problems with the datum of the map and the GPS not being the same, meaning that grid references and your location do not correspond. In many navigation situations it doesn't matter because the difference be less than 200m but if you are trying to go to a waypoint you have set from the map or got from somebody else, it is a nice annoying hole to fall in. The GPS will tell you you are in the right spot but there is nothing there Maps either use AGD94 or ADG94 or ADG66 or WGS84 datum and I think this mainly corresponds to the age of the map except GNSS who like to use GDA94 because he is of Russian heritage and would like to see the gps system as we know it dumped and the glonass system used insteadHow do I know ?? GNSS = Global Navigation Satellite System which in fact is the Glonass system of Russian Origin

GNSS wrote:

Here is your opportunity to actually help solve what is becoming a bigger issue and very similar to what has occured in the past where today have a legacy of past mistakes............. this is an issue at all levels and if you see this type of issue then perhaps you could help out a little and correct things so we don't get a profileration of additional garbage down the track as we basically have now.Help out? No appears most prefer to hinder! In this regard one would have expected that people who run many of these sites would actually want to help in the best interests of all users?

OK, if we MUST be pedantic about this issue, I'll take the opportunity and I'll help out then! I've seen this issue myself, so I'd better point it out, correct it, and prevent the proliferation of garbage being posted out there!As pointed out by other members of this site, a fellah called GNSS recently posted this:

The only references that apply (has applied) to Australia areGDA94 (Geocentric Datum of Australia 1994) currentAGD84 (Australian Geodetic Datum 1984) oldAGD66 (Australian Geodetic Datum 1996) oldWGS84 (World Geodetic System 1984) will pass but requires further qualification about use and different versionsIn essence if you see any datum mentioned in (or associated with) Australia that does not match the above "exactly" then feel free to point this out to whoever it may be so they can basically do the right thing and get it right.This applies from the normal user right through the whole spectrum to state and national bodies.

As you are so pedantic about this issue and urging us all to assist, it is my duty now to bring this to your attention and let you know that what you have posted only causes confusion and adds to the proliferation of garbage out there! If you are going to post on GPS Datums and argue about a legacy of mistakes and a proliferation of garbage and confusion out there, at least get it right! AGD66 is Australian Geodetic Datum 1966, NOT 1996 as you state!Thank you to the members who have made contact about this misleading and arguementative post!The End!