Its been a while

Its been awhile guys .So after heading down to West lakes last Monday after work for a horror time .I headed down to the Lake this morning.Not expecting much but hoping that the fish had awoken from their sleep or breeding cycle.Was greeted by about 20 teenage girls in Skull boats all over the Bower Rd end of the lake( a distraction).So what to do I after rigging up and donning my Waders I walked across the road.And went straight in the Port River .Tied was way in and nothing was happening .I walked almost right up to the Lakes gate and was casting .When suddenly out of no where a dolphin pod appeared .After almost having a heart attack I realised it was Dolphins and not some thing else with Fins!!! Even so I moved from knee deep to ankle deep water just to be safe, I have never gotten over the movie JAWS.After a half an hour of casting for nil fish I thought perhaps the girls had finished .Heading back they had and I headed for the sea ward side of the lake.Spotting schools of small to tiny Bream .I went into my version of stealth mode .Yep I got the fish interested but only tiny tiddlers were hitting the fly.No hook ups but plenty of fish popping out the water.By now I had moved down to the beach section .And the beach was still covered in that Snot weed I have complained about .Plus the skull boats were back but it was the teenage boys this time .Not to the mention the Dragon boats and odd kayakers were out and about .So removing the snot weed from my surface fly I headed to the other side of the lake.Straight in the water and the tiddler popping continued the odd school of perhaps mullet was scooting by as well.I assume it was mullet cause if it were ST'S I would have had one on the shore .But after 2 and 1/2 hours in the Port River and West lakes with knee pain foot pain and being attacked by flying ants not to mention pods of Dolphins .I thought its been fun but time to go home.No fish but lots of popping tiddlers .cheersMick

brenton wrote:

yeah tough going in there atm Micky,there are some thumpers up the other end but fooling them isn't easy either.Heaps of very small bream and fry from this years breeding season as well,which is a good thing for 10years down the track i guess. cheers brenton

Actually that was my best day seeing Bream in months .But they were long stretches apart.Plus I did get excited seeing a school of Mullet (or whatever) kind of sensed or hoped something bigger was around .Pitty about the Port next low tide if I'm around might just flick there first ;) Biggest concern was the snot weed stuff seemed to be still very thick Sea side of the lake .I should have taken a pic it seemed to be killing the sea grass. :angry:

If the flying ants are coming around it might just be time when there's a still evening to fish around the lights with a dry fly to imitate the flying ants and see if the mullet, gar and bream are feeding on them yet. Might have to have a go one night this week.Cheers, Dave.

grubb wrote:

If the flying ants are coming around it might just be time when there's a still evening to fish around the lights with a dry fly to imitate the flying ants and see if the mullet, gar and bream are feeding on them yet. Might have to have a go one night this week.Cheers, Dave.

Was just watching the weather Thursday is supposed to be 29 perhaps that's a good night.Not sure if they are swarming but I had a few land on me and under the old hat .Plus the smallish to tiny Bream were feeding on both the surface and bottom.Surface they stopped for me just before 10am .But for me the lack of fish out past the Weed beds the bigger ones still must be sleeping :P

I went hoping to have another crack today .But overcast cold and a wind blowing in my face I decided to fight another day.Don't get me wrong I'll fish in almost gale force winds,if they can be at my back or over the shoulder .But the most important thing is the temperature and Sun neither of which were around .CheersPerhaps a twilight fish during the week