Alrighty! I'm not sure where I should be posting this but its mainly a reel question so here it is. I have been thinking a lot about a new decent combo for myself recently and after trawling through a bunch of SA fishing magazines have come across a combo I like the sound of.This guy was using a Shimano Aspire 2500 reel spooled with 6lb Berkley Fireline paired with a Starlo Stix Tournament Pro 7'3" rod.I'm looking for a rod/reel combo to flick plastics, small lures and the odd bait about. I can't see the point in spending over $500 on a reel so I'm looking for a cheaper Shimano reel that is well built and will last the distance and be good quality.I'm thinking of pairing a Shimano Stradic 2500 reel with a Starlo Stix Tournament Pro 7'3" rod.What are peoples opinions on this? Have many people used this reel or rod before?ThanksTom

Hey Tom,I havent used the reel before but i had a starlo stix tourny pro 'lite spin' and upgraded to a tcurve. Its a good rod for the money but for an extra $60 the Tcurve is waay better - its a little more stiff because its a 2-5kg and thats what i like about it. you do notice the difference in quality.ps. i have a 2000 luvias on it, just so you know :P Michael

the one i bought was $200 its a tournament tcurve, the place i bought it from still has them for $200. Its great for casting small plastics and even better when youve got a bit more weight. the tourney didnt handle stuff over 10-15 grams too well, its ok, but not as good as tcurve.i used the tcurve at st kilda on the ST's caught at least 50 in the week or so that i went and it was great - cant fault it.

My flick reel is a shimano Symetre 2500 good reel for about 130 bucks, lasted me a couple of seasons and still going strong and I havn't taken the best care of it. This reel would definitely suit your needs. I've done battle with big Salmon and carp on this reel and it didn't struggle once. But in the future I'll be definitely looking into a Stradic or Twin Power and prob go down to a 1500 instead.Don't be afraid to look at Daiwa as well, very smooth reels and pack a good punch.

SS,Stradic's in my opinion are one of the shimano reels that have barely ever faulted and are tough as nuts. There a few others that cut the mustard too, but you better off going into one of the sponsor stores and they should look after you anyway. Also from what I have heard the new model starlo stix rods are awesome for there price

not a chance sf :P id def be having a look at the shimano reels have a look at the shimano symetre range or the sanora they are both around the $130 ish mark from memory and are very god value for money smooth drags and handle some decent fish or spoil ya self and check out the shimano fireblood range i have the 2500 and would rate it as high as any reel ive ever felt and with a 7kilo drag it punches well above its weight ive caught some very respectable snapper on it and also a baracouta just over a metre long awsom reel ;)

just dont rule them out i am a big fan of shimano spin gear and they do have reels in the lower starting out bracket that can do a very good job where as daiwa seem to have 0 low price range stuff they seem to start at the mid range and by low range im talking under the ton price mark but again each to there own and to there budget ;)

Guest big lizard
anestimav wrote:

daiwa better spinning reels shimano best overheads by far but spin gear daiwa is world leader

And i totally disagree with you on the overheads.... A Calcuta against a Saltiga ???? Not even close... The Saltists are better than calcuta's, better drags, bigger internal gears and the price is $200 differance!!! Calcuta 700 $500 against $300 for a Saltists better reel for less ;)B)

Yeah this is where I get confused, I generally use an okuma abf30 with 8lb line and the reel has never failed me, never seemed as if it has struggled and put up with a whole lot of abuse and still manages to pull in fish quite well in my eyes. It only cost me $100 and is performing as well as the day I got it.So is the difference between a shimano or a daiwa really that great? I can't really fault my Okuma, just want a new reel thats smaller for spinning with braid...Can the difference really be that great?

Daiwa and shimano are rather close in quality, IMO. In most cases daiwa has better components but they have both been proven performers. The only thing shimano has is probably more price range. I love using my luvias and it was my only choice, but last weekend i also caught a fish on my $30 shimano reel i bought out of a specials bin at my local tackle store. Like someone else said, just get what ever feels best for you.

as some one has pointed out there is bugger all dif in the feel of a top of the line shimano or daiwa its a bit like holden and ford both get ya to the shop but some think they look better with one over the other but if ya not interested in looking cool then there is not a bream alive that can not be caught on a okuma jarvis walker or penn spinning reel but you dont look profesional holding this sort of equipment do ya :laugh: but you will def have more money to spend on ya next fishing trip infact you can buy a combo from big w that will catch anything you are chasing and spend ya savings actually chasing them instead of having to save up again for the trip... enjoy ya fishing fellas whatever ya fishing with :P:P:P P.S SHIMANO RULES

Guest big lizard
:laugh: @ Carps shitmano rules :silly: :P Mick i give a shit what im fishing with because i like good quality stuff, i use lures and ya cant fish properly with cheap crappy gear, don't you think i've tried lmao, seriously though Statesquider get a DAIWA... :woohoo: As for looking good? I fish @ night so who's going to see my gear??? Besides the chaps i fish with???? And they fish top end Daiwa's too!! :lol: Sharkfisho Tiagra's are poo... :P Daiwa SLT's smack "em"Get a T.D sol 2500 it will catch everything you are going to target from squid to 50lb+ mulloway...........

StateSquider. Something I was told from a tackle retailer is that for the money both are an excellent product as far as quality but they felt shimano was a little pricier due to the amount of advertising done compared to daiwa. True or not I dont know. I have only in the last couple of years started to use spin reels and was quite happy with a cheap (very cheap) shakespeare reel and an ebay special that was given to me. I then moved up to a daiwa reel given away with a fishing mag subscription and the difference was amazing. I now own a daiwa exceller a low mid range reel and that feels brilliant and I am confident that it will handle what I throw at it. If you are happy with the combo you have chosen I say go for it. Otherwise if you are concerned about the quality or how much abuse it could take buy an alvey :P:) They rock. Maybe not so good for finesse fishing though :laugh: