toothy time is here again

well its finally here again with the warmer weather comes the little toothy critters so with that said im planning the first of many all nighters in our metro waters,by boat of course.now who is willing to share their secrets -rigs-baits-rods and reels-burleys-the locations you prefer-water depths your most succesful in..to this date i remain a decent shark virgin and not through not trying i have had boats for the last 5 years and have spent many and i mean many hours trying to get a good one with no luck my biggest to date is 3 foot and that was of the beach.my usual set up is 3 rods spread one on the bottom,depending on the depths one mid way and one a couple metres down my baits normally consist of whole small bonitos-tommies-squid or carp,i use wire leader of about 3mtrs then 50lbs braid on one tynos 30 2 speed and 80lbs on the other i use a tynos 25kilo rod and a daiwa deep zone of the same weight.my berley cosista or anythiung and everything left over from fishing trips all year all mulched up through my garden mulcher(if done with frozen fish makes no mess) then mixed with tuna pellets tuna oil and frozen in paint tins with resealing lids drilling holes in these tins turns them into a good burley bucket and adding weights to the tins before freezing weather it be a brick or some lead makes a great bottom berlier.now with al that said and done still no bloody sharks so what am i missing or am i just bloody unlucky.... PLEASE TELL :):)

I'd like to be able to help Carps but I haven't really tried yet. It does make me think you've answered part of your question yourself though. The sharks seem to come in at night as they are scavengers I reckon, also there are a lot of captures over the years by ballooning off jetty's so I'm thinking they're not far out, plus we've seen one returning to sea at sun up (few hundred metres out)Big baits big fish?good luck Bill

I'd like to be able to help Carps but I haven't really tried yet. It does make me think you've answered part of your question yourself though. The sharks seem to come in at night as they are scavengers I reckon, also there are a lot of captures over the years by ballooning off jetty's so I'm thinking they're not far out, plus we've seen one returning to sea at sun up (few hundred metres out)Big baits big fish?good luck Bill

carps wrote:

NOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOWbeen trying for years am ready this sat hopefully anchor winch on to so ya can slack it out with me :laugh::laugh: il call ya later in week ;)

You virgins are always so keen! Can't do this Saturday, coz we have the Onkastomper on sunday! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: No rush though bloke! Give the water a chance to warm up a bit first. The small one's move in early in the season, and they get bigger as the season progresses.

il be out regardless honning my waiting patiantly skills and wasting more bait :) but gotta be out there to try and to be honest i want a small one to eat anyways my self and the kids love a good feed of flake ;) pm me when ya ready i can do most days with enough notice till then il keep the cherry polished :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

My tips:I balloon near the surface with a 8/0-10/0 hook on a wire trace.Livebait is preferred but any fish flesh will do.Keep a steady surface burley stream happening with plenty of oil in it to create a slick, put ya feet up, crack a coldie, and start fishing for smaller species (gar, whiting, slimeys, etc) while you wait, because this fish activity will also encourage the lil Bronzies to come snooping.Dawn and dusk are the best times, but anytime during the day is Bronzie time, and they seen to prefer the nice glassy conditions.A tail rope, a priest and a gaff are all handy lil items to have close byI only fish for the littlies to score a nice feed, so I target the lil guys between 3 and 5 foot, but don't underestimate these lil buggers. Having a skeletal system different to standard fishies, they can turn back when you are holding them by the tail and give you a nasty bite, and a green shark in ya boat is liable to do all sorts of damage, so give em an exploratory tap between the eyes before bringing them aboard, just to let them know you are the boss! ;) I've found through experience that it also pays to have Mrs Ranger aboard, as she is the shark wrangler who will just reach over the side and whip em up by the tail! :huh: As soon as they are aboard, cut them behind the head and in front of the tail to bleed them, and remove all the fins. Get the carcass onto ice for skinning and filleting back on dry land.On land remove the head and the entire gut cavity, including the belly flaps. This will look like you are removing most of the shark, and you are, but there is nothing of value to us there on these small sharks. Remove the tail. Take a fillet from each side to remove the backbone and leave you with two large fillets. Lay each fillet skin side down, and with a sharp knife skin the fillets, then cut them into portions. Shark skin is very tough and leathery, and it will blunt your knives, so use a quality knife and keep a steel on hand.Don't mess around with shark flesh. It needs to be handled properly or it'll get that nasty ammonia taste, and shark is different to fish! You were always told "fresh is best". This does NOT apply to shark! Shark flesh is best frozen for 30 days before consuming, as this will rid the flesh of any residual ammonia taste.Shark is one of my favourites. Large boneless and meaty fillets. Once ya get hooked on it, there's no turning back! ps: I discovered last season that Hammerhead tastes much better than Bronzie too, but they are a slightly smarter shark and more difficult to target...........I just happened to get lucky!

Carps, I dunno if ranger mentioned it, but on the few occasions that I have been luck enough to hook a shark, wether it be a hammer or a bronzie, a livey has been the key when the sharks are hesitant .Also I believe the Fisheries rules about not mutiting fish at sea dont apply to sharks ;) Besat with it B)Ranger wrote:

A tail rope, a priest and a gaff are all handy lil items to have close by

I almost needed a preist the other night when 13=14ft of GW slid up alongside me off Nth Haven :ohmy: :blink: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: BrentsthOz and I were trying for some early evening snapps when we had a visitor from the deep :ohmy: Awesome sight too!