ENOUGH ABOUT COCKLES (PIPIS) (COCKLEHEADS) or similar

Are you one of those people that abuses the counter jockey at BWS because Pale ale went up a dollar?? Or the petrol station cashier because you didn't buy fuel on Tuesday & now it went up!Currently, as if you didn't know, the cockle fishery is a disaster, our local diggers are having a heck of a time trying to accumulate any cockles of worth. Think about it, how much do you earn for a days work?? These guys are working in adverse conditions, thru the night (lower tides) to scratch up our staple diet for winter Whiting, more recently, only managing to scratch up 3 or 4 bags a day. This might sound like enough to most, but, 4 mens wages, a 4wd truck running 40km down a beach, freight to Adelaide, maintenance for the above, bagging expenses & a profit for the boss all have to come from this, how much is a bag worth with that in mind???To date, it is unlikely that the diggers will even reach their Fisheries enforced Quotas this year, sad part about that is next year they probably will cut them even further. Now we find ourselves in a bidding war with the Sydney food markets paying $16-$19 a kg it is not likely to improve.So, getting back to the start of this post, have you recently vented at your local tackle store? or worse, got on the phone & called all the stores just to make sure nobody is blowing dust up ya?Guy's we know it is tough to accept the humble cockle at 17 cents a throw, get over it, we certainly are. It is no secret that not many stores have any at all, be thankful that those stores with cockles are limiting supply so everybody gets a go.Our digger is trying to bring some in from overseas in an attempt to have some for winter, no guarantees. Anyhow, enough stated, at $8 a kg they are still good bait, but for how long? Finatic

hey finatic it's about time someone spoke up. I've been on both sides of the counter when it comes to cockles or pipis. I like cockles when i'm targeting whiting.When they are $7 to $10 a kg i will be very carefull how i use them now.You cant blame the bloke behind the counter... ( he doesn't set the price)You cant blame the cockle diggers/ suppliers ( their prices are governed by quotas, fees and availability.)If you like cockles and want to use them..... expect to pay $10 a kg from now onIf you dont want to pay $10 a kg, try another bait because cockles will never go down in price again.

i'm not angry with tackle stores passing the buck. but it really pisses me off when you see a resourse decine like they have. i remember as a kid going down to the mouth every year with dad and we would catch a bag of cockles within a few mins. i also remember when the pro's started to harvest them for the asian market. oh well i geuss it's like every other resource that gets raped.COCKLES ARE FISH FOOD NOT PEOPLE FOOD. {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif

Whats wrong with eating cockles I love them,,,I use prawns for bait also and eat them as well.Most of our baits are eating products,squid,cockles,pilchards,tommies,mullet list goes on..Same problem occurs with our pillys they get cleaned out and we rely on indo's or whatever because our kingfish, tuna etc farms get most of them.Every industry tries to make a buck regardless and not every resource is sustainable forever, it will all come back to bite us in the ass eventually.An increase in price may actually save them with less demand due to this fact...[i feel for the loss of jobs because of it but I was retrenched also ,thats life]

Whats wrong with eating cockles I love them,,,I use prawns for bait also and eat them as well.Most of our baits are eating products,squid,cockles,pilchards,tommies,mullet list goes on

Ahhh, a man after my own heart! ;DPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageIn fact, I might even put a recipe up here later!The only thing that really annoys me, is that they've now been renamed, and we're s'posed to call them Pippies! In fact, that's something REALLY important I wanna talk about! Since Tommy Ruffs have dissappeared from our waters here in SA, we now have great catches of "Australian Herring" to replace them! Pfft to that! Seems our much loved Goowla Cockles are also no more, and we now have [self-censored] "pipi's" instead! :ohttp://www.pir.sa.gov.au/fisheries/recr ... al_lengths Quote: Goolwa cockles - see pipis Goolwa cockles are now known as Pipis. For catch limits please see information listed under pipis. I wonder if they're now called "Goolwa Pipis?" >:(I'm old and wrinkly, and I want my [self-censored] cockles back, and I want to use them to catch [self-censored] Tommies again! {SMILIES_PATH}/angry.gif:(" title="Angry" />I thought we used latin names (Donax deltoides) for global standardisation, because local names differ, and also so that local names could STILL be used. I don't wanna follow the Victorians and use the same name they do! I don't wanna go to a restaurant and order a plate of [self-censored] PIPIS! Bring me my [self-censored] COCKLES waiter, and jam ya PIPIS where they fit!!!They are COCKLES! I know they're COCKLES, coz I go to Goolwa and collect them! GOOLWA COCKLES!Right! Whinge over! You may now resume your normal programming, while Ranger takes a few deep breathes, centres his chakras, released his chi energy, and phones his therapist for an extended consultation! {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gif
Guest Butters

{SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif Well said ranger.. I bet your glad to get that off your chest.. {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gifIs that sweet Chilli COCKLES your cookin up there??

Chili Garlic Cockles actually bloke! Very fast, very simple and very tasty. Once I've gotten used to this site, I'll stick the recipe up, and maybe on one social gathering or another, I'll even start a bit of a cook up, so's ya can all have a taste! THEN you'll all know why the Whiting luvs em so much!I might even hit up that "Finatic" guy to supply the cockles, so's I don't have to get my feet wet! Then again, maybe I'll go to Salisbury Tackleworld instead and buy some, coz that guy recons his a pretty fresh! {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gifI've done a fair bit of travelling, and I've eaten all sorts of crap in my time! I've learn not to judge things on pre-conceived notions, but to actually TRY them first before making a decision. cockles are by far one of the more palatable things to have slid down my gullet.Actually, I'm pretty new here, are we actually allowed to say things like "[self-censored]" or "bl**dy" here? Or is that frowned upon?

I've done a fair bit of travelling, and I've eaten all sorts of crap in my time! I've learn not to judge things on pre-conceived notions, but to actually TRY them first before making a decision. cockles are by far one of the more palatable things to have slid down my gullet.Actually, I'm pretty new here, are we actually allowed to say things like "[self-censored]" or "bl**dy" here? Or is that frowned upon?

What we are frowning about is that Avatar {SMILIES_PATH}/rolleyes.gif and sure you can say(self censored) if you like but just don,t say bum that will get you in all kinds of strife {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gif cheers brentonAtt MODS there is an unsavory character lurking around the boards {SMILIES_PATH}/shocked.gif

Att MODS there is an unsavory character lurking around the boards {SMILIES_PATH}/shocked.gif

And the fishermen came to know him by the name of...........................BRENTON! {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gifAnd I've changed my mind! You are NOT the chosen one, if you're gonna pic on MY avatar! {SMILIES_PATH}/cry.gifGeez, a good honest pirate comes in here, and already I have to suffer these age old prejudices! I just wanted to earn a decent living through raping, pillaging and plundering. After all, I have a family and a boat to support! .........................bum! {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif

so will the goolwa cockle train now be called the goolwa pipi train ? .just dosent have the same ribg about it

The "Pipi Express" maybe? Pipi dancing? Pipi purging? It just get's sadder and sadder! Personally, I blame the Victorians, why couldn't THEY have adopted OUR name for the things? {SMILIES_PATH}/cry.gifThen again, if we use the PROPER name, it becomes the "Goolwa Deltoides Train" and "Donax Dancing!" {SMILIES_PATH}/shocked.gif I recon I'm gonna go and slap myself with a dead fish. I just hope I can remember what it's current name is while I'm doing it! {SMILIES_PATH}/cry.gif
Guest Butters

Actually, I'm pretty new here, are we actually allowed to say things like "[self-censored]" or "bl**dy" here? Or is that frowned upon?

You can get away with most words.. ass, shitty, but not fuck {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gifPretty relaxed i reckon {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif
Guest dabilda

so will the goolwa cockle train now be called the goolwa pipi train [/color:1aht48sd] ? .just dosent have the same ribg about it cheers squidley

hmmmmmmm.............. sounds like a mobile public toilet {SMILIES_PATH}/undecided.gifDaBilda

Actually, I'm pretty new here, are we actually allowed to say things like "[self-censored]" or "bl**dy" here? Or is that frowned upon?

You can get away with most words.. ass, shitty, but not (Censored) {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gifPretty relaxed i reckon {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif
Ahhh, how refreshing and welcoming to the cockles of my heart! I aint looking to push the limits, but I AM looking forward to getting "bl**dy, bugger and damn" back into my vocabulary! I think I'm gonna bl**dy like it here! And I promise not to say (censored)! {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif

hmmmmmmm.............. sounds like a mobile public toilet :-\

Exactly mate! As was recently described to me "a peepee is a bodily function" NOT a mollusc or bi-valve! {SMILIES_PATH}/angry.gif:(" title="Angry" />It's a bit like romper room in here isn't it? When I look through the magic circle I can see so many people I already know! How is ya bloke? {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif

hey welcome ranger and thanks for your input already!Yes we are pretty relaxed here.Freedom of speech is important to us all and that is why we get on forums.Try not too swear too much as sometimes we have some young folk on here.I think you still say shit, poo, crap and bloody when ever you want.But words like fuck and cunt are definately not allowed but we all can fill in the blanks if we need to.very little rules here.Treat people as you would like to be treated by them

we are pretty relaxed here.Freedom of speech is important to us all and that is why we get on forums.Try not too swear too much as sometimes we have some young folk on here.I think you still say shit, poo, crap and bloody when ever you want.But words like (Censored) and (Censored) are definately not allowed but we all can fill in the blanks if we need to.very little rules here.Treat people as you would like to be treated by them

I accept those terms and conditions, now just show me where to sign! {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gifOh, and when do I get my key to the members drinks cabinet? {SMILIES_PATH}/undecided.gif

Ranger, it would be remiss of me not to mention that Mrs Ranger contributed 75% of that esky of COCKLES, don't ya think..?? {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gifSeriously folks, Mrs Ranger is a GUN COCKLER with a superb work ethic. She is onto a stray COCKLE like a seagull on a chip! {SMILIES_PATH}/shocked.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gifCheers,GH

Finatic, it's too late! It seems half the members here ARE from those other places! Don't worry too much though, coz these are "good guys" who're interested in fishing! Ya may well find an influx of members may be on the way here soon though!I've actually been a mamber here for quite some time (since we first discussed the site) but I just haven't been posting here, coz I've had too many sites to check in on, and not enough hours in the day.Goat herder, you have this all wrong! Ya see, Mr & Mrs Ranger are a team! Mrs Ranger handles production, and Mr Ranger tackles the difficult tasks of: quality control, research & development, occupational health welfare & safety! ;)Product testing is the area where I really excel though! {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gifHere's Mr Ranger doing all the work AGAIN!Posted ImageWhile Mrs Ranger wallows around and plays in the surf!Posted Image{SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif

Ahhh, my apologies.. It takes a special kind of person to deal with the beaurocratic red-tape side of cockle production.. {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif Don't forget you are also the 'chauffeur'.. {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gifI reckon the pic says it all. Mrs Ranger hard at work, and Mr Ranger behind the lens! {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif "Ahhh, hard work... I could sit and watch it for hours..".. {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gifCheers,GH

• 2 weeks later...

Yeh, I also saw a pint of cockles being sold for $12.00 today. I was told the reason behind this was that a sack of cockles had gone up again. $150.00 a 20kg sack. Can this be true?Shortly after I saw a bloke come in and part with $44.00 for a so called large bag of cockles and he didn?t even flinch. ??? :oI?m sure this same bag two year ago would have been no more than $12.00. >:(This price hike I assume will only mean more 4wd traffic along Goolwa beach and even more pressure on our Goolwa cockle stocks. One can only presume a snow balling effect will occur, with even more pressure from rec fishers targeting other alternative King George whiting baits such as our mud cockles, squid, cuttlefish, and worm stocks.I fear the good times are fast coming to an end. >:( >:( :'(Unfortunately Goolwa cockles in recreational fishing boats, might become a thing of the past. >:({SMILIES_PATH}/angry.gif:(" title="Angry" /> {SMILIES_PATH}/cry.gifpippied offniftrev[/color:2jjzk353]

Its only gonna get worse until NOVEMBER at least. It is true that stores are paying around $150 for 20kgs. There are many reasons already discussed which are contributing to this. Unfortunately there is onlt one bit of advice for those struggling to come to terms with the current situation, GET USED TO IT or USE SQUID! {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gifseriously though with the number of anglers whinging to me daily i feel like doing a backflip when someone buys a packet of Gulp instead!ps Got 12 KGs on Berkley Camo Worms the other day and it was DEAD EASY, Get on it!!!

Yet I've got friends raving about how good the cockling is down at Goolwa at the moment! {SMILIES_PATH}/huh.gif

took the rugrat's to Goolwa yesterday. Glad to see the cockles are still plentiful.We grabbed a 10 litre bucket full in a 2 hour session. The water was quite warm too

we got a heap too. Towards high tide they came up thick. At nearly $10 a kilo and going up it's worth the trip.

I was really surprised how many we were getting. We were just about to pull the pin and shifted a bit deeper when 'bang' we were grabbing a handfull each time.

What gives? We're told they're in short supply and there's none around down at Goolwa at the moment, yet the guys down there hunting for them are saying they're plentiful?Are the's pro now capitalizing, and misinforming us?

It appears this post has certainly stirred up a hornets nest. Leaving us doubting, are we being shafted by the scratchers, have they combined their efforts to keep us at bay while they reap fresh food market prices, is there really a shortage or are our local stores conspiring to drive up prices. All of these may be true, but quite simply think of it like this. Tackle stores are money machines, they buy stock with money, they sell the stock & get their money back, so everytime a popular product becomes obsolete or hard to get, the store suffers. IF THE COCKLES WERE AVAILABLE TO BUY, WE WOULD HAVE THEM. In the past we have stockpiled 4-5 pallets of cockles for the closed season, this year, there will be no stockpiling, be grateful that at least 1 of the cockle harvesters is looking outside the square & trying to keep up supply, ALAH CHOCOLATE COCKLE. As best we know, Yorke stores have little or none, this already is seeing people drive from Yorkes to town to buy cockles, further stressing supply. Many local stores have little or none & it is not going to get any better yet, just understand we are doing everything possible to ensure there are some for everyone. Oh, don't be offended if you cannot buy a sack, just think this post thru. Some cockles for everybody keeps the money machine running. Finatic

I don't think anyone's pointing the finger at tacklestores! We all realise they're currently in short supply within the industry, and we accept this!Gotta admit though, after hearing all the stories about cockles going interstate, going overseas to the seafood industry, and the huge export market developing for tablefare:

are we being shafted by the scratchers, have they combined their efforts to keep us at bay while they reap fresh food market prices,
this thought certainly crossed my own mind on more than one occasion!Alas, there aint diddlysquat we can do about it anyway, so mebbe just give em the benefit of the doubt, accept that the season finished early, and hope that next season turns out to be a bumper, for all our sakes!I just wonder though, now that prices are up, even should a good crop appear next year, are they willing to take a cut now and revert the prices to that which they once were, or will we forever be paying "tablefare" prices?Coz I gotta admit, if I were Mr Cockleman, and I had a choice of selling to the bait market for a reduced rate, or the seafood market for a premium rate, it wouldn't take ME too long to decide which way to turn!