alternative to cockles

I wonder if anyone here has used the humble mussel as bait or burley. I have used crushed mussels successfully as burley for snapper but have never used them as bait for whiting or other species. The most up to date info i have been able to google up says that FARM GATE prices the producers are getting for mussels is only $2-3 per kilo [dont't know what retail price that would equate to]. Wonder if there isn't maybe a bit of a market there for mussels even only as bait given the ever rising price of cockles/pipi's. What do other members think. Are they a good bait and berley alternative to cockles.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest big lizard

Try the new Dyna bait freeze dried tube worms, don't judge what they look like , i have used them along with a couple of the chaps i work with @ Tackle World O'halloran Hill..... Caught heaps on them, even got a mulloway on them yesterday arvo.... Cheers BL

• 2 months later...

Just passing on info I read earlier today 'bout using mussels. Drop them in a bucket of warm water and slightly cook them which apparently hardens them up and easier to use. The author (and of course I've forgotten who and where) claims it works a treat.B@K

Hey could be a silly question but where can you find those SP gents? I've been looking everywhere for a while now. Just handy to have when you can't get to a tackle shop and spur of the moment fishing. Gents are always cool to buy though, cost bugger all and last forever... Always get at least to trips with them. Generally 6 weeks plus in the fridge :)

statesquider wrote:

Hey could be a silly question but where can you find those SP gents? I've been looking everywhere for a while now. Just handy to have when you can't get to a tackle shop and spur of the moment fishing. Gents are always cool to buy though, cost bugger all and last forever... Always get at least to trips with them. Generally 6 weeks plus in the fridge :)

Now Aaron produces lovely gents why would you want the sp 1"s

im assuming you guys mean theses things , :( ,,,,i got mine in big W ,,, cant remember how much they were,, :S ,,,, ive never used them yet waiting for whiting season to start , ;) ,,,, will also try them on gar but there are so many striped perch here at the moment i wont waist them, :P ,they smell and feel like the real thing :unsure: ,,, cheers freddyboy Posted Image

untitled-20100212.JPG

Aaron does make lovely gents as I described :) I use no other! But... I do a lot of random, spur of the moment fishing and don't always have time to grab gents or occasionally forget and having a "backup" supply in the tackle box would be cool :)Freddyboy those are the ones I'm looking for! I'll keep sniffing around big W...If i fished more often I could probably just use Sheldon's gents but sometimes they are not in the fridge or the missus throws them out when she finds them :) Does anyone else get as long as I do out of them? Longest i've had so far was 2 months and only lost 1/4 of them...