i have been on the hunt today and keep getting the same answer WWE ARE OUT OF 5 LTR TUNA OILS AND THERE NOT MAKING THE 5LTR AT THE MOMENT COS THEY FEAR THEY WILL RUN OUT is this true can any of our sponsors help me out and is it possible to get it in bulk like say 20ltr or bigger ...

Carps, we have 100% tuna oil, was fortunate enough to stitch up a deal & secured 400litres from Port Lincoln recently, when its gone its gone, don't be fooled by labels suggesting the same coz it simply is not available. If you see "Tuna Oil" in bottles & it has distinct layers of different colours in it, beware coz "Oils ain't Oils" most are blends. You could be about to pay $15 or more a litre for Vegetable oil, Canola oil or whatever else they can find cheap to fill the bottle.Even Neptune branded Tuna oil, which has for years been 100% is now no longer Tuna oil, at least they tell you that though, it's now called Fish oil.Similar story to the "Cockle" thing, somebody else is prepared to pay a whole lot more for the raw product than what the fishos will, so, nil supply to the tackle trade. The health food companies are paying in some cases $30 per litre to sell you fish oil over the counter, Omega 3 at its best.Finatic

Mine does that. Runny on the top layer, a little bit thicker in the middle layer and a thick layer of sludge on the bottom. To mix it back up it needs a really good shake... I've never bothered to look for decent oil before, I just thought it was all the same.Glad this topic was brought up or i'd keep buying cr*p oil. Now searching for a bigger one...

• 10 years later...
3 hours ago, keenfisho said:

There used to be a guy in the industrial estate at Parafield around the corner from the old no air and ROH wheels factories that sold in bulk, not sure if they are still there but work a look

Yes, they are still there - i see his sign up all the time around there.

Never bought any from him - i stocked up on a lot before the dorsalfin shut down a couple of years ago.Although may need some later in the year!

13 hours ago, Mjadeb1984 said:

Has anybody used fish sauce. It’s water soluble so goes down through the water column and works quite well. I’ve had pretty good luck using it. 

That makes a lot of sense! I will try that.

Oil floats. Great for Garfish. But for other fish on the bottom it needs to be soaked into pellets that sink and release it from the bottom.

Any particular brand you use? Any bulk buys?

I am looking to attract fish into an are before throwing lures at them 😉

Cheers, Des

Have any of you guys seen the nitro burley mix from how's ya tackle?

I picked up a bag of it and will give it a try on the weekend. Apparently it's full of stimulants and pheromones and when it goes in the water, releases a green substance so you can see where your burley is going.

I'm not sure if it's just a gimic or really works - will test it over a couple of sessions 😊 If it doesn't do the job, i'll add some tuna oil to the mix 😂😂 

22 hours ago, Des said:

That makes a lot of sense! I will try that.

Oil floats. Great for Garfish. But for other fish on the bottom it needs to be soaked into pellets that sink and release it from the bottom.

Any particular brand you use? Any bulk buys?

I am looking to attract fish into an are before throwing lures at them 😉

Cheers, Des

To be honest Des, you make a very handy point. 

Oil isn't soluble in water, and fish smell what is in the water by passing water through their Nair's (nasal holes). So really, while we all pump out tuna oil enriched Burley, it's likely that unless fish happen to swim directly into the feed, they will only very faintly or not smell it at all. 

I do believe it works when soaked into other Burley stuffs, but really, tuna oil may just be one of the more overutilisef things in fishing imo. 

Better off using bloods and such, hence why "bloody" fish like Aus salmon seem to be such a productive bait.