"Techni ice" ice boxes

Hey,Dunno how many people took a look at the techni ice catalogue in todays advertiser, seems like theres some pretty good deals. Just wanted to know what people think of them..they seem to get good reviews on other forums.More importantly though, im seriously thinking about getting one cos i dont have a bigger size ice box. Im undecided over the 60, 70 or even 80 ltr. What size do you guys think is sufficient? The 70 ltr is looking good, mostly because its made to be longer rather than deeper.Anyway, if you care to look here is the link or just suggest a size.Cheers for the input (If there is any ;) )http://www.techniice.com/english/iceboxes.asp

Had mine up for sale not long ago but it's only a small one 18 ltr.Than I thought, moron ! With a Techni ice box you don't need ice if you have the bubble packs.So am keeping it.Now you need to decide which size to get, they are not exactly cheap but if you look after it, you'll have it fore life,if you store fish in it , wrap the bubble packs in a plastic bag and they won't stink the fridge out :) Also if you keep the bubble packs in the freezeryou'll never have to run around to get ice blocks or bags.

I know, thats my dilemma. The 80 ltr is $10 cheaper but i like the shape (length) of the 70ltr.Maybe im just being fussy and i prob sound like a dick cos i cant decide on a size..ahh, maybe ill go look at some sizes at the shop then choose one of the two. its hard to get a feel for it on the computer

What fish do you target? There's quite a big difference between 700 and 900mm.If you fish for species such as Snook, Snapper and other longer fish, the longer esky would surely be more suitable. Whereas if you fish for Whiting, Gar and Tommies you dont need the extra length. If you're pushed for space or need to fit it onto the boat, measure up the area you have available to house or transport the thing and go with that.

Ranger, as always you make good sense in your response. The problem is i dont own a boat but i intend to in the next 12 months and i will (hopefully) be targeting some snapper etc. as well as whiting, squid and gar which i get at the moment. I will be going to moonta around christmas so ill need a decent box to hold food etc etc, so it'll be multi-purpose but mostly fishing.I guess im not really sure what i want but theyre on special so i wouldnt mind getting one.

Hey Mick013. As Sandy said we have a couple and think for the price compared to others they are just as good. I am actually thinking of gettin another. They have a pack with a 40l 70l and a 12l which is the way I will go. (Other brands cost more than this for a single esky) Myself would go the 70 purely for a fishing esky. My bro in law also has a 70l and is wrapped with his. Good luck and no matter what way you go You wont be disappointed. Oh btw choosing a lighter colour is the way to go though. I currently use the 60l as a seat in the boat and it can get a bit warm on the bum :laugh:

i have a 90litre Kookaburra ice chest. it keeps beer cold with MANY opens for a very long time. we used it for our last trip away and after 5 days still icey cold in there.it fits across the back of the Jackaroo perfectly!Im more interested in the ICE bricks they are selling. I see a few peopel have them? are they THAT great?? and if so.. is anyone else after some.. might as well combine and save a bit of cash???

Mick013 wrote:

Just on a side note, has anyone got theirs from ebay? There seems to be HEAPS of them on ebay and theyre going for nearly half the price of buying direct. although i did notice that in the pics of the 70L it didnt have the rope that holds the lid in the open position.

couple of slf tappers, and a bit of rope and problem solved.

so... the ICE PACKS... any first hand experiences?? it sounds like it will keep the meat esky cold enough..but will it keep the BEER cold enough?? as want to replace the ICE in the beer esky with these so we can also use it for fish storage for our weekend camping/snapper trip coming up.

if you look up techni ice on google you get tonnes of links to forums about the ice packs. some people reckon theyre the bees knees others say theyre crap...it seems that if you want them for fishing you need to protect them as they get punctured by fins etc a good suggestion was to put them under the ice itself..but i dont even have an esky let alone the ice packs :D thats just what ive read.

lol just re read my post.. sounds kinda pushy... dam that del bastard... Anyone who has fished with me and softy.. knows we enjoy a cold one hehehehhe basically trying to replace the ice in the big 92 litre esky with these packs so we can store fish in there too with out it getting sloppy wet in there. but it must KEEP TEH BEER ICE COLD!!! :D

I bought a 70lt Big Chilli Ice Box on ebay a few years ago and think it is one of the best investments I have made. I paid $130 for it including frieght, and as an example, I took it to salt creek (as I always do) a few weeks ago when the temps were in the 40's and with two bags of ice I was able to keep cold 18 bottles of beer, nearly 4 kilos of frozen bait and food for the trip for the entire 3 days I was there. I left Adelaide on the saturday arvo and left salty late on the tuesday arvo and there was a half bag of ice still solid in the ice box. Beers were still cold along with food and some of the bait was very much on the solid side. These boxes are a very good investment. They are all made with the same materials so it becomes just a matter of personal choice on which brand you want to buy. I did put a third stainless steel catch on it just as a personal thing and you can always prolong the life of the ice by using a wet towel draped over the box and always keeping it in a shady and air rated position. I have not used the bubble packs but I might look into them. I have used 2lt cottees cordail bottles filled with frozen water and these act like block ice, but they take up some room. On the plus side , when they become unfrozen you have 2lt's of fresh water. Buy yourself one, you will not be dissappointed ;)

Surf_94 wrote:

.....woops sorry about the double post.. I honestly don't know where to buy block ice these days, and the 2lt's of fresh water has come in very handy on a few of occasions.

ice cream containers make great block ice as well...freeze em, and if you wish.hit em with a hammer to make smaller chunks.
rocknev wrote:

Surf_94 wrote:

.....woops sorry about the double post.. I honestly don't know where to buy block ice these days, and the 2lt's of fresh water has come in very handy on a few of occasions.

ice cream containers make great block ice as well...freeze em, and if you wish.hit em with a hammer to make smaller chunks.
Yep that and coke bottles is the go...Cordial bottles too

mick ive got a 100 ltr one of these eskies not same brand but same same if you ask me ive had 5 cartons of beer + ice for a week in mine and at the end of the week the bottom layer of beer was actually frozen into a ice block in the eski they are the best but i wish i had gone a longer one not so square as any decent size fish cannot be laid flat and take up a lot more room than they should i also have a 60tlr one witch is solely used for bait and fish this will hold a slurry for a whole day in the sun opening and closing all day to add fish to mind you this one is white and my bigger one is dark blue i wish both were white..good luck and enjoy the hunt