Fresh Chilli/Garlic Goolwa Cockles

A lot of talk about cockles at the moment, so I thought I'd bung this one up. Really simple, and very tasty! If ya haven't tried cockles before, this one might just convert ya!The really important part is to make sure your cockles are properly purged, or it's gonna be like chewing on a sand pit!Stick em into fresh clean seawater, in an esky or container, but on a rack to suspend them up off the bottom. Alternatively, stick em in an onion bag suspended up off the bottom.Leave them in a cool place for around 18 hours to spit out all the sand!Posted ImageThe only other ingredients you'll need is some finely chopped chilli, some finely chopped garlic, and a coupla spoons of asian chilli/garlic sauce (available at any good supermarket these days). Add these ingredients to suit ya own taste, as much or as little as YOU like!Posted ImageHeat a wok or similar container with a lid, and throw in the fresh chilli and garlic, until it releases it's fragrancePosted Imagethen chuck in the cockles and give it a quick stir!Posted ImageAdd a coupla spoons of the chili/garlic saucePosted Imageand stir again!Posted ImagePop the lid on for a coupla minutes, to allow the cockles to steam and openPosted ImageAnd there ya have it!Posted ImageIt's a self saucing finger food once the cockles are opened!Posted ImageJust remember to discard any unopened cockles!I was never too keen on cockles until I tried this one............now I'm addicted!!! {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gifGive it a whirl and let me know what ya think! {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif

• 2 months later...

hey ranger , you must of won the lottery thats about $3000 worth of cockles right there , ohh the humanity what are the KG's gonna eat now !!! . In all seriousness ive never eaten cockles , your recipe lends itself to a pasta dish , once opened shuck and mix with a nice olive oil and some hot pasta ....... off topic whats the deal on diggin for them is that still alowed and what are the best times and locationscheers burlz

We do a few pasta dishes as well. I've got a recipe here for a good cockle fetuccine I'll hunt down and post sometime! Mebbe next cockle season!The season is over now, so you'll have to wait till November to have a go, and there aint no secret to it! Just a matter of heading on down to Goolwa, and wallowing around in the surf like a beached walrus, while digging away on ya hands and knees.Mebbe one day in the warmer months we could all organise a day down there!Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Guest undertaker

Easy to tell that you have an Asian missus Ranger..........Father - in - law has tha "same model"..........tried a similar dish as the one you have described..........mmmmmmmm,to die for.Oh well,more work for me!

Book us in for dinner in Novermber mate. ;DSounds delicious. I love cockles.When I was a kid, we used to go floundering at Dutton Bay. We would get there early and collect mud cockles for a few hours first, to keep our bait stocks up.The problem was, I would eat more than I put in the bucket lol.

Easy to tell that you have an Asian missus Ranger

Well I'll be buggered! IS THAT WHAT IT IS? I hadn't noticed before, but now that ya come to mention it, YEAH, there is somethin a lil different about her!The Chinese do make em smaller and cheaper! They still whinge as much though! ;D
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Now to top it off' date=' if I can convince just one adventurous soul to join me:[img']http://unclestinky.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/mousewine.jpg[/img]Nah, you're all a little bit on the pussy cat side! :whistle:

hahahhahahahahhahaha that bottle still unopened in your cabinet? was no chance.. even after a bottle of jamesons.. a bottle of johny.. and how ever many beers we had prior.. that i was eating one of them bloody mice!!

hahahhahahahahhahaha that bottle still unopened in your cabinet? was no chance.. even after a bottle of jamesons.. a bottle of johny.. and how ever many beers we had prior.. that i was eating one of them bloody mice!!

No Del, there's actually TWO of them bottles sitting unopened in my cabinet!Seems none of you fishermen have the stomach of the truly dedicated hunter! We would NEVER drink a bottle of Jameson, a bottle of JW and a few beers for good measure....geez, ya could get slightly intoximacated doing that! :whistle:
  • 2 weeks later...

I dont actually go anymore! :( Since the limit was dropped to 300 per person, with just me and the missus, no kids to help, I cant really justify a run down there and back in the fourby for a maximum of 600. I'll just buy em prepurged now if I wanna eat em, and it'll work out cheaper.