recomended light SP reel?

Hi allFor a while I had an all-purpose reel + rod combo - running a Shimano Sienna 4000 with 6lb braid and a fibreglass rod.Xmas saw me pool the fam + girlfriend to score me a 2-5kg T-curve. So I'm set for the rod.Now its 2 weeks from the birthday, looking to pull the same trick and get a reel thats more suited to spinning light SPs and hardbodies.I've loved the Sienna - would I be wanting the 2500 size? Or go to the 1000? Any others be worth looking at??Any input more experience players could throw my way would help.Almost all my fishing is spinning for bream, redfin, trout and the like. Would be looking at keeping it in a reasonable price range - around the 130 mark??Cheers

I guess a few questions I should ask....I've had heaps of trouble with tangles and the like from casting. Using ultra thin 6lb braid - is this caused by the 4000 reel? Is the 4000 overkill for the species I chase??Not replacing for the sake of it - don't have another good reel, and the old man and myself are heading off with a bunch of fellas in a few months, so would be good if we were both kitted up with decent stuff.

I have a Shimano Saros in the 2500 size, these are around the $170 mark depending where you shop,I found them to cast great, lay the line/braid very nicely on the spool (comes with a spare spool) & is realy smooth to use, i wouldn't hesitate in getting another, (pause to look over the shoulder, "missus check")) infact I'm pretty sure I need to replace my 4000 with one soon :laugh :laugh::laugh: : Yorky

Hey mate, with my light set up I am rolling with a shimano alivio 2500 reel with 8 pound mono on it. I love the combo to be honest. the only thing about it is it definatly needs braid on it. I have found with the mono that it doesn't cast out to well. I would recommend this reel to anyone to be honest. But like I said braid it up. B) -Ty

$130..hhmmm, if you could take it out to $200 you could get some real quality !I went through the same thing a while back and ended up spending the extra bucks for a caldia kix 2004. Awesome reel and it's slayed some great fish. I'm in the same boat ( rod for xmas reel for bday in a couple of weeks ) and went for the 2500 sol as I wanted an all rounder. I had a few things in mind though.I wanted it to be able to thorw small plastics around for redfin, bream and the like but I also wanted it to be able to handle some decent snapper. With 7kg worth of drag, I knew this was never going to be a problem.I guess just have a look and do some research as you'll be using it for a long time and want to be happy. It may work out to spend those few extra bucks if it means better quality components.Good luck mate and hop you get what your after!

I would say go for a 2500 size reel. The 4000 is definitely overkill when fishing with 6 pound line. I would avoid the 1000 size reels because there isn't enough line capacity when using 6 pound line, not that you need it for casting distance or fish taking huge runs, but in the unfortunate event that you have a line mishap while out on the water and have to cut back some of the spool, the extra line capacity will allow you to continue fishing and still be able to cast reasonably well.As far as reel brands, if you're happy with your current Shimano then stick with them and just get the one that fits into your price range, I'm not sure what stuff is selling for these days but the Symmetre line is real nice. I haven't used one, but I've played around with the Daiwa Exceller in the shop and they seem a good reel for the price. It's hard to go wrong with small threadlines from either company, I've owned and used many different reels from both companies over the years, some I've loved and some I've absolutely hated.

I'm with Del & softy, would agree with Bundy I'm sure, but havent used or played with a DA yet. Hard to beat an exceller for value I reckon. I have three in fact.I would also look at a 2000 - 2500 size in the diawa, shimano sizing is a little different so check these, but the larger diameter spool of the larger size reels will undoubtedly aid in casting distance with the lighter lures.

I've got a Shimano Exage 2500 that I got a couple of years ago for a bit over $100 and I'm very pleased with it.I've also got a Diawa TD Sol 2000 which is a bloody nice reel to use, but a bit more expensive (around $300 I think).I'm happy with the Shimano though. I just looked through some current catalogue, a Shimano Symetre 2500 will take about 140yd of 8lb and cost around $150. Can't really go wrong I reckon.Good luck with it.

Yet another exceler da fan. Got a 2500. I even rang the Australian daiwa rep as I was thinking of going a model or 2 up in the range but was told that the exceler is really in the sweet spot as far as performance and features vs cost. Too many decisions to make when looking for new fishing gear, but its better than christmas when you have a new piece of fishing gear in ya hot little hands.Good luck with it

i have all sorts and love my shimanos and for the price symetre is a bloody good reel no matter what you spend mate you can always get better if you spend more so remember ya budget get into the shops and have a play,speak to the blokes behind the counter and avoid K mart-B.C.F and the likes unless you know exactly what ya after and what they are worth.oh yea GO SHIMANO :P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:)

As the mud monster (carps :P ) said go into your local tackle shop or even better one of the sponsor stores, let them know what you are after and how much your willing to spend to get a idea. also while having a play with the reels, ask them if you can try the reel on a t curve, then you can get a real feel of the weight and balance of the combo and then you will know what you will be happy with. As for size I wouldnt go any bigger then 2500, personally I prefer 1000 reels for luring for bream, reddies etc, but in saying that from playing with a few t curves I think a 2000 size would match up nicely, but someone with a tcurve may be able to shed a bit more light on what they find is better, but then again everyones preferences and opinions vary. As you are chasing mainly smaller species I dont think you will require a huge line capacity. I think, as a few have said, the shimano symetre would do the job nicely for you. And you will be suprised the size of some fish you can subdue with this size reel if you put them to the test. And the symetre should be around the money your looking at spending. Good luckLee

I prefer the 1000 size reels as well, got 3 of em.In regards to theyre spool capacities i never fill them right up i just top shot 150m spools of braid onto them with quite a bit of mono backing. With some of the extremely thin braids on the market these days i have no doubt that you will be able to fit more than enough 6 pound braid on a 1000. Saying that tho i wouldnt use em for chasin snapper offshore or big mullies on lure and would def prefer a 2500 size or 4000 for this sort of work. HTH mate

Just love my little 2500 Shimano Slade on my Shimano Raider. :P I fish twice a week every week in fresh and lately salt and the 54 bucks I laid out on it has been more than re paid in fun, fish and utter reliability. Had the reel about 8 months now and haven't stripped/cleaned it once, it never misses a beat and has anti twist rollers which keep the Rovex 10 lb braid under tight control, if I said I'd had more than 4 or 5 small wind knots in it during the time I've owned it,I would be telling lies :woohoo: The 2500 size spool has the added advantage of a faster retreive which is not to be sneezed at at all ;) When she eventually dies I will let her rest in peace and be straight out to get another 50 bucks worth :woohoo:

If you want a really good soft plastic reel i would say a Shimano, Diawa or a Pfleuger reel would be the way to go. Go for a 2500 reel as ive heard that really small reels like the 1000 size can have alot of line problems if your not used to using braided lines. Spool it up with 4Ib braid and you should have a well balanced outfit. :)

• 2 weeks later...

hi all ive been using 1000 to 1500 size reels for most local species prety hard for the last 5 to 6 years and have always stuck with shimano.Ive just retired an1500 exage rear drag that has been to hell and back over the last 2 years!!!!!!!! i ran it with 2 kg nitlon braid and only in the last few sessions has the wear in the oscilator drive and line roller become noticable with a few tangles from the extra twist.So ( thanks kym ( i think ))i picked up the twin power 1000 size today again with nitlon 2 kg braid , and After around an hour and a half of casting hard bodies around into the wind the line still looked as if it had been laid on by hand.small reel yes but line capacity is no probolem as i was fishing tennyson beach ,with the exage stuck on an ian miller 2 to 4 kg raider rod with a gulp sand worm then lost half my line in about 10 seconds got a couple of turns back then all the way to the last few loops to the backing then 30 mins later landed a good eagle ray .cheapish reel but has always done what its needed to do. well thats my 2 cents make of it what you will. MARK

• 2 months later...

I am a real Diawa fan and love the little Sols for the money. The 2500 Sol is such a versitile reel with two spools and two rods you could use it on everything from trout to snapper just have a spool of top shotted 6lb braid and use on your light rod then a spool with 20lb braid and a heavier rod for snapper plastics. I have a couple of the Diawa 3000 Bravia reels that have cuaght everything from 15kg long tail tuna, spannish mackerel and large impondment barra to pan size snapper matched to an Egrell S10 rod its a versitile weapon.

Have a chat to Kym or Dubs out at Salisbury Tackleworld, I'm sure the'll see you right !thefunkychicken wrote:

I've got a Shimano Exage 2500 that I got a couple of years ago for a bit over $100 and I'm very pleased with it.

Ive got the Exage FA2500 also, and love it ! Fished under a 702 catana rod, it's a very effective tool.Picked up the rod and reel for $75 secondahnd :cheer: After landing this on it,Posted Image my next targets a decent Red ;) :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • 2 weeks later...

HERE' MY 2 cents worth Ihave had both for 12 months now and happy with thier performance Cap. 3lb Fluro Carbon 100m , PE 0.8 100m , Ideal 4-6lb Braid , Weight 210g , Ratio 5:1Shimano ELF 1000S & 2500STuned Shallow SpoolMade For Lure Fishing Drag is Tuned to 2kgOther Features :5 Bearings (4 ARB)Machined Aluminum HandleSR Reliance SystemMaintenence PortAero Wrap II Line ManagementWater Proof Drag System149.00Cheers Mark

southie wrote:

i just bought a new shimano symetre 1500 reel for my brand new berkley dropshot plastics rod and i think its the best balanced combo that ive ever had i love it.... its spooled with fins 6lb braid and its perfect for what i want it for.....

I also have a Symetre 1500 reel... only i have it on an original Squidgy Spin rod and have 4lb braid on it... ive had it for roughly 2 years now, have caught many a Reddy and Trout with it and still can not fault it at all, in fact i still reckon its the best reel i own :) :) :)
  • 3 weeks later...
You won't regret buying a SYMETRE they are awesome...! I've got 1 and it's faultless.... also can't go wrong with sedona's, saros' either...I am yet to service any of my "S" reels and not from slackness just don't need to... My daiwa caprice and capricorn I pull apart EVERY bloody time I use them (which is not very often now though mind you ;) ) still think they have thier merrits just not for ease of maintenance....! :S

Some really valuable advice has already been given, but If I was in your situation and have been many times before, I always try and get that bit more money together to jump into the next price bracket.I think you would be far better in looking for a garage sale reel off of a website called Plat.co.jp (Japanese online store - They sometimes have garage sales of new gear which is excess stock), and ordering a good quality Daiwa reel in about the 2000-2500 size. I definately think DAIWA is a far better built reel these days, and especially if you can buy a Japanese made reel.The other thing you could do is keep an eye on this site as often some extremely awesome deels come up, like the Shimano Stradic CI4 2500 that was up in the for sale section a week or two ago...I think Dancing Bream had it for sale.If you spent $200-$250 on a hardly used top quality reel in 2000-2500 size you will be getting far superior quality.I was lucky enough to pick up a Daiwa Luvias 2000 from a member on here for $250, and it has lasted me many years and I have slayed numerous big trout, big reddies and even caught rugger snapper on it. I now have it loaded with 6lb fireline and wow is it effortless to cast.I think reels such as the Daiwa SOL 2500 would be your best bet because as others have said, you can also use a reel like that for snapper fishing as well on a SP stick. The 7kg of drag then becomes one of the reels biggest assetts and makes it extremely versatile!!!Good Luck mate....and hey I know its hard to sometimes scrape up that extra 80 odd bucks but believe me if you can do it and have some patience, you will have a killer T-Curve combo and one that will be a joy to fish...