"Groups" are they working???

can someone answer if the "groups" sections are popular??seems to take away from the general interaction on the forum if they are.am I wrong on this assumption?? or are we turning into a group of "Readers" (read Lurkers?)many fishing reports seem to go unanswered or get 1 or 2 replies.must discourage new members from getting more involved IMHOany opinions ???

Rick, hopefully they are encouraging posters not just readers. Be it they feel more confortable or just have a sections for mates to talk openly without the rules, they have all sorts of applications.As you probably know, most have to be accepted into a group so hopefully your not going to just get the lurkers in there. I've got one in the woodworks at the moment, just trying to iron out a few things but it's hopefully going to be a place for interested parties to source specific ionformation that others may not want public. Many application for them... only limited by ones mind. It has the potential to be a potent database !! ;) It would be good to see more people check them out though. :)

Hey Rick I was lurking in the background and wasnt going to answer your post but then I thought what the heck :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Im not sure on the official response from the crew on how popular the groups are but my own personal feeling is that they are not the cause of the lack of reports on the site.I think unfortunately there is a growing trend and I might add not just this site but all fishing sites I frequent for posters of reports to get criticized or knocked for what they write.Back in the early days I seriously loved to write about my fishing adventures with my good mate Chuck but over the years I have learnt to keep them to myself to avoid the hassles. Ive coped some abuse along the way from those that think for various reasons I should keep my mouth shut and not take photo's or lately the vids that come out of Thrillseeker Productions which are giving too much away etc etc Ive had em all not to mention those that call you a liar. Some of the bream trips we have done over the past 18 months would blow your average fisho away with the numbers and size of the fish we are catching. We have perfected our own method which has been giving us the great results. We fish because we love doing it, we've done the comp scene which was fun but we both know that the style of fishing we do is best done with your mates and lets face it, is there really any other way.I agree with you that its a pity we no longer get the story tellers like Waterboy whose great epics always started with get yourself a drink and make yourself comfy.I can think of many that would write great reports but sadly are no longer online and my love of taking fish photo's was so strong back then. Both Chuck and myself have won a few comps with our photo's and would put plenty of thought into how we framed each shot.I sincerely hope that amongst some of the young guns we see an emergence of writers that can once again entertain us and those that want to bitch shut up and leave them alone or better still write a bloody ball tearer report themselves and put their keyboard where their mouth is.Finally ask Chuck for a copy of our Mully Hunters Video if you want to be blown away by what we have caught on video. We've got a spot that is awesome and unique, its our little slice of heaven and going by the calendar the pair of us are starting to get excited again.Well so ends todays rant and rave :laugh: cheers mate snapps

I Love a good fishing story as well! Im still relatively new to fishing and like to share my experiences with like minded fisho's and watching people go from donuts to full bags in the space of a few months, with handy tips and hints from these very forums.Having said that, I don't post every trip i've been on and I don't always take photo's and i will have a look at some reports and not comment on them mostly if i am rushed for time! Then will wait a couple of days and reply!On the stance of groups i dont think that they take posts away from the forums they are just another place for people to sort of chat and share some spots they may not want the majority to know about, Which they wouldn't be sharing anyway and fair enough! Personally i dont care if people see what lure im using or where im fishing as i dont have a 'secret' spot yet and as i go fishing more i will still be putting up posts and photos! that is just my opinion.Cheers Reelin

im a member of 2 groups, one i run.. and a third group soon.. hopefully ill also be admin of, i belive in their worth to the members as only as much as they put in. my Carping group has A LOT OF LURKERS and this really annoys me. as it started as a close knit bunch who met up down the river and decided to make a group so we could organise trips and share tips. we also openly post our trips via the forum.. tho our carping threads havnt been as prolific of late due to low catches or softy not doing anything stupid enough for me to write about ;)I will be conducting a Cull of Idling members from the carping group as with a big group of people who neither fish with us or share information with us they don really add anything to the group. tonight i had 4 of us members fishing together and showing Rocknev how its done ;)the new group ill be part of will be a strict membership list with VERY specific qualifications to enter. this group will hopefully allow many of us members on here to speak openly about various things we share in common. so in my mind yes the groups do work. they play a part in sharing the not so "open" information with the specific people that you want to share with. with out the risk of your tips/spots etc being stolen by idlers and lurkers.im also guilty of not writing up atleast 2 trip reports of decent worth.. 1 was no fish but a lot of fun.. the othe ra week long trip i took by myself with 2 decent rock snapper landed in my travels.. i have my notes for that one.. and ill sit down one of these nights and do it up...got another trip planned this weekend.. so looks like ill be a busy lil writer again soon..

It is sad to see that a few no longer wish to share their experiences for fear of being put down, either due to not catching or out dated gear or not the right type of fish. Most join these types of boards to share their fishing stories or for a few hints and tips while trying new avenues of fishing or new to fishing altogether. I have thought for a while that the groups may have taken people away from the general discussion board. Fishing reports can be very generalised as far as locations and secret baits go and if you dont wanna share secrets with everyone there is always the pm option where spot x can be divulged to someone you believe to be trustworthy ;):):)

great replies in that lot. thought provoking.

There is nothing like a good fishing story and hopefully more people put them up. Its a great way to encourage others that may have been a little slack or couldnt find the time to get enthused and out fishing again

I think we would agree with that comment VB. forums have definately given me the encouragement to try different fishing styles.interesting to read members feelings on the "negative replies" affecting their postings.would be good to continue discussing this and try and work things out.in the meantime, let's All try to make an extra effort to make an interesting reply when a report goes up. especially the younger and the newer members. don't go overboard, but if one can see a report going unanswered, make a positive comment to bring it to the top again.I could link heaps of fantastic fishing reports that have little response. (mostly mine :laugh::laugh::laugh: )Rick
  • 2 weeks later...

i can relate to many of the comments already mentioned although i have not had any negative stuff thrown my way i have had a thread left unanswered and thought i had offended someone (or everyone).i must confess that i probably fit into the category of lurker due to my low post count but having less than 18 months of serious fishin experience feel that i am scarcely qualified to give advice, but i do give karma. i am also no wordsmith and practice the theory that it "better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt", something i really wish i had learned in my teens!!!having said that i may well be a lurker, this does not mean that i skulk around the site trying to get as many spots and secrets i can. i firmly believe in practice and field work which is why i spend 20+ hours a week with a rod in my hand. :Pi am making some serious progress and will soon be capable/willing of providing worthwhile advice. willing in the sense that i will know which spots i am willing to share. until then i shall stick to reading the words of writers such as waterboys adventures or ranger and his proof that the pen(keyboard) is truly mightier than the sword! as for the groups, i joined three when the site was upgraded, 1 is no more from memory(the element) and the other 2 i have not contributed much and now i feel bad for it. i could blame lack of time but probably boils down to laziness and the aforementioned lack of experience, but i shall endeavor to be more active now that this 'lurker' tag has been thrown on the table. tis a very ugly word, dirty in a peeping tom kind of way :laugh::laugh::laugh: Keen?

Mr Keen wrote:

i can relate to many of the comments already mentioned although i have not had any negative stuff thrown my way i have had a thread left unanswered and thought i had offended someone (or everyone).i must confess that i probably fit into the category of lurker due to my low post count but having less than 18 months of serious fishin experience feel that i am scarcely qualified to give advice, but i do give karma. i am also no wordsmith and practice the theory that it "better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt", something i really wish i had learned in my teens!!!having said that i may well be a lurker, this does not mean that i skulk around the site trying to get as many spots and secrets i can. i firmly believe in practice and field work which is why i spend 20+ hours a week with a rod in my hand. :Pi am making some serious progress and will soon be capable/willing of providing worthwhile advice. willing in the sense that i will know which spots i am willing to share. until then i shall stick to reading the words of writers such as waterboys adventures or ranger and his proof that the pen(keyboard) is truly mightier than the sword! as for the groups, i joined three when the site was upgraded, 1 is no more from memory(the element) and the other 2 i have not contributed much and now i feel bad for it. i could blame lack of time but probably boils down to laziness and the aforementioned lack of experience, but i shall endeavor to be more active now that this 'lurker' tag has been thrown on the table. tis a very ugly word, dirty in a peeping tom kind of way :laugh::laugh::laugh: Keen?

Experience is great but inexperience doesnt mean you have nothing to contribute. There are quite a few very experienced fishos on this site and I for 1 am grateful for the info that they share. But an inexperienced fishos thoughts can be just as well respected. Maybe you have a new take on a certain fishing style or have read about a new knot to use????? :huh: Everyone can learn something new and sometimes fresh eyes can be the best teacher :cheer:

I have finally joined a group, SAFWAA so I can see what goes on now.The group format does not look like a report friendly section as I had first thought. good for sharing private information though.mr keen, I never give fishing advice because I am one of those "jack of all trades, master of none"but I love to do a fishing/outdoors report with photos to share with others. I love reading others reports and try to reply to show that I enjoyed the read and appreciate the posters efforts.like you mr keen, I have had posts unanswered. it definately slows down/stops my input and I just go back into "lurker" mode.

Well for me, I've just been too busy to worry about too much, other than paying the bills :( & gearing up to survive another winter :unsure: .Couple of the groups I've joined don't have a lot going on & my own, well reread the second line.In the Tackleworld Tacklerats group, I did offer :dry: to source any "TOO HARD STUFF" & on a couple of occasions have delivered, but guess what, the "TOO HARD" items are just that & are still sitting in my shop :angry: .So much for being the nice guy.They probably will have a birthday or 3 :woohoo: & that very fact will have y'all understand why shop owners do little to go out of their way for "TOO HARD" stuff :S .Now recently, it had been suggested in a post that I had contributed too, that I always post negatives :blink: & that this was unacceptable from a site sponsor, having accepted that I am not allowed to defend or justify my actions or words, I hope in this case y'all will see the positives of this post ;) .My passion & generosity above, was positively, a total waste of my time :kiss: & my business cashflow.Scath me as you see fit for suggesting such & posting "Negatively" depending on how you see it, but remember something my grandfather told me many years ago,"Beware the toe you step on today, as tomorrow it may be connected to leg of your next boss"Finatic

Not sure whether I missed something or not reading finatic's post.Point is if one can't express an opinion whether positive, negative or in between than what is the point of posting posts ?It should not matter who you are, one should be able to speak it's mind.If I see something I don't like I skip it simple.

Yep, Think I missed the same thing Pescados :blink: ,to say I was ticked at suggestion of "CONTINUAL NEGATIVITY" :angry: & to insinuate a site sponsor has no right to replyget a life,build a bridge,hijack a plane,or whatever makes you feel good,but leave me alone.I will call it as I see it, like it , lump it or suck it.Finatic

finatic wrote:

& to insinuate a site sponsor has no right to replyFinatic

Who insinuated that ???So ok for a site sponsor to sponsor a site (money wise) but not allowed to have an opinion or have his/her say !!Well whoever made that comment it is certainly one hell of a way to get a sponsor offside and withdraw sponsor ship.