The Unexpected

While checking my mail yesterday I happened across an envelope addressed to me from a tacklestore.Being much more interesting that a bank statement, transport SA or one from my proctologist, I decided to open this letter first.Much to my surprise it was a $100 voucher made out to me! :huh: I had no idea what this was for, or about, and thought that it might actually be a mistake of some kind, so I phoned the tackletore to find out a bit more, and to get them to check their records, fearing someone is sitting back waiting for their $100 voucher which will never arrive.It turned out to be no mistake!The guy on the counter had to go away and check, then call me back later, but it appeared someone came into the store, slapped $100 on the counter and said "Ranger recently helped me to purchase a boat, can you send him a gift voucher!"I sometimes get down being a moderator here. I get to see the worst side of everything. All the arguements, shitfights, complaints, accusations, problems and the like and I sometimes wonder if it's all worth while.Sometimes unexpected stuff like this happens though, which restores my faith, lifts me up and gives me the will to carry on.Many many thanks to Dubs64. It was completely unnecessary. I didn't help because I expected something in return, I helped because I wanted to see you start off on the right foot and not do ya dough on a lemon. It IS very much appreciated though! Thanks again!Posted Image

Genuine care & generosity are a rare find in 2010,It's everyman for himself & screw whoever's in the way.Ranger, I could think of few more deserving to be on the end of the take than you, in my time of knowing you I've seen you do little other than give expecting nothing in return other than satisfaction.Dubs64, congrats on being man enough & humble enough to express a little thankyou.Have a karma & a $20 voucher waiting for you out this side of town when you next visit.Finatic

Del wrote:

Ranger... whats on your shopping list?? few more sx40's?

You're pretty close! So that I don't have to carry my entire kit with me on the kayak, I've got a tiny little pocketsized tacklebox I want to fill with a handful of assorted hardbodies, blades and jigheads just to keep on the kayak.
Del wrote:

yep i have an old CD walkman bag i use as a shoulder bag with SPs in it, it also holds 2 of the smaller plastic trays. one full of jig heads the other has smaller HBs in it. all of that is basically my instantly available fishing tackle for a quick flick.

What a good idea! I've been wondering what I can chuck a coupla packets of gulp and a roll of leader into. Mind if I steal your idea?

Nice feedback guys!It has been a real experience going from ABSOLUTELY no experience to ... well ... not much more actually.$100 is way cheap when I think about the boat I probably would have ended up in!I am still mourning the weekend fun car ... but the family loves the boat and the fish.Have only used the boat at the mouth but after being there I am reasonably confident I could handle a trip to Victor Harbor soonish.And thanks to Dubs the Tackle Man. I have rellies at Salisbury I will come in and say gday.Truth is though I bought the voucher over the phone though Ranger.I was waiting for a case of wine from a mate down here but the bugger didn't come through! Sorry Ranger fishing gear it will have to be!

Del wrote:

yep i have an old CD walkman bag i use as a shoulder bag with SPs in it, it also holds 2 of the smaller plastic trays. one full of jig heads the other has smaller HBs in it. all of that is basically my instantly available fishing tackle for a quick flick.

I really should do that because carrying around 2k worth of lures is gonna come back to bite me but i'm always a"just in case" type of guy. cheers brenton
brenton wrote:

Del wrote:

I really should do that because carrying around 2k worth of lures is gonna come back to bite me but i'm always a"just in case" type of guy. cheers brenton
2k of lures......that's a lot of hardware :ohmy:
Johnny Rotten wrote:

2k of lures......that's a lot of hardware :ohmy:

Not really! These days lures are $20-30 apiece on average, so the dollars click over very very quickly. For 2k we're only talking about 80 lures, give or take.On average I'd imagine most lure fishos would easily acrue a couple of hundred lures.

it adds up fast... believe me...i stopped fishing for a long time.. but since i got back into it in the last couple of years.. easy spent a couple thousand.. then add in buying a 4wd for fishing/camping trips and doing 11,000km in 6 months.. on fishing trips alone... then upgrading that vehicle.. so much for a cheap relaxing past time :P

I just did a huge tackle cull for the kayak! I'm not carrying my entire kit around on it, so the big tacklebag stays on the boat, but for the kayak I've selected a couple of chubbies, a couple of vibes, few deep diving bibbed minnows, a few shallow diving and a couple of surface. All told about 12 lures which fit into one side of a very small double sided tackle box, and the other side holds a selection of jigheads. This tacklebox is small enough to fit into the pocket of a Columbia shirt (which do have pretty big pockets), so then I just need a pair of forceps, braid scissors, and a roll of leader in the other pocket and I'm also carrying 4 packets of sp's. 2 x Gulp worm (natural and camo), 1 x Gulp shrimp (Banana prawn), 1 x Atomic fatgrub (motoroil).Add to this the landing net, measure, and tackleback which are kept on the kayak.Camera, Vegemite Sandwiches, cold drink, pfd, knife, sounder, neoprene boots, hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, jacket, rod/reels, drogue...........SH*T, I'M STILL CARRYING HALF A BL**DY TACKLESTORE! :( How DO you ruthlessly cull gear to carry on the kayak and what else CAN be left behind? :dry: