smell that --- i can

k guys and gals as stated in the shout box i have just gone to clean out my 70ltr ice box and discovered a lonley looking blue swimmer in about 3 inches of water creating a nice consistent soup looking liquid with an smell that would turn a jerbals stomach inside out...three questions 1 how do i get this smell out of my esky... :blush: 2 how do i get this smell out of my skin... :blink: 3 why the hell did i pick the crab up in the first place :huh::huh: can you smell that do you live in the nth eastern suburbs hahaha your about to ................

Sheesh... I can smell it from down south. Try using vinegar to get rid of the smell. I had the same problem in December during that heat wave, I didn't realise a mate had left some KGW frames in a plastic shopping bag in a bucket in my boat and found it 3 days later..... that smell just doesn't wash off your skinWell, at least I killed about 3 million flies in process who had drowned in the liquid

not sure but aren't smells created by bacteria, and if so an anti-bacterial type of disinfectant or wash should be the go shouldn't it? i use an anti-bacterial wash to help reduce the lasting smell of pillie hands with half decent resultsas i said, not sure about the cause of the smell being bacteria. i have a cheap eski down by the back fence that i have cut out of the loop because it has gone bad thru no fault of its own and am waiting for a day when i know the neighbors will have windows shut before attempting to discard the gent croutons in old bait broth!!late return + depleted grey matter + heat wave = very dead eski! might have to give it a crack and get back to ya'skenny said it best, "a smell that will outlast religion!"keenp.s. any other remedies for pillie hand would be greatly appreciated by the missus :P

go to an industrial cleaning supply shop and get a product called 'stink off' it's what professional cleaners use.I use it occasionally on my big wheelie bin at home, it only takes about 10ml and fixes up that squid gut smell that occurs after the bin has'nt been emptied out for a couple of weeks in 35 degree heat ;) cheers wes

Baker_24 wrote:

get stainless steel soap.. i made up my own and i keep it in the boat at all times.. it gets rid of the smell!! if you dont have any stainless soap, use your sink in the kitchen.. works just aswell..Andrew

Saw something aBOut that on "My KitchenRules " last night.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel_soapStrange but apparently true :huh:

I thought everyone was aware of this these days.Stainless steel is great for removing smells like fish, onions, etc. I always keep a cake on the kitchen sink.Stainless steel 'soaps', are just hunks of stainless steel that are about the same shape and size as a bar of normal soap, and are readily available in kitchen supply and homeware stores.

Search for "stainless steel" and "odor removal" and you'll find a lot of sources to buy objects made of stainless steel that claim to remove the odors that cling, like garlic and onion. You'll find dozens of sources that recommend stainless steel to remove cooking odors and you'll find researchers that insist there's no scientific evidence that stainless steel actually removes odors any better than plain soap and water. Before spending the money on one of these gleaming blocks--or dismissing them as a scam--consider a few facts about the material and its targets. Stainless steel is a composite material made of steel alloy with chromium. The result is a material that resists rusts and stains, is easy to keep clean and is adaptable for everything from construction materials to kitchen utensils to sculpture. Stainless steel's corrosion resistance is due to "passivation"--a self-restoring layer of chromium oxide that protects the surface of the steel. As the layer wears off, the chromium grabs more oxygen from the air, renewing itself and keeping the steel from oxidizing or rusting. This characteristic means that if the surface is scratched or scrubbed, removing the layer, the process of passivation yields and gathers oxygen to protect the underlying metal. Whether this oxygen exchange or some other quality of chromium ionization is unique enough to interact with and neutralize garlic odor is the unanswered question. Foods like onion and garlic, both members of the allium genus of plants, contain chemicals that form sulfurous compounds when they react with the air, which means that they grab nitrogen, oxygen or hydrogen. Onion forms sulfur oxides and sulfuric acid when cut. For many years, cutting onions under water and splashing one's eyes with cold water before cutting onions have been ways cooks have avoided tears due to the chemicals formed by onions and air. Garlic forms allyl methyl sulfide, a compound that does not break down in the body but is expelled through pores and breath. It may be possible that flushing these compounds with extra oxygen might help disperse the compounds and therefore the odor. Instructions that come with the stainless steel eggs and bars direct that they be used under running water. Perhaps some kind of oxygen exchange occurs between the sulfur compounds, water and chromium oxide. Whether the combination of water and stainless steel is more effective than water and, say, coffee grounds, lemon juice, toothpaste or vinegar or some other folk remedy, some inquisitive graduate student will have to discover. At present, no scientific evidence exists to prove that stainless steel works better than more traditional remedies.

I had left some whiting slime in my esky and two weeks later jumped in the boat and thought why was the lid down I normally leave it open, and the smell I could hear the neighbour's dog dry reachingAll you can do is clean it the best you can and just using it the smell will go it is a fish esky after all you don't really wont to use harsh cleaners stick to food grade stuff or sell it on eBay ;)

I had a small esky that 2 weeks after new year i was wondering why it was in the garage with the lid shut? I made the almighty mistake of opening it while breathing and retched as there was old cockles and tube worms in water that I had forgot to empty! :S I dry retched and shut the lid! I couldn't justify throwing it out at home for the smell so I took it to work and put it in a garbage bag that was going to the wingfield dump! Then I rinsed the esky out with industrial tank cleaner it still smelled after soaking all day and I took it home and soaked it in bleach them detergent! It still smelt a bit but it's alright now and I have stored fish in it and ate them and I'm not dead yet! :laugh: :dry:

Ah the stinky eski what a topic carps, I'm 1 that constantly thinks its alright to leave it till tomora :laugh: thought I would have learnt by now.Yesterday we went snapper fishing, and for any1 that hasnt cleaned snapper it has to be the worst smelling guts in the fish world.Anyway cleaned the fish bagged the guts and chucked it in the freezer, later on I went and checked that the fish were freezing and I was punched in the face with this horific smell, straight away I think the missis is going to shoot me :laugh: so I double bag it this time and stuck it out side as the bins had already been emptied this week.I thought I would take the bag and dispose of the guts at my local shop on my way into work this morning, now my car has been stained with the stench and it must have burnt into my nose because I can still smell it.Good luck carps may the oddur gods be on your side if they are send them to my house need some help with the freezer b4 the missis notices :lol: dubs