Jarvis Walker any good

I have a Jarvis Walker 12' surf rod,Is Jarvis Walker any good.What sort of reputation do they have,Do they handle any good when fishing.Is it worth buying Jarvis Walker. :huh: With a lot more fishing exspirience than me i thought you pro's can help me out and give me your feedback.Thanks for your advice members and helping me out,Marc

Guest shagging

Bottom end of the market! but it also depends what people can afford,some of the combo's they sell are a great starting point for the kids,as they tend to break things lol.I have owned only a couple a JW reels and to be honest there's not much in them to break! but you can so tell the difference when you use a daiwa or shimano.But i wont get to technical cos they all pretty much do the same thing as long as you can reel in a fish your ok weedie! :):)

not sure about the reels but the rods are ok i wouldnt go chasing large jewies with one cos im sure it will end up in half but for things like salmon i think it would be fine. You will tend to find things like the eyelets pop out of the guides and the epoxy that is used to secure the guides will begin to chip and crack. But if ur prepared to chuck it and buy another it'll do the job no worries B)

It is what it is!If you don't wanna go out and buy a Sage, St Croix or Loomis from your top of the line angling supplies outlet, then you can always nip in to Big-W and pick up Andrew Ettinghousen budget priced fishing combos for you and the kids at a tenth of the price.It all depends on what you want, how much cash you have, and how serious you are about it!The Jarvis Walker gear will still catch those Whiting, Tommies and squid off the jetty, and ya family will still have a great day out!

Guest Noob fisher

my jarvis walker snapped at the join of the two piece while fighting the biggest carp ive seen, but it still fits into the hole with a bit of pushing and shoving, hte reel is abit worse for wear

I have thrashed my jarvis walker rods, treated them like dirt yet I still take me $36 combo to the rocks for fishing for snapper. Upgrade the reel though or takes spares haha. It tool ALOT of force for me to break a 12ft surf rod from JW... im talking i had it very well snagged, and was almost putting all my weight behind it to pull it out til it eventually snapped the rod. I was getting shitty and this rod cost me $36 so thought i might see how easily it broke. Under 90% of normal conditions you would have to be unlucky to snap their 12ft surf rods.

i have a jarvis walker 10ft rod, missus won it in a raffle... i was like HO HUM.... then i hooked a honking eagle ray with it... i was most impressed.... i actually tried to break it, but it handled the ray with ease... a 45 inute battle, but got it to shore then cut it off... but this was a jarvis walker rod and reel combo from 20 yrs ago.. dont know what they are like now... but that one sure is a top rod....

Guest shagging
rocknev wrote:

i have a jarvis walker 10ft rod, missus won it in a raffle... i was like HO HUM.... then i hooked a honking eagle ray with it... i was most impressed.... i actually tried to break it, but it handled the ray with ease... a 45 inute battle, but got it to shore then cut it off... but this was a jarvis walker rod and reel combo from 20 yrs ago.. dont know what they are like now... but that one sure is a top rod....

JW 20 years ago nev! was a better product" till it started going the cheap and nasty root,but like i said before good brand to thrash aroundnot much in the reels to break realy. :)

Jarvis Walker used to be good but now coz its the cheapy it isn't the best. I've managed to go through about 5 of those $30 combo rods and they all came to the same fate of the guides falling off or the tips snapping for almost no reason. I still use the broken rocks for squid and things (even if it's broken, if it works it works) but now use my Shimano if I'm actually targetting fish.

Guest Brent61southoz

going back in the 70's , JW were great solid fibreglass rods , as cheapies landed on the market, mum n dads money in the late 80's into the 90's left the jw range.to compete for the market there was a huge drop in quality.sadly now i wouldnt buy one but could be good for kidsjust my opinionbrent

I don't mean to be harsh but in all seriousness, Jarvis Walker would probably be about the worst name in tackle that i could thing of.Weedie save your money and get almost anything else. Its great to get on here and recommend gear that is budget friendly but seriously, you dont have to spend much more to get something that is going to perform a lot better and last a lot longer provided that you take care of it. Some of the newer penn and pfluger gear are good examples.

tom1234 wrote:

was annoyed didnt get it on the gear we spents all the buks on owell

Yep Tom for sure,the fish dont care or know the difference,I laugh when I look through the for sale section some times,people say that a certain rod is an awesome mully ,bream , or whatever stick,then go on to say brand new,or only used once .How would they know how awesome it is if its new or used once,surely that it would of have to be used heaps of times or at least caught a few fish on it to come to that conclusion! :woohoo:

Up until about 2 years ago,I had a Jarvis Walker "Black Queen" estuary rod.......about 7 feet in length and rated at 5 to 12 lb from memory.....a great solid fibre glass rod,with the old stainless steel ferrule.....caught plenty of fish as well.Paid about $30 for it 25 odd years ago.Saw a brand new one in K-mart the other day.......exactly the same as I remember......and was $35......and was twice as good looking as the "no-name" that was twice the price.........

I have an old 5ft solid fibreglass JW rod with wooden handle stainless seat ect thats a great little stick for big cod.also have a couple of newer baitfishing rods that are great and almost unbreakable on these I have JW 6000 size tournament reels that where valued at $120 around 5 years ago and they havent missed a beat.I think their supa cheap stuff is rubbish but what isn't at those prices? spend a little more-$100-$200 and they have some very reliable gear.cheers wes