snyderglas gets a birthday

its time... the 25yr old snyderglas 8153 regal is getting a birthday... much needed i might add..not worn out but im just not happy with the threadwork.so she getting stripped.the original binding..Posted Image this is when its been taken off and rubbed back with 400 grit wet and dry... Posted Imagequick wipe with a wet rag, and shes new again.Posted Imagethe first eye broke when i tried to clean it.. rather than head into work to tig weld it up, i decided on a new one.the local tackleshop didnt have one in stock, but could order me one, so i headed off to a boat shop in the vain hope they would have one.luck would have it, they found one...the lad didnt know the price, so i said hows 10 bucks sound..SOLD... i couldnt believe it... an eye this size is a LOT more expensive that a 10er thats for sure.the old...Posted Image the newPosted Imageground down tips to make thread sit nicer... Posted Imagemarked off where the first guide is going for the underbinding...Posted Imagetried a few different colours.. red just didnt work, niether did blue, or orange..Posted Imagei tired a dark green, which looked ok, but i decided on a metalic green for the underbind... this is "A" thread... cant be used for actual tying as its too weak, but it should be fine for a backing.Posted Imagemore pics as i carry on.

im so glad i went with the metalic green... good ol aussie green and gold.Posted Imagefor thise wondering how you tie off the thread at the end, its like this.place a looped piece of thread under the wraps, and just keep wrapping..when you have a minimum of 5 ( i go bout nine to make sure ), at the end of the thread when you cut it, place through the loop, and slowly pull the 2 ends out.. this pulls the loop with the tail under the thread locking them in place.Posted Image when done, take off the tape...give the thread a rub to smooth it, ( also flattens where the lock was pulled through) and sit back and admire your work,...Posted ImagePosted Image

rocknev wrote:

try and put where you locked the threads through, at the bottom of the rod ( in this case) under where the guild foot will hide it...

Nev, to make an ever better finish, try to open where the tag end comes out a bit before cutting. Then cut the tag end as close as possible to the thread work, smooth out as mentioned and tag end is hidden. Far less chance of it burring and being unsightly when epoxied.
rocknev wrote:

have to admit though... this "A" size thread is pretty thin and snaps easily... beware....also try and put where you locked the threads through, at the bottom of the rod ( in this case) under where the guild foot will hide it...

Nev it's good to use "C" thread on surf rods and it doesn't take as much time to wrap it either.Cheers Darren
coonta kinta wrote:

rocknev wrote:

try and put where you locked the threads through, at the bottom of the rod ( in this case) under where the guild foot will hide it...

Nev, to make an ever better finish, try to open where the tag end comes out a bit before cutting. Then cut the tag end as close as possible to the thread work, smooth out as mentioned and tag end is hidden. Far less chance of it burring and being unsightly when epoxied.
good idea.... thanks
fishnuts wrote:

rocknev wrote:

have to admit though... this "A" size thread is pretty thin and snaps easily... beware....also try and put where you locked the threads through, at the bottom of the rod ( in this case) under where the guild foot will hide it...

Nev it's good to use "C" thread on surf rods and it doesn't take as much time to wrap it either.Cheers Darren
yep.... im using "C" for the actual binding.. the :A: is just for the backing... not really needed, but when i do a rod i always put a backing down

LTFISH made me some rollers, the thread tensioner, and knocked up an electric sewing machine motor to turn the rod when drying.top job he did as well, but i just cant seem to get it slow enough without it jerking.so i bit the bullet and bought a spit roast rotator. tig welded up a simple bracket, and stuck a bit of 8mm tool key steel in the end. found a bit of hard nylon laying around, so that got drilled out and i tapped the end of the key steel to accept a bolt.the rubber will acept a small rod butt easily, but for the big snyder butt, it will be duct taped to the end so it can slowly turnthat wont be for a few days yet though... ive got 5 more eyes to do yet, THEN it will be epoxied, some marbling done, then varnished... i have eye strain, and a sore arse and back from sitting on a wooden stool all day, but ya get that.Posted Image

Dubs The Tackle Man wrote:

hey nev,Nice work there mate she sure is getting a birthday, a lil tip is to rub the thread with the flat part of a butter nice fills in any lil spots where you havent got properly.Coontas methos will work but can be difficult, the rubbing of a knife will do the same thing.Dubs

thanks matey... in one of the pictures, i have a little tool i picked up at spotlight...it accpets a blade, and a few other attachments... one of which is a flat bottomed thingo, that is nice and comfy to use... its rounded on the bottom slightly so it doesnt pick up and threads.
SandyWhiting wrote:

Nice work there, was that the BIG bag of cotton u had slung over ya arm :laugh::laugh: Speaking Of Jas, have u heard from him, hope he is getting settled in..

i heard from jason last week, saying he got there sade, and was halfway through unpacking... ive sent him a few messages, and rang a few times, but jason , being jason, who is even more laid back than me :laugh: just doesnt answer his phone..case in point.. last time we went for a fish, i sent him a message, that i would drop my mirrors,( the terrano has electric mirrors unlike them cruddy old hilux's hahahahaha) so he could use his spotlights as he was travelling behind me on the way home...mind you.. not much chance of hitting a roo in a hilux... the rattling of the things scare the roos away long before any roos are seen... :) 3 days later, he checked his phone as he was sitting next to me on the way home from another fishing trip, and he says... " yeah mate,.... i will dip my headlights when i get home..."
Goldys_Fishin wrote:

Your doing a great job there mate, wish i could do that sort of thing and if it was up to me i would stick to the black trims. i like them better.Cheers Goldy

thanks mate... im also leaning towards the black trims... but for a trial, im=ve just gotta try gold trims...pics soon.
Goldys_Fishin wrote:

yeah gold will be intersting... looking forward to see it.

nope... gold was a fail.. because of the colour of the rod, it just couldnt be seen.so tried an orange, and that didnt work either,. went and bought a real fleckly gold instead, but hell that was that thin i couldnt put any tension on it without snapping it. going back the basic black.PROBLEM... im not going to have enough green to do the rest of the eyes...found an identical colour in spotlight, but same deal... thin as buggery.one last avenue to take before i am forced to stop work.. rang a local rod builder, but hes on night shift... so with a bit of luck, he will have some to sell me... im expecting a return phone call this arvo some time.if i have to order some, thats going to be the killer... it doesnt have an exact colour name on the spool...so depending on what the pics i have to go by determins what shade i may end up with.... :(

ok... since i dont have enough green left to finish it, i epoxied the 2 completed eyes... this really bought out the sparkle in the green and took on a deeper look..but i bit hard to see in the pics.mixed up a bit too uch epoxy, so i did the wood butt, to ready it for some marbling when ive finished all of the eyes. its now on the rotator for 24 hrs...heading to tackle shop now to try and get some thread ordered...Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

i ordered some thread today... no gaurentee it will be the same shade, but i also made a phone call this morning. the guy rang me back,, and i walked the 50 mtrs to his house... he had 2 rolls of metalic green, which he said were mine... nope.. i gave him a 20, but he said no way... a 5er will do..they are ever so slightly different, but hardley notciable.. but he suggested, just rip everything off and start again if its a worry. its not really a worry to me, as ive only got 3 eyes, towards the top, with only a tiny tad of green which will be on show, and the top eye, which i intend to do in white to make it easier to see at nighttime. he then asked me how i was going with the rod, then without asking, he took me in his shed, and showed me a trick or two.. believe me.. this bloke made it look so easy.. i had a look at his collection of rods, which he had built..as good a quality as any out there i tell ya. the amasing bit? i spotted a surf rod hanging up. " hey thats a snyderglas i reckon" i was close... it is a commerative rod, built by butterworth/snyder...the thread is real gold impregnated...they made 5 of these rods when the partnership started, and he has one of them.and a certificate to prove it...such a gentleman, who made what im doing look so easy...he even offered to show me how to do the custom weaving stuff at a later date...

inspirational... and here i am.. just doing a sand back stain/ re seal/glass! i was 12 when i first worked on my 14' surf rod.. my 650 C beside me.. handed down from my step father to me.. im 30 now.. and im.. sanding it back.. and re doing her.. giving the old girl some TLC eyes still seem ok. so wont be going all out like nev. but these threads certainly get the juices flowing!!!

del as per text mesg.... give it a real birthday... you wont regret it...my rod will be unique now, and worth all the more to me.this work im doing is addicitve... when the big 153 snyder is done, the 144 snyder will also get a birthday. and some custom touches as well...proof of the quality of that big snyder, is the truth that ive only replace thefirst big eye, that was broken,... i could have tog welded it up, and used it again, but a steal of a bu at 10 bucks for a new eye i just couldnt pass up.all the other eyes and the line tab at the base of the rod are the original 30yr old stuff... and never looked better.

ive snapped the butt off mine.. and I had to bore it out and redo it all. so have certainly put in the hours previously with this rod. ill continue hte sand down.. and take a 2nd and third inspection of the eyes. i dont have a rotator or a shed to work in.. so this is all done outside an hour or 2 at a time. if it came to it.. id pay the money to get it treated right... from a professional rod builder. these rods are irreplaceable!

Del wrote:

ive snapped the butt off mine.. and I had to bore it out and redo it all. so have certainly put in the hours previously with this rod. ill continue hte sand down.. and take a 2nd and third inspection of the eyes. i dont have a rotator or a shed to work in.. so this is all done outside an hour or 2 at a time. if it came to it.. id pay the money to get it treated right... from a professional rod builder. these rods are irreplaceable!

del i will take a few more pics of the rotator bracket i made up for the cheap bbq spit motor i bought from the hardware store. no doubt you can get one cheaper than i can, and someone close by should be able to knock you up a simple bracket to mount it.my bracket took me all of 20 mins with a guiltine and a tig welder to make.its cheap, works, and will make that legendary rod you have all the better.mine is also not being done in a shed, but it is under a veranda.
Del wrote:

im completely open air...dad/Wedge tail might be able to weld what is needed.. and p/browns can cut to size etc... but in reality.. its a once off.. i wont be doing this again for a a very long time..

should be able to get out of it for around 40-50 bucks... if your like me, when you have finished and admired your work, you will do it again... if not, im sure someone on this forum will buy what you have made up.

true... i find the work very relaxing. similar to when im working on cars. i love the hand cut and polish work.. the classic car touch.. all done by hand.. the rod is taking on that feeling... i have a sneaking suspicion i might be scouring a few garage sales around here ;)

well all thread work complete, and slowly turning now to dry the epoxy resin.decided not to attepmt marbling on this rod... its just too good a rod it will get a 2nd coat in the morning, then turn for another 24 hrs... then on goes the varnish to protect everything, followed by another 24 turn, then another varnish with yet again another 24 hr turn... phes.. im looing track of how many hours its going to turn for,.pics coming in the next few days....next is to start on the 12 ft snyderglas.i reckon the 12ft will get the marbling... its a marroon colour and hopefully will come out allright. but its just paint and epoxy..worst comes to worst, i can just sand it off.

i also live in the city.. in a second story unit.. with no private grounds to do the work in.. the thieves have taken my cars, motor bikes, esky.. and god knows how many thousands of $$ in Ebay stuff and bday/Christmas gifts left at my door via the stupid Aust post guys that still dont read the sign on my door not to leave articles unattended.no chance id leave the rod outside for 24hrs!

Del wrote:

i also live in the city.. in a second story unit.. with no private grounds to do the work in.. the thieves have taken my cars, motor bikes, esky.. and god knows how many thousands of $$ in Ebay stuff and bday/Christmas gifts left at my door via the stupid Aust post guys that still dont read the sign on my door not to leave articles unattended.no chance id leave the rod outside for 24hrs!

im hearing you... well im DONE with the rod.... shes all ready to go, new thread, epoxy, varnish, and i put a snapper sticker on it as well hahahahaaha.pics later... but i was not very happy when i varnished it... it looked great, UNTIL this morning, when i found a couple of bristles had came out of the vrush i used, and are now part of the rod.. i could dig em out, but that would leave a small divot in the varnish, so staying put there are...in 10 yrs time i will give it another bday hahahahanow waiting on thread, when that arrives, ive got my other snyder rod to do, followed by a factory snyder set up for an overhead, which im also going to do for the hell of it...this is addictive stuff i tell ya.