bait--daily limits

just curious im not sure if this has been asked before but im asking anyway..if you have your bag limit of whiting say and i decide to use one for bait am i allowed to then catch another one for the table..as this is technikly not releasing the fish have i broken any rules i know it cant be proven but i have still caught and personally used my quota ??????????????question 2 if you are not allowed to fillet your catch at sea does this rule become obsolete if using the fish being slaughtered for bait...just thinking out loud people wanna hear ya thought though :):)

Guest lloydy

if you have your bag limit of whiting say and i decide to use one for bait am i allowed to then catch another one for the table..

Thats like asking if you eat your quota for lunch, are you than allowed to catch more after lunch B)
Guest shagging

On your first question you can do whatever you want with that one fish and catch another as long as the momment you leave your fishing destination your qouta matches the bag limit of that species!But hear lies a problem in my eye's when your out fishing for say whiting and there realy on the bite and your catching 10 to 15 fish over your bag limit,before you get back you go through and keep the larger fish what do you do with the left over's? ie use one or too for bait? feed a pelican? throw them back in the ocean dead? mmm moraly wrong! but perfectly legal when you get to your car! or boat ramp when you have your limit on your person!Working on the second question lol! :)

Guest shagging

Well second questions easy! the way the rules are writen they are open to how you interpret them(very unfortunate by the way!) can you realy get pinched for filleting your catch of say gar? No if you say your using them for bait(when its so never gonna be the case) its the same as getting a fillet off your bait fish hooking it up and dropping it in the ocean! :)

The first question is a clear one as you can fillet and cook what you want on board but it MUST be consumed on the boat and IS included in your bag limit. So if you are on a boat alone and catch 10 squid and eat 5 you are only permitted to catch another 5 and you have your bag. I assume this is in place as people would possibly take advantage of this situation. I think this makes sense as why should you be allowed to take your limit and kill another fish for a different purpose. A limit is a limit :)The second question I would interpret as being allowed as long as nothing comes back to shore with you. As when you're at sea I don't think they could prove you don't intend on eating it or using it for bait. I happily fillet fish for bait when in a boat and always follow size regulations if using a fish thats requires such.As always I don't claim to know anything and these are just my interpetations and opinions :)Cheers

• 1 month later...

The bag limit refers to the amount of fish "Taken". Even if a fish is swimming around in a holding tank it is deemed to have been "Taken" Even if you intend to return the fish to the sea it is deemed to have been "Taken" until such a time as you return it. Conclusion:- You shall not have more than the bag limit ON BOARD at any time, dead or alive. There is NO ambiguity and NO grey areas. If you exceed the bag limit expect to pay the fine or worse.RogerG

The bag limits are the number of a species that you may catch within a twentyfour hour period. It does not matter if you are on a boat or not.If you think that it is legal to have 15 fish over the limit and chuck the smallest back after they have died then you will be breaking the law and deserve to be punished to the full extent of the law because that is just wanton vandalism and GREED!RogerG

I have good news, and I have better news!PIRSA Fisheries have now chosen to come in and participate here at Strikehook, to answer questions just as these and help us out with any information we may need.So if you need an answer, you can now go the the PIRSA forum, post your questions there, and ask the guys with all the correct answers! :)http://www.strikehook.com/forum/74-pirsa-fisheries