Yeah Brent, was great. How'd you fare with your snapper outing the other week mate?Alex, I tried plastics prior to them being on the chew, when they were on the chew I didn't have a change to grab my other rod as as soon as a fresh bait hit the water it was hammered!Insane stuff

Sweet action champ. Southern area I'm guessing.Interesting the whole bait debate... get it....Old stinky stuff versus fresh. You hear of the old pros.old boys that use stink rotten crap and smash em. On the other hand, guys will go out and catch the fresh for use straight away.Both work and both have their merits.What sort of depth were you fishing. Thinking of taking the boat out Friday night to chase some ;)

Yeah mate, was Southern area.I hear you, I thought it was a joke but my mate guaranteed me that when they "come on" it wont matter what is on the hook, sure enough, frozen heads of old tommy's and whiting, insane! Pieces of cuttle fish that have been in the sun all day, crazy!Plenty of berley, pillies and sauries, and tuna pellets worked a treat for us.I couldn't believe it!As for the depth Jags, we were only in about 24 foot ;)

FushLups wrote:

Yeah mate, was Southern area.I hear you, I thought it was a joke but my mate guaranteed me that when they "come on" it wont matter what is on the hook, sure enough, frozen heads of old tommy's and whiting, insane! Pieces of cuttle fish that have been in the sun all day, crazy!Plenty of berley, pillies and sauries, and tuna pellets worked a treat for us.I couldn't believe it!As for the depth Jags, we were only in about 24 foot ;)

24ft :blink::blink::blink: Ok, youv'e got my attention

top day out,.... nice fish as well. as for the bait, i like it stinky... but have also caught them on fresh...my pro snapper fisher mate, takes his bait out in winter, and leaves it on the grass for 4 days before using it...must be something in it if a proguy does it.got one of my best fish, after accidntly leaving a squid body in my bucket for 3 days in the middle of summer... christ the bloody thing was nearly glowing... bro said out it on a hook, so i did, slung it out and BANG... got nailed in less than a minute, while the bor using fresh squid never got a touch all night.

Top stuff Fush,So it was a calm night out there ?,it was was blowing here on the hills.I personally think you have to try a mixture of baits.I took the big Snap out with a Snook head.Sometimes it can be stinky squid heads.Just keep trying until one hits.

FushLups wrote:

Yeah Brent, was great. How'd you fare with your snapper outing the other week mate?Alex, I tried plastics prior to them being on the chew, when they were on the chew I didn't have a change to grab my other rod as as soon as a fresh bait hit the water it was hammered!Insane stuff

Fair enough! Top effort by the way

Hi GuysSome nice reds there, Interesting the few comments about snapper sizes and age.I have a bream hatchery we run a few months of the year to aid stocking a local river.The manual on bream also covers snapper.They grow quite fast in comparison to bream, 63 cm is prob at best 6-7years old.Also it is probably in its last years of spawning, snapper unlike bream start spawning from 4 years old and are finished by the time they are 10yrs old, although some continue to spawn the eggs are no longer viable and generally wont fertilise.Last year i went to the fremantle university and had a tour of there bream and snapper hatchery, and was quite interested to learn that they only spawned for 6-7 years unlike a bream which continues on till its death.Bream also become mature after 2-3 years and it is the maturing that stunts the grow rate , as all the spare energy goes into production of sperm/eggs.Where snapper mature a little later meaning they can grow faster until this time, so around 40cm in a few years, they then slow down for the next 6 years but still maintain a better growth rate then bream due to the fact they eat more fish then bream which is higher in protein.Bream spend most of there time eating mussels and cockle, oysters etc.Why???? because you are what you eat, shellfish are 70% roe (egg or sperm) so all the goodies are there for them to create there eggs.So it is really important to protect these fish in that period from 30cm to 70cm mark they are the breeders,But I also believe that the bigger fish involve themself in the spawning activity maybe from protection against predators that try and eat the eggs, or the smaller spawners.I am not expert on snapper, but from watching the bream in there breeding activity and as they are juveniles i have noticed one thing that had repeatedly suprised me, they larger older fish will swim with fish only 40mm in lenght, and never try and eat them, for some reason they know there own and leave them alone. Yet is a bait fish comes to close they will eat it.Anyway just some info i thought the snapper capital of oz might like to know.Some may not agree, but this information comes from a hatchery who have researched these guys alot.RegardsDan

I am always happy to give out info on bream as i know a bit about them as i have had plenty of failures while learning to get it right, I have a mate that works with them in research and interesting things are always popping up.Like a 63cm bream caught in the Tamar river aged at 24yrs old, unfortunatley it was killed but that is life, it was mounted and it quite impressivehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoN2JYaHm3AThis is a link to some underwater video, of bream being fed inside a tank at the hatchery some years ago.I dont have the underwater video anymore as vandles broke in and smashed it up.Kids have a go at breaking in every school holidays, over the past 3 years we have had over 6 breakins. They should be out fishing instead of recking thingsRegardsDan

• 2 weeks later...

interesting reading, if that's true then shouldn't our quotas n size limits almost be switched to protect the breeders?? makes for interesting discussion. catch fewer smaller ones then we we will get more larger ones to catch, and Keep if we want! Also, Nice session FL, i would be stoked with a session like that! ;)